Strength workout specifically for boxing

But people arent generally fans of heavy weight?

But people arent generally fans of heavy weight?

It’s such a confusing topic. I don’t know how the people who seem to profess on the forum that lifting heavy weight 3 days/wk is the way to go still have their ass in the boxing gym 5-6 days/wk and doing their 3 days/wk of roadwork (some coaches will say more) without being completely drained, but I’m speaking from the perspective of someone who is just starting lifting with strength principles in mind. I think there’s something to be said about weight classes as well. I haven’t seen manny pacquiao go through a huge weightlifting routine, but Tyson Fury claims to lift heavy (despite not passing the eye test).

I was always a fan of body weight stuff. I’d hit my boxing workout, then go and do 100 pull-ups/100dips/300pushups/100squats/100abs. I’d try to get that done a few days a week. I felt strong in the ring, but I’m curious if it’s possible to feel stronger with weights.

Getting some of the big lifts (squat, dl, OHP, power plean) to intermediate level helped me a lot in a specific time in my development, but then going far from that would be too taxing considering how much boxers/nak muay train.

Nowadays I found exercises similar to what Sinister does to benefit me the most in being able to perform and learn technique. Every now and then I go back to barbells, but that is just because I love doing that.

Basic barbell stuff can be cool to develop some sort of base strength. But you absolutely will need specific shit to progress on the sport

Just a follow-up, here's a kid I've had since he was 17, and here he's sparring an undefeated Pro who typically walks around close to 15lbs heavier than he does. You'll see moments as time goes on where this guy (white headgear) tries to simply get chest-to-chest and overpower him. A bunch of mumbo-jumbo got him to where he can prevent it. Not sure if that's "noteworthy" or not:

Just a follow-up, here's a kid I've had since he was 17, and here he's sparring an undefeated Pro who typically walks around close to 15lbs heavier than he does. You'll see moments as time goes on where this guy (white headgear) tries to simply get chest-to-chest and overpower him. A bunch of mumbo-jumbo got him to where he can prevent it. Not sure if that's "noteworthy" or not:

Glad to see he’s still in the gym....he’s looking great.

Running intervals and sprints are some of the best ways to improve cardio imo (after you've already become efficient by sport specific training)

I'm a big proponent of oly lifts. Do power cleans!

Seem a bit dangerous and non sports specific though? I'd love to do em but snatch and clean and jerk seems a bit much. Powerclean seems nice tho

Getting some of the big lifts (squat, dl, OHP, power plean) to intermediate level helped me a lot in a specific time in my development, but then going far from that would be too taxing considering how much boxers/nak muay train.

Nowadays I found exercises similar to what Sinister does to benefit me the most in being able to perform and learn technique. Every now and then I go back to barbells, but that is just because I love doing that.

Basic barbell stuff can be cool to develop some sort of base strength. But you absolutely will need specific shit to progress on the sport

Can you give me an example of some of the stuff you do, maybe a program or day you run ? Would be much appreciated

Any combat athlete, especially those that punch, should be putting in a lot of work on rotational strength.

^And stabilization

^And stabilization
In what ways does stabilization exercises benefit your boxers? Does it make there movement more efficient or increase there punch resistance? Also what exercises in your videos are classified as stablization exercuses? I am guessing most of the exercises you have your athletes perform have some aspect of stabilization in them.

In what ways does stabilization exercises benefit your boxers? Does it make there movement more efficient or increase there punch resistance? Also what exercises in your videos are classified as stablization exercuses? I am guessing most of the exercises you have your athletes perform have some aspect of stabilization in them.

Stabilization (as in stabilizer muscle strength) has a direct effect on both the ability to deliver force, and receive force. As this aspect weakens during fights, you are out of position more. When you are out of position, the punches you throw hurt less, and the ones you get hit by hurt more if the opponent is more stable than you are.

Core stabilization is the most important aspect of this, so anything you see that they do where the core is remaining set (and at times with hips engaged), the central focus of the exercise is stabilization, remaining in a set position while doing a thing, preferably a motion relevant to the motion they need to practice anyway.

Think about it, why do fighters lose the ability to "sit down" on a punch as fatigue sets in? Well, that statement refers to performing about a quarter of a squat, hips engaged, knees bent, core engaged. Theres 2 reasons, 1) they were never trained to do that in the first place. There are plenty fighters who dont actually know how to lower their ass and turn their knees to hit hard. 2) they never work on the muscle systems needed to HOLD that position, and do things, for periods of time. As I said earlier the Russians and Cubans are WAY ahead of the West on this. Which is why they remain durable and dangerous through whole fights and tournaments in the Amateurs

Last edited:
@Sinister and @Sano what are your thoughts on strict form while exercing for boxing (or any athletic sport for that matter) on general exercises that don't specifically target a movement/motor pattern? I notice a lot of elite boxers and other athletes are not patriculary strict on there form.

