Street Fight Truths?

Adnan Adil

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I am making this thread, because of all the experts who give different opinions. I've been training for a very long time martial arts and combat sports and I definitely feel very strange about tall those facts on internet and that's why I want to ask all the sherdoggers who have actually in street fights and/ or self defense situations to share their opinion on some of this truths or myths.

1) Don't use headbutts in fight! Don't headbutt with your forehead, but instead of it use the top of the head!
I have never headbutted someone or been headbutted by someone so here I can't share experience.

2) Don't use punches! Use vertical punches! Use only the bottom three knuckles! Use open hand strikes and other variations of hand strikes (hammer fists, knife hands, finger jabs and etc.).
I've always used mainly punches. I have never hurt my hands. Yes, I have some conditioning and also I use punches quite often for GnP. In my wushu gym we were taught vertical punches, but I can't remember a case in which I have used a vertical straight punch. And about the knuckles- I think it is less painful to land with the smaller knuckles and it is somehow more natural (just go on the heavy bag without trying to land with the bigger knuckles and see which knuckles are more bruised after this). Slaps and hammer fists have been used by me and they also have some effect. When fighting for fun with friends, with only body blows allowed I have used spear hands. They have effect, believe me, especially in the solar plexus or liver.

3) Don't lift your feet of the ground except for moving! Don't kick! Don't kick high!
Honestly in training I have always spent a lot of time for practicing my kicks. In street fight if I am calm I will use them. In hard sparring sessions I have missed to land a leg kick to the supporting leg of my partner after I caught his kicking leg. I was so pissed off, because he was going too hard. I have noticed many times that when the things are going hard, I don't use so much my kicks. Honestly I am not sure is it so easy to fall on the ground if you kick in a street fight. If your adrenaline is too high, you just don't kick, you rely more on you punches, it is somehow natural.

4) Don't grapple! Don't go on the ground!
I have grappled and use it to move the fight on the ground. I have never had a problem. I don't say that it is safe, but still the grappling is very helpful and might be s safer way to finish a fight. I prefer to control my opponents and to throw some GnP and the things become calmer very fast.

5) Parry and block instead of avoiding the strikes!
I block, just by absorbing the strikes mainly. I catch sometimes kicks, but not so often. I don't know what is the purpose of this rule, but if you stick to it, you are going to violate rule 4.

6) Keep your hands opened in front of you like in a MT stance!
Sometimes I use this stance. But in close range with punches in bunches I am not very sure that is going to help.

7) The size doesn't matter!
If you are top level athlete and you are fighting someone with less skills it is true. In every other caset the size matters. Yes, smaller people beat bigger guys, but this is so rear. I have always used my size advantage and I think it is helping a lot.

So guys, these are some the things that we all constantly listen. Most coaches look to these rules only through their MA or CS's view. What do you think about these rules? Do you stick to them? Does anyone think that all or some of them are useful?

"What do you think about these rules? Do you stick to them?"

Don't stick to any rule in those situations. Instinct will take over anyway. Avoidance and dissuasion first, and if all fails then use objects / weapons, strike hard and fast and run.

Don't street fight. That solves your problem entirely.

Headbutts work, punches work, kicks work.
There is a time and place for everything
I see headbutts as a sucker punch 1st hit and have seen fights begin and end with it
I’m old now and will avoid a street fight whenever I can but have some tricks up my sleeve
Teeps or front kicks are surprisingly effective in my opinion as a 1st strike
Leg kicks definitely work against your average non trained person

Also violence comes on like a car crash sometimes you can’t be prepared for it. Instinct will take over if you can survive the initial attack by covering up you are 1/2 way there. There is no squaring up usually it’s an attack you probably didn’t expect

Headbutts work, punches work, kicks work.
There is a time and place for everything
I see headbutts as a sucker punch 1st hit and have seen fights begin and end with it
I’m old now and will avoid a street fight whenever I can but have some tricks up my sleeve
Teeps or front kicks are surprisingly effective in my opinion as a 1st strike
Leg kicks definitely work against your average non trained person

You better change that profile pic, before the bloods find you man. 69 is being hunted already man.

For all things real world violence related I suggest active self protection on YouTube. They use real footage of violent crimes from body/dashcams, security footage and phone footage that’s been uploaded somewhere (sometimes sent directly to them) to highlight the realities of violence, and analyze what went right and what went wrong for the defenders.

The best way to deal with being in areas where spicy situations are a possibility is by going in numbers.

You've got lots of friends you can go out with on trips and would have your back in a fight, right guys?

Last edited:
The best way to deal with being in areas where spicy situations are a possibility is by going in numbers.

You've got lots of friends you can go out with on trips and would have your back in a fight, right guys?
if it’s an area you’re worried about you could just not go there at all

I am making this thread, because of all the experts who give different opinions. I've been training for a very long time martial arts and combat sports and I definitely feel very strange about tall those facts on internet and that's why I want to ask all the sherdoggers who have actually in street fights and/ or self defense situations to share their opinion on some of this truths or myths.

1) Don't use headbutts in fight! Don't headbutt with your forehead, but instead of it use the top of the head!
I have never headbutted someone or been headbutted by someone so here I can't share experience.

