Strong side forward

hulkout

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
What do you guys think of fighting with your strong side forward? In boxing, we're taught to have your weak side forward (jabbing arm) to set up for the power shots. But other people say that your jabbing arm if it's your strong side can be a power punch itself kind of like Bruce Lee's straight lead. Also since the lead hook is also a very powerful punch, it seems to make sense that it should be your strong side also. Of course, when switching like that, your rear arm is not quite as powerful for your cross or overhand right. I guess there's always a trade-off. Any opinions?

I was taught to fight strong side forward on defense, weak side on offense. In the case of the former, you can jab/counter harder and faster while in the case of the latter you have more power striking from your "good" side, especially if you set up a combo.

Of course, it helps to mix things up to keep your opponent guessing.

It depends. There are good fighters who lead with their dominant arm. For example: de la hoya and Cotto. I would imagine a lefty fighting orthodox would have a powerful jab and left hook but it could give you a weak right and turn you into a one handed fighter. It could also make it easier for you to become a switch hitter.

But its not like right handed orthodox guys all have weak lefts. My best punch is my lefthook and I'm right handed. It depends on how much you train to develop a lefthook or a right hand or a jab, etc. For me personally, I've been training orthodox, and I'm sticking orthodox.

I fight/Box (No Kicks to Mix it up) Orthodox because thats what comes naturally to me. Before I even started training I obviously watched Boxing and every fight

... Sorry about that, Every Fight I had messing round or hitting the heavy bag untrained I did orthodox because thats what I saw other right handed fighters do.

I have thought about learning to fight abit of Southpaw because the Jab is the most important punch and it would become stiffer and so would my Hook as my Right hook is already more powerful than my left when I stand square. The Hook is also the easiest punch to KO someone with IMO. But then I thought if I am going to be fighting orthadox most of the time then why should I waste time that could be spent going over stuff I already know to learn the basic all over again.

Yes sir, so not my strong side forward. I find it awkward, makes me a one trick poney with only one hand.

You want your strong arm to be your 'back arm'. If you find it awkward its probably because you dont train. Therefore, obviously youre not going to be proficient at striking.

I believe you should have your dominant hand in the rear.

Many newbies like to try out southpaw or vise versa because they cant throw a decent jab with their weak hand. So, they switch over and neglect the weak rear hand.

Soon, you become a one handed fighter.

I think its just simple to start off with the power in the rear and if you get good enough, then you can switch later.

I use southpaw in kickboxing tourneys. I've had a lot of success with it. If you throw lots of combinations and kicks, it is fairly easy to have your stance change so that your power hand returns to the back for the big straight hits.

It comes down to personal preference. But if you are primarily a "shooter" and prefer to take the fight to the ground, then i would say "strong side forward". Most wrestlers fight this way because it allows for a much stronger takedown attempt. Matt Hughes would be a good example, he stands southpaw when he wants to "shoot" but switches stances to strike. If you are primarily a "striker", then i would probably say "weak side forward" while continuing to develop a very good lead jab. But like i said, it all boils down to personal preference.

I'm a righty. I fight Southpaw. Saying you have to do it one way or the other is silly but more importantly wrong.

I keep my strong side forward, it gives me a quick and powerful jab, lead hook and uppercut. My weak side goes in the back in order to give it a little more power, evening out my hands. Same reasoning goes with my kicks. My left goes in the back to give it some added power while my powerful and quick right leg goes to the front.

Its a reasonable thing to do.

Sometimes I switch it up though too, going back to orthodox. But I like keeping the power side forward.

As a JKD instructor, I have some experience with this. Up until I started Muay Thai, i was always weak side forward, and developed some degree of proficiency with it. however, I crossed over when i took up Muay Thai seriously, and still find it the more comfortabe of the two. I think its important to know both, and to know how to defend against both, but for me, strong side back.

From a MMA perspective too, strong side back i think is better, in that you can throw off your strong arm much easier when it is at the rear.

As a JKD instructor, I have some experience with this. Up until I started Muay Thai, i was always weak side forward, and developed some degree of proficiency with it. however, I crossed over when i took up Muay Thai seriously, and still find it the more comfortabe of the two. I think its important to know both, and to know how to defend against both, but for me, strong side back.

From a MMA perspective too, strong side back i think is better, in that you can throw off your strong arm much easier when it is at the rear.
How the hell can you be a JKD instructor and train primarily "weak side forward". this goes against EVERYTHING that Bruce Lee taught. His PRIMARY principle was "strong side forward". EVERY certified JKD instructor from Dan Inosanto, Ted Wong, Jerry Poteet etc...ALL teach "strong side forward". You sir, are not a certified JKD instructor.

Here is a good article on the subject by Cass Magda, a JKD instructor under Dan Inosanto...

http://www.jkdnorway.com/artikler/what_makes_jkd_different_than_ki.htm

How the hell can you be a JKD instructor and train primarily "weak side forward". this goes against EVERYTHING that Bruce Lee taught. His PRIMARY principle was "strong side forward". EVERY certified JKD instructor from Dan Inosanto, Ted Wong, Jerry Poteet etc...ALL teach "strong side forward". You sir, are not a certified JKD instructor.

Here is a good article on the subject by Cass Magda, a JKD instructor under Dan Inosanto...

http://www.jkdnorway.com/artikler/what_makes_jkd_different_than_ki.htm

Excuse me? And what are your credentials in JKD?

What I was saying was that when i fight MT I fight weak side forward. I no longer teach JKD due to timing issues, but when i was teaching, I would teach strong side forward. But I do not carry this forward with MT. Nontheless, not advocating SSF would make me no less certified than if I did.

Besides, not every JKD instructor trains strong side forward.

I fight orthodox and im righty. Rightys fight orthodox because they use the jab to open up the opponent and want the main source of the damage to be in their right hand. Imagine doing the opposite and having your strong right jab be parried or slipped giving you an opening to hit, but only having a weak left cross to come in with.

However I sometimes do fantasize about fighting lefty, only because I watch too many Pacman fights and really want to land a straight left on a righty.

Back