Checkout the way Roy only half reps his pullups.

I'm starting to think as long as your form while doing an exercise doesn't put you at risk of hurting yourself there really isn't a substanial benefit to strict form for athletic performance.

Last edited:
The Speed of Sport Youtube channel has some good sport specific exercises: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8QHCse4wxh7bzjU8BoyDKg

Their basic premise is that in martial arts, you are doing everything with speed and power, so you need to develop your strength in the context of fast movements. It makes sense to me.

I think Nick Curson has some interesting ideas.

I’ve been listening to other strength coaches like Andy Galpin and Pavel Tsatsouline recently.

They seem to argue in favour of longer rests between sets and lower rep ranges.

Curson’s main principle is do everything balls out at max speed.

From what I’ve seen on some of his exercises he does a lot of reps on power movements with not so much rest between sets. I would question if that pushes things into the endurance side of things rather than the power side.

I’m not sure about all of Curson’s fighters but to look at RDA his most famous fighter, I think it’s fair to say he’s much more known for his endurance than his power or speed.

That said Curson is also a BJJ Blackbelt and knowledgeable in all aspects of MMA.

Stabilization (as in stabilizer muscle strength) has a direct effect on both the ability to deliver force, and receive force. As this aspect weakens during fights, you are out of position more. When you are out of position, the punches you throw hurt less, and the ones you get hit by hurt more if the opponent is more stable than you are.

Core stabilization is the most important aspect of this, so anything you see that they do where the core is remaining set (and at times with hips engaged), the central focus of the exercise is stabilization, remaining in a set position while doing a thing, preferably a motion relevant to the motion they need to practice anyway.

Think about it, why do fighters lose the ability to "sit down" on a punch as fatigue sets in? Well, that statement refers to performing about a quarter of a squat, hips engaged, knees bent, core engaged. Theres 2 reasons, 1) they were never trained to do that in the first place. There are plenty fighters who dont actually know how to lower their ass and turn their knees to hit hard. 2) they never work on the muscle systems needed to HOLD that position, and do things, for periods of time. As I said earlier the Russians and Cubans are WAY ahead of the West on this. Which is why they remain durable and dangerous through whole fights and tournaments in the Amateurs
That's actually very astute and grossly overlooked. Thanks. I feel like there's an overemphasis on power training in S&C in general. I get the appeal, and it can be very useful at the right time and shouldn't be neglected, but you have to be able to be in position to deliver that power. And recieve it as you pointed out, which is another part that is overlooked. Performance is so much more than just one attribute.

Btw, I know you said earlier that you didn't care about terms, but I'll throw this in anyway that a more appropriate term for what you're describing would probably be postural endurance. Being able to hold a certain position for an extended duration. If that's of any use to you.

@Sinister and @Sano what are your thoughts on strict form while exercing for boxing (or any athletic sport for that matter) on general exercises that don't specifically target a movement/motor pattern? I notice a lot of elite boxers and other athletes are not patriculary strict on there form.

Checkout the way Roy only half reps his pullups.

I'm starting to think as long as your form while doing an exercise doesn't put you at risk of hurting yourself there really isn't a substanial benefit to strict form for athletic performance.

When you say form, do you mean range of motion (ROM)? It might seem like an arbitrary distinction, but you can have good form/technique while cutting the range short.

As far as general exercises, it's hard to say really. If the purpose is athletic performance it probably depends on the exercise and the sport, but I wouldn't overthink it. A lot of these effects are marginal. In regards to the specific exercise that Jones is doing, ie the pullup, he looks like he's sufficiently tight throughout the movement. When punching you don't use your lats through their full ROM, but you will keep your shoulder blades engaged depending on your stance. So this version of the pullup, lats not going through full ROM and shoulder blades engaged, doesn't actually seem so bad for boxing specifically. Can be easier on the shoulder joint too.

Last edited:
That's actually very astute and grossly overlooked. Thanks. I feel like there's an overemphasis on power training in S&C. I get the appeal, and it can be very useful at the right time and shouldn't be neglected, but you have to be able to be in position to deliver that power. Performance is so much more than just one attribute.

When you say form, do you mean range of motion (ROM)? It might seem like an arbitrary distinction, but you can have good form/technique while cutting the range short.

