Struggling writer's moaning thread

I always try sticking to this, even if it's not for an idea I plan on publishing and just want to get the creative juices flowing. The hardest part for me though has always been the starting point.

welll, making obligations like that isnt the way to get motivated to start.
Stephen is a fountain, he could write 1,000 words in his sleep, because he's a boss ass motherfucker that probably has social issues.

I do 1k a day when i have a project sorted, but 365 days a year is 365,000 words a year. That's just not a realistic goal for someone who has problems getting their "Juices flowing"

Dont focus on the number, focus on the quality.

any answers to my questions? I'm really eager to know.

2,000 words a day, minimum. I wrote six novels last year, sold three and have one that I'm waiting to submit. I take time off-like this month-but when I start, it's a fucking fight. My novel releasing in January took me three weeks to write, god bless The Good Writing.

2,000 words a day, minimum. I wrote six novels last year, sold three and have one that I'm waiting to submit. I take time off-like this month-but when I start, it's a fucking fight. My novel releasing in January took me three weeks to write, god bless The Good Writing.

Congrats on all of that, man, that's sick.

I think there's a quote from some author to the effect of everyone wants to be a writer few want to write.

Errbody wanna be a bodybuilder, but nobody wanna lift these heavy-ass weights?

I know Jean-Paul Sartre was well known for writing a shit-ton too.

Congrats on all of that, man, that's sick.

Thanks dude. It's work, but I love it, and finally being able to go full time with it was a dream come true. For any of you guys aspiring to do this, one tip that I would have is that if you do get your foot in the door, bust your ass like you could get fired at any second. I'm not saying suck up, but when your editor has a problem with something, he/she is usually right. Kill your darlings and be better for it.

awesome information, guys.

Good luck, gentleman.

Thanks dude. It's work, but I love it, and finally being able to go full time with it was a dream come true. For any of you guys aspiring to do this, one tip that I would have is that if you do get your foot in the door, bust your ass like you could get fired at any second. I'm not saying suck up, but when your editor has a problem with something, he/she is usually right. Kill your darlings and be better for it.

Thanks for the advice, dude, keep us updated with your work.

welll, making obligations like that isnt the way to get motivated to start.
Stephen is a fountain, he could write 1,000 words in his sleep, because he's a boss ass motherfucker that probably has social issues.

I do 1k a day when i have a project sorted, but 365 days a year is 365,000 words a year. That's just not a realistic goal for someone who has problems getting their "Juices flowing"

Dont focus on the number, focus on the quality.

Well the thing is once I get started I can't stop, so 1,000 words in a day really isn't that big of a deal to me so long as I get going. I don't do it every single day exactly either, but I do set goals of wanting to make x amount of progress by the end of x amount of time. It's not about the number for me so much as it's just about not falling into the habit of procrastinating. I do appreciate the advice though.

great thread, guys. I really enjoy reading about people fighting to make their dreams come true.

My goal for 2013 is to sell a book. I got to get serious about it though. I have so many ideas but it's about choosing the right one so that I can get published for the first time. I feel like once the flood gates are opened there'll be no looking back.

What I got from Aric Davis's thread is that you just have to write like a madman and have your loved ones critique your work harshly.

For those that are in the process of writing. How much do you write a day? And how long did it take you to get that stamina and focus for writing that much?

Also, without giving away the plot what are the kinds of things you're writing about? I am leaning heavily towards the Bible since it's technical and doesn't give me much room to go wrong.

Peace out, sherdoggers. I am going to go pay the bills, workout, and then write a bit before the world ends.

To answer your questions, well, I write between 200-3000 words per day. After talking to Adavis in his thread, and the ABNA thread, I've come to the decision I'm just happy to get something on paper. There were days where I end up with nothing, and I used to beat myself up over it, but now I just aim to do something, and I usually surprise myself. 3000 words usually takes me 4 hours. Though, lately, I haven't had time to devote to writing, so it's been less.

I write a lot of different stuff. My short stories tend to fall into horror or science-fiction, while the manuscript I'm working on now, for ABNA, is fantasy. For the Sword and Laser anthology I'm going to do some horror I think. I have some young-adult stuff I've been working on for a few months, but it's on the back burner until the contest is over.

Hardest part for me is finishing my book. I'm 60% done with the first manuscript. My story is so sparse and depressing that it takes a lot out of me to write it while I'm trying to finish school and raise my kids.

If nothing ever comes of it, it'll serve as a great writing exercise for me due to the sort of extreme way I'm trying to write it.

There are my moans. I'm happy I'm not alone.

For those that are in the process of writing. How much do you write a day? And how long did it take you to get that stamina and focus for writing that much?

Also, without giving away the plot what are the kinds of things you're writing about? I am leaning heavily towards the Bible since it's technical and doesn't give me much room to go wrong.

Peace out, sherdoggers. I am going to go pay the bills, workout, and then write a bit before the world ends.

I'm really weird about my writing. I have a horrendous attention span, but I go through phases where I lock in like crazy, and that's where I get most of my work done. My daily patterns gradually shift over time, and it's when I'm alone all night while my wife and kids are asleep that I sort of fall into the rhythm of what I'm trying to make happen.

My recent effort I took up in July, I think. I throw down 12-15,000 word chunks over a span of a day or three, and I work on short stories and one-pagers for an hour at a time, maybe 4 or 5 times a week, in between going back.