2) Don't use punches! Use vertical punches! Use only the bottom three knuckles! Use open hand strikes and other variations of hand strikes (hammer fists, knife hands, finger jabs and etc.).
I've always used mainly punches. I have never hurt my hands. Yes, I have some conditioning and also I use punches quite often for GnP. In my wushu gym we were taught vertical punches, but I can't remember a case in which I have used a vertical straight punch. And about the knuckles- I think it is less painful to land with the smaller knuckles and it is somehow more natural (just go on the heavy bag without trying to land with the bigger knuckles and see which knuckles are more bruised after this). Slaps and hammer fists have been used by me and they also have some effect. When fighting for fun with friends, with only body blows allowed I have used spear hands. They have effect, believe me, especially in the solar plexus or liver.

3) Don't lift your feet of the ground except for moving! Don't kick! Don't kick high!
Honestly in training I have always spent a lot of time for practicing my kicks. In street fight if I am calm I will use them. In hard sparring sessions I have missed to land a leg kick to the supporting leg of my partner after I caught his kicking leg. I was so pissed off, because he was going too hard. I have noticed many times that when the things are going hard, I don't use so much my kicks. Honestly I am not sure is it so easy to fall on the ground if you kick in a street fight. If your adrenaline is too high, you just don't kick, you rely more on you punches, it is somehow natural.

4) Don't grapple! Don't go on the ground!
I have grappled and use it to move the fight on the ground. I have never had a problem. I don't say that it is safe, but still the grappling is very helpful and might be s safer way to finish a fight. I prefer to control my opponents and to throw some GnP and the things become calmer very fast.

5) Parry and block instead of avoiding the strikes!
I block, just by absorbing the strikes mainly. I catch sometimes kicks, but not so often. I don't know what is the purpose of this rule, but if you stick to it, you are going to violate rule 4.

6) Keep your hands opened in front of you like in a MT stance!
Sometimes I use this stance. But in close range with punches in bunches I am not very sure that is going to help.

7) The size doesn't matter!
If you are top level athlete and you are fighting someone with less skills it is true. In every other caset the size matters. Yes, smaller people beat bigger guys, but this is so rear. I have always used my size advantage and I think it is helping a lot.

So guys, these are some the things that we all constantly listen. Most coaches look to these rules only through their MA or CS's view. What do you think about these rules? Do you stick to them? Does anyone think that all or some of them are useful?
1) headbutts are a brutal weapon, but you can rattle yourself if you land them wrong, I recently split someone from eyebrow to hairline with a headbutt and knocked them out for several minutes. It was also the first time I have had a minor concussion.
2) If you feel the need to fight, breaking knuckles is the least of your concerns.
3) I don't kick in brawls, but I had a mate that had no formal training and he used to knock people out frequently with head kicks in street fights. It can be dangerous but it can work, it really depends on what your most comfortable throwing.
4) it's best to avoid grappling, but it's nearly impossible in a brawl. I have had to use some wrestling in most of the serious fights I have been in.
5) use what ever method avoids the most damage, a lot of street fights happen in confined spaces where footwork isn't much of an option.
6) keep your hands open so you can make use of bricks and broken bottles. Just kidding it's all about style and what your most comfortable with.
7) if somebody tells you size doesn't matter they are probably selling something. I have had a few fights against bigger people and multiple opponents and I can tell you now it isn't easy. one bloke I fought was so much heavier, that I ended up underneath when I dropped him, just because he was hanging on to my shirt.
P.s the best skill is avoidance, unless you really like small rooms and lots of male company. I nearly went to jail for a fight that I had with multiple people because of the damage that I did, even though I was on my own and there was several of them. Assault occasioning bodily harm, and grievous bodily harm are not terms you what to become familiar with.

Last edited:
if it’s an area you’re worried about you could just not go there at all

That's the thing about these sorts of conversations; they're almost always predicated on some sort of disadvantageous preconditions that you 'have' to be in.

Why would i ever not have my weapon?

Why would i ever not have backup?

Why would i ever allow myself into such a situation where i could reasonably expect to need such things but don't have them anyways for some reason?

That's the thing about these sorts of conversations; they're almost always predicated on some sort of disadvantageous preconditions that you 'have' to be in.

Why would i ever allow myself into such a situation where i could reasonably expect to need such things but don't have them anyways for some reason?
There are several reasons you may not have your weapon.
Do you have backup everywhere you go?

Typically if it’s a part of town or a specific place (like a bar) there’s an easy answer lol, but criminals don’t always hangout in the sketchy parts of town where they’re easily avoided.

Typically if it’s a part of town or a specific place (like a bar) there’s an easy answer lol, but criminals don’t always hangout in the sketchy parts of town where they’re easily avoided.

So you're disagreeing with your own point earlier then ?

No one carries weapons in Aus unless your a wanna be gangster or bikie.

Last edited:

Thank fuck I live in a country were people still fist fight and don't all carry weapons. You lads would get seriously clowned for carrying weapons were I come from.

Thank fuck I live in a country were people still fist fight and don't all carry weapons. You lads would get seriously clowned for carrying weapons were I come from.
id rather get clowned than hospitalized because because I couldn’t fight off multiple attackers.

But what country doesn’t have people carrying weapons? Or do you mean a country where law abiding citizens don’t carry weapons?

id rather get clowned than hospitalized because because I couldn’t fight off multiple attackers.

But what country doesn’t have people carrying weapons? Or do you mean a country where law abiding citizens don’t carry weapons?
You will be in serious shit in Australia if your caught with a knife not to mention a gun. We don't have concealed carry licenses, and your right, law abiding citizens don't carry weapons over here.

Back