As far as general exercises, it's hard to say really. If the purpose is athletic performance it probably depends on the exercise and the sport, but I wouldn't overthink it. A lot of these effects are marginal. In regards to the specific exercise that Jones is doing, ie the pullup, he looks like he's sufficiently tight throughout the movement. When punching you don't use your lats through their full ROM, but you will keep your shoulder blades engaged depending on your stance. So this version of the pullup, lats not going through full ROM and shoulder blades engaged, doesn't actually seem so bad for boxing specifically. Can be easier on the shoulder joint too.
Yes I'm talking about ROM. It makes sense that the shortened ROM pullup RJJ is doing might be more beneficial for boxing. Do you think full ROM pullups (or any other exercises from the basic movement patterns) have benefits that you need that you can't get from a shortened ROM version?

Also what are your thoughts on how much asymmetry is too much in a specialized athlete? I have heard in most power related sports like sprinters and other track&field events anterior pelvic tilt is exhibited in most athletes to some extent due to a higher need for lower body power. How do you maximise the specific muscle devlopement needed for your sports demands while avoiding potential injuries from muscle imbalances?

Some good information in this thread i will add my piece.

And solid S@C program adds to the athletic and their sport.

All athletes need basic things:

Flexibility
Stability
Strength
Relative endurance

Flexibility is self explanatory. You cant be too flexibility. Dynamic stretch before static after.

There have been some good conversation on stability I'd like to add the the core ( defined as the hips, lower back, and abs) is design to keep your body sturdy. Rotational strong is created when you strengthen the core you don't really need to work on both although it doesn't hurt.

Exercises:
hanging leg raises
Ab roll outs
Dragon flies
L sits

Strength is simple in concept you just need progressive overload. If you look at my training log in my sig I focus entirely on bodyweight exercises. Dips, pull ups, pseudo planche push ups, elevated rows. You can focus on weights if you'd like it comes down to progressively increasing the difficulty.

Relative endurance.

Every sport has its own energy base. Biking, running swimming all help with general endurance but in the end to get used to your sport you will need to practice your sport.

In terms of general S&C I'd say strength work 2 days, flexibility everyday, sport 6 days a week general endurance 2-6 days a week depending on how close to a fight you are.

Yes I'm talking about ROM. It makes sense that the shortened ROM pullup RJJ is doing might be more beneficial for boxing. Do you think full ROM pullups (or any other exercises from the basic movement patterns) have benefits that you need that you can't get from a shortened ROM version?

Also what are your thoughts on how much asymmetry is too much in a specialized athlete? I have heard in most power related sports like sprinters and other track&field events anterior pelvic tilt is exhibited in most athletes to some extent due to a higher need for lower body power. How do you maximise the specific muscle devlopement needed for your sports demands while avoiding potential injuries from muscle imbalances?
As far as GPP is concerned, I think doing full ROM safe and with good form is the best way to go about it, unless you have a specific sticking point or purpose. That way you're strengthening the muscles across greater lengths, which is more "well rounded", so to say.

How much asymmetry is too much, that's hard to answer. "Asymmetrical" posture can correlate with pain and injury, but it doesn't have to (1, 2, 3). Think of it more as some people having a vulnerability towards a certain posture or repeated movement, rather than the posture itself being inherently wrong. The individual variety is pretty great. Regarding ATP, it's actually very normal and most people in the general population have it to some degree (4, 5). It does appear that sprinters and soccer players may have higher degrees of ATP yes (6), which some argue might be beneficial for sport performance, due to longer hamstring stretch and better position for hip extension, while others think that it's merely a byproduct of the movements and doesn't improve performance. The evidence isn't quite clear on that and I'm not sold on either. But as long as it's not overt or causes pain, I don't know that it's necessarily a risk factor for injury. There's a lot of variety in postures and movements between individuals in various sports, but it would be impossible to give everyone a tailored program outside of rehab or another one-to-one client-practitioner relationship. So with that, I think there's some general rules which could be applied as part of the S&C. As far as maximizing performance/specific muscle development while avoiding imbalances, I would prioritize injury prevention and good movement patterns. Nothing will hinder your performance more than being injured and hurt. That's what makes GPP so great because that's where you can really build a strong foundation (posture, tendon/tissue strength, balance, movement quality) (7) without worrying too much about the specificity. When I say too much, I mean that I personally would probably always adjust the program a little according to the sport requirements and needs of the athlete, even during the GPP phase. It's a tough question though.

Last edited:
Back