Stylistic analysis of GSP and Diaz

Felsh

57-0
Banned
Reaction score
Wondering what you guys think of how these two match up. Lately I've been seeing more and more people claiming that Nick's style has nothing to offer GSP, but I really don't see it that way.

GSP's top control is really good, but imo the most dangerous person off of their back that he's fought was Condit, and he managed to remain pretty active and even pull off a sweep or two. I think Nick's guard is a caliber above Condit's. Nick has a much more aggressive, submission oriented ground-game, and I think it could pose problems.

Clearly GSP has the ability to dictate where the fight takes place, but I'm not convinced that he'll be able to relax anywhere the fight goes.

I've noticed that GSP's striking usually revolves around him bullying his opponent and pressing forward with a dynamic mixture of jabs/kicks. We've seen this against Condit (among others). But how will he respond to the pressure Nick will put on him? A lot of you will bring up the Condit fight to discredit Nick's striking, but I don't see that as a valid comparison. MMA math doesn't work, and GSP's style is different than Condit's. I would think GSP's best bet would to kick Nick's legs as much as possible. Regardless, I think the striking in this match will be much more competitive than people think.

IMO a hard fight to call, but being a fan of Diaz I am pulling for him to get the upset. I either see this as a submission or TKO finish from Nick, or GSP scores a UD.

Cliffs:

Diaz's BJJ and High pressure striking / GSP's great top-game and Dynamic striking

Who has the stylistic edge and why?

Any insight you'd like to share is welcome.

Unfortunately. GSP will follow Condit's gameplan to fight a Diaz.

It's not a hard fight to call unless you are a diaz fan. I don't really see how Nick Diaz can win. It's hard to even give him a punchers chance..

Stylistically, there's really no contest.

GSP sports designer suits

gsp_contest.jpg

while Diaz never even makes it to business casual.

nick_diaz_smile-e1329496076946.jpg

Unfortunately. GSP will follow Condit's gameplan to fight a Diaz.

You are one of the few people I've seen say this.

I really hope he doesn't, lol.

I don't see him striking that conservatively, as he usually likes to be the one pressing forward. I think a take-down clinic is a much more likely scenario, but I don't think it's as "safe" as people make it out to be.

It's not a hard fight to call unless you are a diaz fan. I don't really see how Nick Diaz can win. It's hard to even give him a punchers chance..

You don't think his BJJ will pose ANY problems to GSP at all?

A great thing about Nick is that he doesn't have the fear of the take down.

We saw Condit hesitate on the feet because of the threat of GSP's takedowns, Nick does not care about that. Diaz will be pressuring GSP from the word go.

I'm taking Diaz, all day.

GSP takes down Diaz approximately once per round and wins UD.

It's not that good of a style match for Nick.
The brothers Diaz struggle with guys that dictate where the fight takes place.

Usually it's them not finding their groove against wrestlers that have a slight amount of boxing. If they struggle with lesser boxers then GSP should destroy.

It isn't that people lay and pray them, it's just the guys that don't play their game.

GSP always plays his own game. He gets to impose it. Diaz boys taunt, hoping to tease people into their game.

I don't like GSP or Diaz. Usually Diaz fights are vastly more entertaining

I don't see how anyone can say Nick's guard is more aggressive than Carlos. Maybe if you're just talking about submissions but Carlos is constantly working when he's on his back.

I don't see him striking that conservatively, as he usually likes to be the one pressing forward. I think a take-down clinic is a much more likely scenario, but I don't think it's as "safe" as people make it out to be.

It's always possible Diaz can "catch" GSP with a sub. He'll certainly make him work for his top control. But GSP is so much stronger than Nick, which bodes well for his ability to control him on the ground.

Also, Condit is not the best Ju Jitsu player GSP has faced - Matt Serra and BJ Penn are better (or at least as good, BJ most will grant is better), and GSP controlled them both on the ground (in the second fight against each) with relative ease. I will grant that each is a blown up lightweight, so Diaz is certainly larger and stronger than either of them and will pose different challenges.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see where Diaz's striking game threatens GSP that much. He's got better movement than Condit and Diaz doesn't throw any of the "big shots" that GSP seems to eat that put him in jeopardy in every other fight. As such, he can follow the Greg Jackson created strategy to frustrate Diaz in the striking game, land some power punches, and take the fight to the ground as needed.

No because GSP's bjj is better than Nick's.

Also, Condit is not the best Ju Jitsu player GSP has faced - Matt Serra and BJ Penn are better (or at least as good, BJ most will grant is better), and GSP controlled them both on the ground (in the second fight against each) with relative ease.

I never said Condit's has the best BJJ, but is the most threatening off of his back. Diaz is even more threatening, with his sub-game at least.

BJ usually uses his BJJ to neutralize damage, or he uses it offensively to advance position, he's never been a submission wizard from his back.

No because GSP's bjj is better than Nick's.

Well sir, I disagree.

Condit beat Diaz via superior angle cutting, footwork, defense, and GSP is even better at that game.

I think Nick has evolved since his early losses in the UFC, but exactly how much is a question mark.

The only thing the Condit fight told us is that if you follow an ultra-conservative striking game-plan, outpointing Nick is possible (even then, it ended in a controversial decision). I don't see GSP playing that game.

If GSP and Diaz are both coming forward and trying to impose their will (striking), I'm convinced it will be competitive. If GSP takes Diaz down, Nick's BJJ will prove to be threatening.

This is how I see it anyway.

The Condit-Diaz decision is only controversial to Diaz fans. Condit out landed him in every round except the 2nd and had a 1.5:1 advantage in significant strikes.

It was a close decision, a close fight, but not controversial.

The Condit-Diaz decision is only controversial to Diaz fans. Condit out landed him in every round except the 2nd and had a 1.5:1 advantage in significant strikes.

It was a close decision, a close fight, but not controversial.

That's a bold generalization.

I feel Diaz won, but the fight was far from a robbery.

If I remember correctly, a lot of fighters thought Diaz won, and so did Dana.

Condit beat Diaz via superior angle cutting, footwork, defense, and GSP is even better at that game.

So do you think GSP will win a striking affair? Or will he control Diaz with wrestling?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back