Strong neck Improves ability to take punches?

title boxings Facebook page says neck exercises improve your ability to take shots

Stupid. You just have to be careful and build up.
It's certainly NOT something you should rush in to without having established a moderate level of strength. Otherwise, aching neck awaits.

Neck crunches are a given for any bodybuilder. You can't miss a single part of the body.

I can't find a single video on youtube with proper technique. You are supposed to put the weight on your forehead with a towel underneath starting with your back on the bench and the entire neck and head hanging down then while holding the plate on both the left and right side you gradually move your neck and head forward to perfectly straight as if you were laying on the bench fully. Then repeat. The same applies to Reverse Neck Crunches except you lay with your chest on the bench and put the weight on the back of your head and lift it to normal upright position. The way Mayweather was doing it is a surefire way to injure the neck. Just a ridiculous way of training.

I've been doing them for the past seven years and my neck is super strong. About roughly four years back I got suckered punch in the vip of a local club by a Mike Tyson looking mofo and I was unaffected by it other than my head turning a couple of inches by it. Needless to say I've never seen anyone look so amazed.

If what Mayweather is doing in that video improved neck strength, my girlfriend would be able to take a muuuuch better punch. :icon_chee

in jack dempseys old school boxing manual he advocates neck strengthing in two ways: first is trying to move your chin over your shoulder (like your looking behing you) and hold it there for time..then a modified back neck bridge where your weight rest on your feet and the back of your head (as opposed to the standard wrestling neck bridge where you try to touch nose to ground) your hips wont be raised that much in this one ..i enjoy both version...

George Chuvalo had undisputed the best chin ever and he swore by neck training. He also had a naturally big head and very short neck.

If you stiffen your neck to take a punch then you deserve to be knocked out. Because while having a strong neck helps to reduce the whiplash effect that slightly contributes to concussions, it's the IMPACT energy itself that starts the brain moving around in your noggin.

In other words just because your neck doesn't move doesn't mean you brain did not. Additionally, neck exercises don't do anything to inhibit a knockout from a chin shot or stop it's impact from shocking your mandibular ganglion which also ends with a lights out effect.

Rolling with punches is the key to taking shots without damage.

Last edited:
Back