Strength Training twice a week?

KnightTemplar

Green(Goblin)Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
If I can only train twice a week, what would be the most efficient program? I think I basically have three choices:

1)SS Twice a week.

2)5/3/1 Two day template.

3)the 2 day split from the FAQ.

Start with SS and switch when necessary

Two day split form the FAQ. I did it for a couple weeks when things got hectic and it worked beautifully. Its in my logs too I think. I added +5lbs to everything.

If I can only train twice a week, what would be the most efficient program? I think I basically have three choices:

1)SS Twice a week.

2)5/3/1 Two day template.

I think your choice here should be dictated by whether or not you can follow SS and add weight to the bar every workout. If you can, then there's no reason not to do SS. It's simple and doesn't require a lot of planning.

If you can't add weight to the bar every workout, then 5/3/1 is probably a good choice since it allows you to work on PR's at a variety of weight ranges and gradually pushes forward your 1 RM.

SS would be my first choice. My one reservation is that SS is supposed to be run 3 times a week. And Coach Rip himself has said that if you change any part of the program you are effectively not doing Starting Strength.

That being the case, I don't know if I should just do Workouts A and B from Practical Programing or add some exercises to them, since I'm not doing SS anyway. And to make sure I'm getting enough work.

It doesn't matter which one you choose. If you go with an abbreviated SS it will be pretty much the same as the two day in the FAQ. You're going to add weight every time you lift, on the same lifts. You don't need to add anything. In a years time when you're stronger you're going to say "man, it really didn't matter what I did."

It doesn't matter which one you choose. If you go with an abbreviated SS it will be pretty much the same as the two day in the FAQ. You're going to add weight every time you lift, on the same lifts. You don't need to add anything. In a years time when you're stronger you're going to say "man, it really didn't matter what I did."

Good points, well presented!:icon_chee

I did a 2 day workout for about a year and it was not so bad. I basically took a 3 day split, 1 chest/back push/pull, 1 deadlift and 1 squat day, I think just alternated each week between the squat day and the deadlift day, but always doing the chest/back day

"Ultimate MMA Conditioning" actually recommends twice a week lifts during technique training. Usually two days off, and workouts similar to SS or Texas.

Back