Strength workout specifically for boxing

Ballsaque

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Right now i'm doing a classic bodybuilder type routine.

I feel like i should be switching things up now that im getting back into boxing.

What are y'all doing? Anybody got a good routine? @Sinister

Check my YouTube page linked in my sig. I'm doing a lot of stuff that strength and conditioning gurus traditionally shit on, because they don't want to bother learning what types of strength and endurance are needed for specific sports.

People always tell me to do 5/3/1. I actually get confused on what week i'm on most of the time. So thats why i just stop it.

Check my YouTube page linked in my sig. I'm doing a lot of stuff that strength and conditioning gurus traditionally shit on, because they don't want to bother learning what types of strength and endurance are needed for specific sports.
If you got the time would you mind giving a brief explanation I can’t access YouTube now and I am very interested in what you have to say about S&C related to boxing

Well Sano, Sinister are and many more are more competent than me in S and C.

Here are my 2 cents.

In BB and Powerlifting there is a core lifting based on the 5x5 program which is basically do Squat, Bench, Rows 3 times per week and add once per week DL. All that for 5 reps x 5 sets with a heavier weight every time. And then all the variables start based on goals, how many times per week you can train, fatigue management and etc. Everything is really individual and you either need to learn your body or hire a coach to measure your strengths and weaknesses.

Here is how the standard Strenght program will go - measure your 1 RM maxes for lifts like Squat, Bench and DL.
Week 1 - lift 5x5 at 85%
week 2 - lift 5x5 at 90%
week 3 lift - 3x5 at 95%
week 4 deload - lift at 65-75 % with slightly more reps and perhaps less sets for example 3x8 or 4x6

repeat weeks 1,2,3,4 after measure new 1 max RPs - repeat again 8 weeks or change slightly exercise.
Main lifts are squat, bench, ohp, row, DL however dips and chin up are great too.

And then depending on how often you want to lift and how often you want to be boxing. Keep in mind both sports are very taxing to the CNS and do not combine well in the long term. So I would advice doing less lifting.

I don't think additional bulking helps to absorb power. I got along fine without it, and I've had occasional gym wars. You won't add significant amount of power either. Might make you slower even and more fatigued

I recommend kettlebell swings.

From my experience with boxing, I never had any carryover from squatting and deadlifting.

Did G-man look like he could bench press shit? Look then how he had a bigger ko ratio than Jackson, and half a dozen of those were to the body (!!).

When will they learn..

Interesting, i'm watching some videos, do you have any videos in particular you'd point to?

Whats your thoughts on traditional stuff, bench/squats/deads and so on - Also thinking stuff like powercleans could have application?

Nah, just watch all of them eventually. There's some stuff with weights

- Sinister channel:

Since i bet another people do like me and read the forum without log in!

Some good stuff there! Core stability, core stability with moving extremities, anteriorly loaded squats, anteriorly loaded lunges, ipsilateral lunges with trunk rotation, lateral lunges and steps for lateral force transmission, same but with added upper body push, powerful triple extension in the jumps, clean variations and jerks. Very relevant exercises and very sports specific.

Who's in charge of your S&C and whats your programming/periodization like?

Complexes with light to moderate weight
Body weight (calisthenics)
Ballistic exercises (med ball throws)
Isometrics (both yielding and overcoming)

Honestly it should depend on how strong you are and what your goals are for your weight

Squats

Pull ups

That's all you need for overall strength

Then just focus on boxing

Back