Strength & Power FAQ - READ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's been discussed a bit, especially in the training logs. I have started using power cleans (about 3x3 usually) as a warm up for my DL day, and it doesn't hurt my pulling at all I don't think.

This may not be a very frequently asked question but I dont see the need to create a thread.

Simple question. Why the fuck did this happen?

hi, there has been some people lately (including me) asking all about front squats since backsquats are hard for beginners without equipment

i think some questions like what the differences are would be good, also videos are hard to find on them, but these have to be the cleanest front squats i've ever seen

YouTube - Dabaya 5x200 front squat

this from our pals at crossfit is alright
YouTube - How to do a FRONT SQUAT?

I read the lifting heavy things article. He says 5x5 is suboptimal. So 5 reps is best (at 90%+ RM)?

I think most people cant make the distinction between strength training, body building, and calisthenics/conditioning type work. When you're skinny and weak, bodybuilding and conditioning/calisthenics will make you bigger and stronger up to a point. Once you reach that point though is where the types of training diverge. Something more specific about that needs to be added to this FAQ. And I apologize if everyone already suggested that, I didnt read all the way through the whole thread

Q: Do I have to do Squats/Deadlifts?

A:YES, These are the two most important lifts in terms of overall body strength and development. No amount of benching and curling will make up for not doing them; any routine that does not include them is inherently flawed.

I can't do squats. **insert pussy/sad face here**

I have a bad neck and shoulders and have a hard time with the pain in them the next day with the bar resting there.

Any suggestions on what I could use to replace the squat?

Also, I have been reading up some 5x5 routines. Some suggest about resting for up to 3mins in between sets to focus on strenght, rest for 90sec to focus on size.

Two questions. Does it really fucking matter? If it does, what the fuck am I going to do with myself for 3 damn minutes? Turn my 5x5 into a superset? lol

I can't do squats. **insert pussy/sad face here**

I have a bad neck and shoulders and have a hard time with the pain in them the next day with the bar resting there.

Any suggestions on what I could use to replace the squat?

You could try zercher squats. YouTube - Dead-start Zercher Squats

Also, I have been reading up some 5x5 routines. Some suggest about resting for up to 3mins in between sets to focus on strenght, rest for 90sec to focus on size.

Two questions. Does it really fucking matter? If it does, what the fuck am I going to do with myself for 3 damn minutes? Turn my 5x5 into a superset? lol

It matters in that when the weight gets heavy, you'll need the three minutes -or more- to be able to complete the next set. The rest is welcome.

You could try zercher squats. YouTube - Dead-start Zercher Squats

It matters in that when the weight gets heavy, you'll need the three minutes -or more- to be able to complete the next set. The rest is welcome.

Thanks man.

Actually, I went ahead and put away the tampon and did the back squats anyways. I am doing lifts from a 5x5 program, but instead of 5x5 I am doing 4x8.

I know this isn't really the right forum to discuss, since it really isn't for my overall power, but I did get the set up ideas from threads in here.

I am only in my first week into the program and I can already feel a significant differance from my prior workout program (Back&Bi's, Chest&Ti's, Blah Blah Blah...Lots of isolated movements) The lifts I got from the 5x5 program have made me feel 100xs better. The reason I chose the lesser sets and more reps was because I still am trying to lose weight and don't want to gain a whole shit ton of mass, even if it is muscle.

Hope it works **crosses fingers**

This may not be a very frequently asked question but I dont see the need to create a thread.

Simple question. Why the fuck did this happen?

If you catch the bar too high in the rack position I think it either pinches an artery or obstructs the trachea. That plus the strain of holding the weight probably made the guy pass out.

I first heard of this when I saw the documentary on the "world's strongest girl" about a russian dad who made his daughters train weightlifting at a really young age. I think she missed one of her lifts in that documentary for that reason, the barbell was either blocking blood or oxygen.

The guy above in the video could've also been dumb and held his breath way too long.

If I do intense conditioning on sunday that gives me DOMS, will that F up my strength lifting on monday?

Awesome thread, great for SnP n00bs (myself)

Question: why is the 20 rep squat thing in there? The article talks mainly about high rep training for mass, and "relative strength" is opposed to training for hypertrophy.

Statement: maybe someone has written this already, but "callus" and "callous" don't mean the same thing. You're thinking of a callus, plural calluses.

Question: why is the 20 rep squat thing in there? The article talks mainly about high rep training for mass, and "relative strength" is opposed to training for hypertrophy.

I guess it's because there is only so much strength you can get without gaining mass, and for some people, 20 rep squats are the only routine able to get them past a certain mass plateau. I think it's more of an intermediate routine than a beginner one anyway. As long as it's temporary, I suppose it can help getting stronger.

Also, any routine having you doing squats must have at meast a bit of good in it.

If I do intense conditioning on sunday that gives me DOMS, will that F up my strength lifting on monday?

Strength and conditioning can not both be increased optimally, if thats your question. If its with programing and you want to know if having a heavy cardio will mess up your lifting the next day I would suppose so. You should start a thread and get your routine looked at.

Man whichever fucking genius' idea was it to merge the two forums?

Now we get some sort of hybrid bastard child going on up in this bitch.

Smashius do something about it dammit.

20 Rep squats will do more for you than just mass.

It's steroids for your legs. You will be stronger from it no doubt.

20 Rep squats will do more for you than just mass.

It's steroids for your legs. You will be stronger from it no doubt.

There is plenty of doubt. You don't need it, and will probably benefit more from not doing 20 rep squats, with or without your milk.

There is plenty of doubt. You don't need it, and will probably benefit more from not doing 20 rep squats, with or without your milk.

It's just like any other routine. You don't HAVE to do it to get stronger.

But anyone with weak squat numbers that want to add 40+ lbs to their one rep max within 6 weeks should do it.

I do believe though that if within those 6 weeks you are not able to eat like a monster every day, and have plenty of rest, you will not succeed those 6 weeks.

It is the most brutal thing I've ever done, and the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back