stretch reflex for deads?

BrassBalls

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A guy on another forum I check out was told that he was using his stretch reflex while doing deads. He was told he was using it on his one rep max attempt too. This advice was given by a "powerlifter".

Is there even such a thing and if there is, how do you use it for a one rep max?

Was there a video? I can see using it for a deficit dead 1RM, but it's not possible on a traditional deadlift. Even on a multi rep set, it would be poor form. Sounds like the guy was being punked.

You can get a stretch reflex by setting your hips up high and initiating the pull explosively by dropping your hips down. If you watch top pullers you will see them do this.

^^Interesting. Corroboration?

I do this and it helps me lift more, while holding the bar you stretch the hamstrings some 2-3 times by bringing your butt up and down and then on one of those you lift the bar from the down position.

They probably meant that he wasn't putting the weight down each time.

You can get a stretch reflex by setting your hips up high and initiating the pull explosively by dropping your hips down. If you watch top pullers you will see them do this.

Like this?

What about the video of Misha in the Magnusson thread? He drops down really low then raises his hips fast before he pulls. Would that be considered using the stretch reflex?

ETA can't see videos right now.

I guess I had seen that done before. Is there any reason why you would not want to do this?

You would not do this, if it doesn't feel right. I do it on every rep.

Not really what I meant, watch how Bolton drops his hips into the pull in this video

Love that vid. That dude was coming to pick some shit up!

O.k. so the reason the guy was telling him not to do it was because it was illegal. He lifts in India though. Anyone have knowledge on if this is illegal in different feds of powerlifting.

I always thought you wanted to try to use the stretch reflex on both deads and squats. I've been actively working on using it to set off my deadlift much like what PCP is talking about.

Never thought about doing that on purpose... Always thought of stretch reflex on deads referring to not stopping between reps.

Thanks for the insight pcp.

Should you pretty much be doing this all the time for deadlifts?

Rip isn't a fan of it as he says it can make you start with your hips at a slightly higher/lower position. He prefers a static start.

With that said I do it and deads are my strongest lift by far. Not sure if it really helps much at all but it feels more comfortable for me than a static start.

if you use it be mindful of the fact that its easier to mess up the best starting position i.e. hips too low or high. done right i think its awesome.

Stretch reflexes occur when you lengthen a muscle under load. This does not occur during a deadstop lift.

Back