Struggling writer's moaning thread

It's rough when someone else comes up with the idea you've had for a while. It's bittersweet because it's great that your ideas can maybe pass at the pro level, but it's rough to see something you got behind make it with someone else.

Yeah, I just have to rewrite large parts of the script now.

I had already come to an impasse with the thing, as I feel I wrote too quickly (and I wanted it to be light on dialogue as well), but now it has to change. Thankfully the movie that came out is a period piece and mine is modern day, but it's still a tough pill to swallow.

For those that are in the process of writing. How much do you write a day? And how long did it take you to get that stamina and focus for writing that much?
I've written 8 screenplays and one 220-page novella (adapted from one of my earlier screenplays)...I also used to work as a book reader.

I never considered myself a writer though, and still don't really. I think there's different methods to create a story, one is the Stephen King method where you write the story without having much of a plan, which lets you know what the reader is thinking at basically all times, and lets you be much more productive, but also can result in you writing yourself into a corner at times, which is a scary thought.

The way I've always done things is the "pre-planned" method. A lot of screenwriters use this style too, where you work out every aspect of the story before you ever write anything out longhand. This can be very tiring and slow, making you turn out less work overall, but you never risk writing out hundreds of pages then realizing you need to throw it all out...and I also think that it lets you maximize the quality-level of your work. Since your writing will be around longer than you are, I decided that I'd want to make it as good as I possibly could.

The first method, which Stephen King uses, is what I considered a "writer" to be. What I do feels more like being an architect, to be honest. The longhand writing is always an afterthought, and I've never been able to really focus on it UNLESS I'm excited about what I'm doing. I have to have big plans for the work when it's done, or think it's going to be one of the best things I've ever written, for me to be able to focus on the longhand writing at all.

So I'm in the process of adapting my screenplays to e-book novellas, and after doing the first one and putting it online in July, I started on the second one and have stalled out working on other things for the past few months. If I get excited about it I'll probably go back to it, but I'm pretty familiar with my creative process by now so I don't sweat it too much. My work gets done sooner or later.

Also, without giving away the plot what are the kinds of things you're writing about? I am leaning heavily towards the Bible since it's technical and doesn't give me much room to go wrong.
My first practice screenplay (which I wrote just wrote just to go through the process then never rewrote) was an action story. Then I wrote a handful of comedies...then two hard science fiction stories (which are in a reworking stage)...and then two more action stories. I've tried to do horror stuff in the past and could never really get into it, mainly because I don't like sitting around frightening myself.

Eventually I hope to have all my stories on Amazon available as e-books and completed screenplay versions also. I plan to put out a $.99 version and a $2.99 version with the novella, original screenplay version and an author's commentary for people who like the technical side.

I started out writing a screenplay with a partner (writing not life) and he just really has never pulled his weight. He came up with the main idea but thats just the b story now and ive done loads of work on it. I dont have an ending yet, he isnt helping and refuses to bring in anyone else on it. We still have a long way to go and it seems like hes given up. Im probably not fucked but i sure feel like i am.
You can always just take a pass on it and work on other things. If it's one of your first screenplays, you shouldn't put too much pressure on yourself either. Just getting it done is an accomplishment, and from there your work will start to improve as you continue.

That said i have another script ive been plotting out (mostly in my head) and im liking it so far. Im afraid if i commit fully to it that i will abandon the other one though.
I don't think you should consider anything dead or abandoned. There's no rules after all, it's whatever you feel like doing. I seem to always TRY to abandon my stories without writing them, and the ones that become full projects are the ones that won't leave me alone and always stick in the back of my head.

I think if you get in the habit of writing down good ideas as they come to you, you'll come across one every now and then that's so good that you can't forget it. I think that's a great way to determine what your real long-term projects will be.

Thought I'd make a thread some of you writers out there could moan in. All are welcome to join. What bugs you most about trying to get published. I'll start...

Having to print and post off three chapters worth of pages. I tend to do this in bulk so I send about 10 copies every month, costing me ink, paper and the mail price. Too much money for a poor man's job.

Spending a lot of my time trying to think up original stories only to realise the industry itself doesn't want originality, it wants the same old thing because originality is risky and not guaranteed to sell.

Being asked to supply a C.V/resume. Why would they want that? Why would a resume tell them if my story is good or bad when they're just supposed to read the story.

Waiting at least 3 months for any sort of reply even when it's email. If any other industry worked like that it would collapse within 3 months.

It's 2012 and 90% of publishers and agents don't accept email submissions. Get with the times you morons.

Traditional publishers belittling and bashing ebooks only to go publishing 50 shades the moment it gets popular.

No offense, but I think you are missing the point for alot of the things you list. please allow me try an encourage you a bit. Publishers make the process very laborious on purpose -to weed out those unwilling to put in the work neccessary to make a book successful. If you are annoyed by printing out a book or things not being convenient well just wait (although I know this is the thread for bitching lulz) -writing the novel might be the easiest part for many authors.

Of course writing a novel is hard -but wait until you get nuetered in 3 or 4 rounds of rewrites after the publisher tells you your book isn't enough yet plus your ideas and writing style need more external help from staff editors.. Also publishers have to identify authors with drive because you are also required to get out there and promote and sell your book. This means events, signings, meetings, traveling, book tours, literary society meetings, panels, schmoozing and protitution basically to rash your visibilty... It's not all fun and games either...it's serious commitment.

-also never forget what a pubishers goal is -they don't give away books for free -which means if you want to be published by a commercial enterprise -prepare to have your life's work severely co-opted. Focus groups and staff editors and writers can have extraordinary influence on the final product in many cases. It's just the trade off most will make to find success or at least make a living as an author.

