Strength/power and endurance at the same time

CanMMAfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is it possible to train strength/power and endurance in the same workout while providing maximum stimulus for each and not increasing how many days it takes to recover? Like doing sets of 5-6 reps and then doing sets of 15-20 for the same body part. Or would I be better off doing strength/power for a couple months and then switching to endurance for a couple months and continuing to go back and forth like that?

Big compound movements at moderate weight as fast as you can. Limited rest and repeat x 5 .

Yes you can however you won't be able to do the absolute maximum in the one you do second.

It's quite common to do core lifts for low reps(1-5 reps) then do additional assistance or accessory lifts for higher reps(6-20 rep).

Is it possible to train strength/power and endurance in the same workout while providing maximum stimulus for each and not increasing how many days it takes to recover? Like doing sets of 5-6 reps and then doing sets of 15-20 for the same body part. Or would I be better off doing strength/power for a couple months and then switching to endurance for a couple months and continuing to go back and forth like that?
What kind of endurance are you trying to build? I wouldn’t call 15-20 rep sets endurance work in most situations.

How old are you? Do you have any experience wrestling?

Periodization is overrated. Train both concurrently.

The only time in which an athlete should train for strength and nothing else is if he’s some powerlifting or Olympic lifting purist who has no desire to do other sports. Otherwise, train both. Strength gains will not turn to zero just because you add some cardio.

Just don’t overdo it.

Guys like Chuck Liddell liked the row machine when preparing for a fight.

It‘s still muscular and anaerobic endurance.
What movement are you imagining that will develop anaerobic endurance in a 15-20 rep range?
Yes, it can develop muscular endurance based on how long it takes to do those 15-20 reps. I never heard back from OP but "endurance" like he's referring too is probably not something being developed with say 15-20 reps of dumbbell bench for example.

What movement are you imagining that will develop anaerobic endurance in a 15-20 rep range?
Yes, it can develop muscular endurance based on how long it takes to do those 15-20 reps. I never heard back from OP but "endurance" like he's referring too is probably not something being developed with say 15-20 reps of dumbbell bench for example.

Definitely none of the complex stuff like cleans, snatches, and jerks. I’m thinking kettlebell movements. Squats and swings.

Endurance has a spectrum. There’s pure aerobic which is about very long-distance running, and then there’s simply muscular endurance like bodybuilding with light weights. Both have good purpose.

I honestly cannot imagine how anyone can ever become a high level boxer without doing aerobic training. But with Judo or wrestling? You can ditch the aerobic stuff and just do goblet squats and swings with somewhat light weights.

Definitely none of the complex stuff like cleans, snatches, and jerks. I’m thinking kettlebell movements. Squats and swings.
Why? What’s the difference between those exercises?
I don’t think any of them work well for anaerobic training.

I honestly cannot imagine how anyone can ever become a high level boxer without doing aerobic training. But with Judo or wrestling? You can ditch the aerobic stuff and just do goblet squats and swings with somewhat light weights.
All athletes should include aerobic training.

I think you may have answered this question yourself at 4am with the creation of your other thread lol.
There are many benefits to aerobic work. It's highly trainable and you can also train it at low intensities as to not negatively affect your other training/recovery. Start with the Conditioning sticky at the top of the S&C forum.

I'm thinking about anaerobic endurance and increasing lactic acid threshold, doing 15 to 20 reps fast and to failure definitely leaves my muscles burning and gets my heart rate up.

Yes, but not all at the same rate. You'll need periods of specialization after the general conditioning period to shore up the area of opportunity/ weakness.

Back