I also fell into a Murakami spell in the early Fall. I read AD, Windup Bird, NW, and Kafka. Then a very infantile version of his writing style started showing up in my work, and I got around 20,000 good words on another project I started to sort of channel that output before settling down and coming back to the primary goal.

About content, it's always different for me. Isolation is often a theme for me, though. I love the allegory. And the consequences of violence and tragedy are elements I often try to underplay for a sort of running effect. It's like in Blood Meridian where McCarthy tells you the game in the first few chapters, and by mid-book, there's nothing you won't buy into.

I don't know. Just me. Good thread, though. Good luck to all of you, gentlemen. Someone has to write books in the future. It might as well be us. But keep fighting that charred and smoking son a bitch the French call procrastination. It's a mean one.

I wrote 60 pages of a screenplay and an extremely similar movie just came out.

I started out writing a screenplay with a partner (writing not life) and he just really has never pulled his weight. He came up with the main idea but thats just the b story now and ive done loads of work on it. I dont have an ending yet, he isnt helping and refuses to bring in anyone else on it. We still have a long way to go and it seems like hes given up. Im probably not fucked but i sure feel like i am.

That said i have another script ive been plotting out (mostly in my head) and im liking it so far. Im afraid if i commit fully to it that i will abandon the other one though.

Might actually hit 2k words right now, before I go to bed, if I keep this up, so close...in the zone right now.

I wrote 60 pages of a screenplay and an extremely similar movie just came out.

It's rough when someone else comes up with the idea you've had for a while. It's bittersweet because it's great that your ideas can maybe pass at the pro level, but it's rough to see something you got behind make it with someone else.

I was working on this screenplay back in 2010 (early 2010), I thought it was an amazing idea. I put in all this world building, the back-story was awesome, and I had the twist and such planned out. Then, I think I was a third of the way through, and they announced a new M. Night. Shyamalan trilogy, the Night Chronicles Trilogy (he was only producing these ones, Devil was supposed to be the first of 3). I had talked to Daniel Stamm a few weeks earlier of the announcement, and had wanted to tell him my idea for this movie, I thought he'd like it, but he was nabbed by a reporter mid-convo with me. Weeks passed and all of a sudden he's linked to Shyamalan's new film, which has the same basic premise, and knowing him, probably a similar twist. I stopped working on it, yeah.

Last edited:
Might actually hit 2k words right now, before I go to bed, if I keep this up, so close...in the zone right now.

I feel ya, mane. I was on fire yesterday. I wrote a whole bunch (two articles in a series of about 5) and the ideas were just flowing. I am going to do it again tonight.

I'm really weird about my writing. I have a horrendous attention span, but I go through phases where I lock in like crazy, and that's where I get most of my work done. My daily patterns gradually shift over time, and it's when I'm alone all night while my wife and kids are asleep that I sort of fall into the rhythm of what I'm trying to make happen.

My recent effort I took up in July, I think. I throw down 12-15,000 word chunks over a span of a day or three, and I work on short stories and one-pagers for an hour at a time, maybe 4 or 5 times a week, in between going back.

I also fell into a Murakami spell in the early Fall. I read AD, Windup Bird, NW, and Kafka. Then a very infantile version of his writing style started showing up in my work, and I got around 20,000 good words on another project I started to sort of channel that output before settling down and coming back to the primary goal.

About content, it's always different for me. Isolation is often a theme for me, though. I love the allegory. And the consequences of violence and tragedy are elements I often try to underplay for a sort of running effect. It's like in Blood Meridian where McCarthy tells you the game in the first few chapters, and by mid-book, there's nothing you won't buy into.

I don't know. Just me. Good thread, though. Good luck to all of you, gentlemen. Someone has to write books in the future. It might as well be us. But keep fighting that charred and smoking son a bitch the French call procrastination. It's a mean one.

I'd never heard of this book until I read your post. I wiki'd it and read the information on it. (Yeah, what a low thing to do, I know, I was just really curious and couldn't stop reading). Amazing. If it reads as amazing as it sounds then it must be an amazing book though long and drawn out. The whole premise sounds beautiful and the ending--amazing.

Isolation. I love it. It's fascinating to me as well. I am working on a story that has major themes of Isolation in it.

I get you totally on the imitating the guy you're "studying." Not too long ago I was reading Huckleberry Finn and I found myself writing and talking like Huck and using that trademark understatement. For a while I was obsessed with that juxtaposition of genius and stupidity Huck exhibits. Twain was a master.

"Someone has to write books in the future. It might as well be us." -The Soothsayer

Beautiful words.

I feel ya, mane. I was on fire yesterday. I wrote a whole bunch (two articles in a series of about 5) and the ideas were just flowing. I am going to do it again tonight.

I'd never heard of this book until I read your post. I wiki'd it and read the information on it. (Yeah, what a low thing to do, I know, I was just really curious and couldn't stop reading). Amazing. If it reads as amazing as it sounds then it must be an amazing book though long and drawn out. The whole premise sounds beautiful and the ending--amazing.

Isolation. I love it. It's fascinating to me as well. I am working on a story that has major themes of Isolation in it.

I get you totally on the imitating the guy you're "studying." Not too long ago I was reading Huckleberry Finn and I found myself writing and talking like Huck and using that trademark understatement. For a while I was obsessed with that juxtaposition of genius and stupidity Huck exhibits. Twain was a master.

"Someone has to write books in the future. It might as well be us." -The Soothsayer

Beautiful words.

You need to go read Blood Meridian right now.

Back