Strength and weight disadvantage.

Well, I would suggest some type of open guard game from your back, as this will keep your opponents weight off of you, and give you space to work with. Use your legs and hips to control his body.

Transition is your friend when you have a top position. You might try to play a much looser game. Especially mount. You could be looking for them to buck you off, and letting them turn and taking their back. You should always be looking to take there back.

There are plenty of incredible Jiu Jitsu players out there your size. You just have to keep training, and work through this frustration period.

trust me when you look back on 5 years you'll be like, "Ive came a long way." Dont worry it will come do a time when youll totally play with people twice your size.

krait said:
I'm 6'0 and 220lbs. The guys I have the most trouble with are almost always smaller than me . They are usually a lot more flexible and have musch better endurance. Usually starts out with me maintianing control for awhile till I gass and that little bastard will catch me in something because I'm so tired I get sloppy. Not that I'm a whiz to begin with . But I can power my way through in the begining but after a few minutes their skill always gets me.

I'm the same way. I usually have more trouble with smaller more technical guys than bigger stronger opponents.

Try the spider guard. Closed guard sucks against guys that are much stronger than you, they'll blow past it. Spider guard is ideal to hold against much stronger guys, because your leg and your arm will easily overpower the other guy's arm.

Just make sure to follow the cardinal spider guard rule: One leg fully extended while the other is fully retracted at all times. That's what makes it work.

Mat time.

There's no magical answer that will negate strength and weight disadvantages.

People have suggest a bunch of techniques you can work on, but without seeing you roll, there's not much anyone can do aside from general suggestions.

How long have you been training, btw? The answers for someone in their first month are very different from the answers of someone at month 12 (or whatever).

Back