Strong neck Improves ability to take punches?

FedorandBjpenn

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What do you guys think about this. Will having a strong neck help you when you get your bell rung or is it a myth?

did mike tyson have a great chin? I just felt like he had amazing head and body movement

I think in case of Mike Tyson or people who known to be elusive/not easy to hit then automatically their chins are much better since they don't get hit as much as the regular guys, thus perserving their ability to take a shot when it needed.

Yes it does, and so does a bigger head and thicker skull. The stronger and heavier the skull and neck is, the less it accelerates for a given punch. The less the head moves, the less the brain slams into the interior of the skull and the less damage it takes.

So basically some one like Stefan Struve (skinny neck and small head) has a worse chin by genetics.. Especially compared to someone with a big head an thick neck like Mark Hunt

Guys lets cut the crap.

Movement, head positioning and hand defence totally owns head/neck size.

Guys lets cut the crap.

It doesn't have to be one versus the other. One can work on technique and improving neck strength.

First you get the neck; then you get the power; then you get the women.

The neck muscles aren't designed to work that way and he isn't going to strengthen them much like that. The neck muscles are like the low back. They are designed to hold your head erect, not rock it back strongly.

The best neck exercises involve stability. So, for example with what Mayweather was doing there with the strap. If he held his neck inline and had someone pull on the strap so that it became tight, he would be using his neck more the way it is designed to stay strongly.

The neck muscles aren't designed to work that way and he isn't going to strengthen them much like that. The neck muscles are like the low back. They are designed to hold your head erect, not rock it back strongly.

The best neck exercises involve stability. So, for example with what Mayweather was doing there with the strap. If he held his neck inline and had someone pull on the strap so that it became tight, he would be using his neck more the way it is designed to stay strongly.

well I dont know if its old school but in my gym they make us do neck exercises sometimes, like mayweather is doing but without weight (it ends up hurting lol like using any muscle for the first time) and to the sides as well... but I dont know about the science behind it

Guys lets cut the crap.

If you're fighting anyone worth talking about, chance are they WILL land on you so you will still need a strong chin.

Anyways, it will really help. Fernando Vargas had a weak chin but a short strong neck so while he got hurt many times by guys like Trinidad and ODLH, he never went out.

My old instructor referred to having a strong neck as a shock absorber. So yes it does help.

Mike Tyson used to do these. I also do them and they build the neck very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back