I say all of this only to encourage you to remember that obstacles and difficullty is central to this process -it's completely normal ...you just need to focus of writing and almost more importantly (and sadly) getting the attention of the right people -which is done by getting out there an not accepting rejection or giving up. This is the test the put out there for all aspiring writers. Push through and will yourself -that is the makeup that publishers are looking for when they look to add an author to their roster. Look at all of these obstacles as the pitfalls that will deter others from getting published but not you.

I wrote 60 pages of a screenplay and an extremely similar movie just came out.

There's nothing new under the sun. Best any of us can hope to do is a tell a story in a way that appears different.

Well the thing is once I get started I can't stop, so 1,000 words in a day really isn't that big of a deal to me so long as I get going. I don't do it every single day exactly either, but I do set goals of wanting to make x amount of progress by the end of x amount of time. It's not about the number for me so much as it's just about not falling into the habit of procrastinating. I do appreciate the advice though.

You're kind of missing the point, man. 1,000 words is nothing, but if you have problems even starting to work on something, it's a terrible standard to set.

Not writing doesnt mean you're "procrastinating" it just means you dont have a coherent idea.

Writing is a brutal business. So much shit gets published, so much gold does not, and fucking slash Twilight fan-fiction (Fifty Shades of Grey - I fuck you not) becomes the biggest seller of the year.

I don't know if the whole screen-play thing is a big thing. People coming out of nowhere and writing a movie that is produced by Hollywood is not really the norm.

Also: E-book publishing is great and all, and can make you money, but I am not so sure E-book publishing in general will help you get cred. One of the ways to "get cred" is to get educated and then plaster that shit on all your cover letters. It's a huge waste of money and time for the most part, but it will give you a higher chance of getting published.

There is a reason a lot of the people who get books reviewed in the New York Times Book Review have MFAs.

This this and all this.

I feel ya, mane. I was on fire yesterday. I wrote a whole bunch (two articles in a series of about 5) and the ideas were just flowing. I am going to do it again tonight.

I'd never heard of this book until I read your post. I wiki'd it and read the information on it. (Yeah, what a low thing to do, I know, I was just really curious and couldn't stop reading). Amazing. If it reads as amazing as it sounds then it must be an amazing book though long and drawn out. The whole premise sounds beautiful and the ending--amazing.

Isolation. I love it. It's fascinating to me as well. I am working on a story that has major themes of Isolation in it.

I get you totally on the imitating the guy you're "studying." Not too long ago I was reading Huckleberry Finn and I found myself writing and talking like Huck and using that trademark understatement. For a while I was obsessed with that juxtaposition of genius and stupidity Huck exhibits. Twain was a master.

"Someone has to write books in the future. It might as well be us." -The Soothsayer

Beautiful words.

Hey man. I'm glad you found my post impacting.

Definitely check out Blood Meridian

Happy holidays everyone! Haven't done jack on my ABNA submission these last two days, but it's Christmas, so yeah. Good luck, hope the day goes well, enjoy it!

First agent that ever replied to me:

"I don't understand why you would make them brother and sister and not lovers?"

second

"I'm not really a fan of dialogue or much talking scenes. I think they drag down the book. If you removed the dialogue from you fantasy novel it would look better"

I looked at his other clients and most of them are non-fiction. No wonder.

Most of the agents who have replied to me have said pretty the same thing: Thanks, but you're not what we're looking for right now.

The exception was the first ever Agent I approached who said I had some talent but he thought the novel I was trying to write would be too dark/violent. Which, considering some of the seriously fucked up shit that does get published, I found quite amusing.:rolleyes::)

I'm in the midst of writing right at this moment, but I've been listening to this as I've been doing my business. Geek & Sundry have this monthly show called Storyboard, it's essentially a panel of authors talking about writing, or an element of writing. This is a pretty interesting episode, so I thought I'd post it.

For serious, write a fantastical novel of some sort of culture and set it in a frame story and that shit will sell.

Look at The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, Everything is Illuminated, Open City etc. as references.

I can't find a good writing program that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Any suggestions?

For years I just used MS Word, then I tried some other programs that were supposed to help with organizing notes and make the writing process easier. Lately I've been using office Notes, but I think I'm heading down a dead end street on that.

Any programs people are using, that are working out for them?

Any suggestions?

For years I just used MS Word, then I tried some other programs that were supposed to help with organizing notes and make the writing process easier. Lately I've been using office Notes, but I think I'm heading down a dead end street on that.

Open Office is the best free software.

Any suggestions?

i don't know, in the end the only things that make writing easier imo is 1) writing 2) making an outline

i would say screw all computer programs but ms word. all my notes i transfer from paper to word and just put the notes where they belong. if that makes sense.

i am toying with the idea of using notecards and putting them on a huge as posterboard (with connective line and all that shit) Glamorama style (BEE), but that is for another book. time to start that 3rd draft.

i don't know, in the end the only things that make writing easier imo is 1) writing 2) making an outline

i would say screw all computer programs but ms word. all my notes i transfer from paper to word and just put the notes where they belong. if that makes sense.

i am toying with the idea of using notecards and putting them on a huge as posterboard (with connective line and all that shit) Glamorama style (BEE), but that is for another book. time to start that 3rd draft.

I didn't venture far from word before but have to now since it no longer comes free with new computers. I'm on open office now and it's a bitch because most houses don't accept OO's format. So yeah, word is the safest. However I have heard from plenty of people that there's far better writing software out there. Most say word looks like shit if you're willing to spend the cash on something else.

Back