Stuff in Fish Oil capsule?

Just wondering how necessary keeping tablets in a fridge/freezer actually is. I've kept tablets in a cupboard for more than 3 months without any hint of rancidity.

How do these things sit on a well-lit, warm store shelf and not go bad for so long?
I used to do that and they didn't go rancid, but I don't want to take a chance

How do these things sit on a well-lit, warm store shelf and not go bad for so long?

Air-sealed, opaque container; with the brand I buy (Health Balance), when I pop the foil seal under the cap, there's a little air pressure there. The issue of rancidity has more to do with being exposed to oxygen (creating lipid peroxides) than light.

I've packed my meals for work, and forgotten to pitch my fish oil in the fridge; after 12-14 hours, they're soft, but not rancid. The matter of keeping them in the fridge is one of insurance and extending shelf life.

They should be fine in a cupboard, preferably away from direct heat.

Air-sealed, opaque container; with the brand I buy (Health Balance), when I pop the foil seal under the cap, there's a little air pressure there. The issue of rancidity has more to do with being exposed to oxygen (creating lipid peroxides) than light.

I've packed my meals for work, and forgotten to pitch my fish oil in the fridge; after 12-14 hours, they're soft, but not rancid. The matter of keeping them in the fridge is one of insurance and extending shelf life.

Gotcha. I guess I'll start keeping 'em in the fridge then.

They should be fine in a cupboard, preferably away from direct heat.

Agreed. I have never put mine the fridge and they have never clouded. Cupbaord with the multi's. Greens however are in the fridge.

Back