Stupid Question

ClampXVII

Bravado Muay Thai Trainer
@Black
Reaction score
Would it look funny to anyone if you guys saw a Muay Thai fighter wearing board shorts obviously aimed at MMA (Truth, Clinchgear, or Sprawl) instead of the Traditional Muay Thai shorts? I'm actually playing with this Idea not to BS you guys, but what would your thoughts be? I'm actually trying to get people interested in me but doing something a little different, my tech. speaks for itself, but I want to stand out just a little bit more. People know me but the way they describe me, its like how they describe me can fit anyone.

"Oh yeah he was good, he was a tough guy, had the same shorts as another guy. He looks solid."

I train hard everyday but so does everyone else, I get praised even for my losses, but I just look like another MT fighter. Maybe I should it and see what happens.

Thoughts?

i saw a MT fight on tv the other day with one guy wearing boardshorts. in his post fight interview he claimed to have 5 years MMA experience as well as his MT. So if you do it, you won't be the first.

I fought my firtfight in sprawl shorts, nothing wrong with thatm I am not a traditional muay thai fighter so why dress like one.

Cool because MT for others is Traditional, I just didn't want to step on anyone's toes.

I've seen guys like Mirko, Jim Mullin, and Igor wear the bikini brief type shorts in K-1. Sefo and Hunt have worn board shorts in K-1.

Personally, if I'm competing in pure muay thai and muay thai is my style, I'm wearing muay thai shorts. There's a lot of tradition that goes along with that sport and the shorts are part of that tradition. I would honor that tradition by wearing the traditional attire. But that's just me. Plus I think wearing something else could be considered disrepectful to your kru, if your kru is actually thai. I mean, he's teaching you so that you can represent his art. So you should really represent it the way you were taught to, in my opinion.

But if you come from another discipline and you're competing in Muay Thai, I think it's fine.

Rexholio said:
I've seen guys like Mirko, Jim Mullin, and Igor wear the bikini brief type shorts in K-1. Sefo and Hunt have worn board shorts in K-1.

Personally, if I'm competing in pure muay thai and muay thai is my style, I'm wearing muay thai shorts. There's a lot of tradition that goes along with that sport and the shorts are part of that tradition. I would honor that tradition by wearing the traditional attire. But that's just me. Plus I think wearing something else could be considered disrepectful to your kru, if your kru is actually thai. I mean, he's teaching you so that you can represent his art. So you should really represent it the way you were taught to, in my opinion.

But if you come from another discipline and you're competing in Muay Thai, I think it's fine.

Agreed, especially if your Kru is Thai. I wouldn't even think of it with mine.

Rexholio said:

The Muay Thai short is still a modern dress for the modern sport of Muay Thai though. That is not what fighters used to wear back in the day. In fact, the knee length cotton pants they used to wear look more like board shorts. I saw this on Noble Art of Muay Thai; correct me if I'm wrong.

just walk in nude, if you really want to stand out. It's a good way to avoid the clinch also.

Muay Thai shorts are modern and kinda geeky looking in my opinion ... how much tradition can there be in those elasticized puppies? I think MMA shorts would look cool. But I'd check around first to make sure I wasn't offending my teacher or the organization.

Back