Strategy against the guard staller

Usually when I'm in this position my opponent's elbows are tucked in tight next to my hips and there's very little grip fighting going on--my opponent's just hanging onto me but killing my hips with his low posture and tight elbows. I'm having a hard time picturing how he's controlling your hips and wrists at the same time.

It's more of a back and forth from one to the other. Knowing those 2 reactions, I could probably capitalize on this. The cycle kind of goes, he postures to start a break or pass, I try breaking his posture through grips, he grabs my hands and drops posture to safety position, rinse and repeat.

It's more of a back and forth from one to the other. Knowing those 2 reactions, I could probably capitalize on this. The cycle kind of goes, he postures to start a break or pass, I try breaking his posture through grips, he grabs my hands and drops posture to safety position, rinse and repeat.

Ah, I see. So he's not in a stalling posture for very long then...I think maintaining your grip (so that he can't grab your hands) would help more than advice for dealing with a stalling opponent. Most of the stalling opponent attacks I'm familiar with begin with either pushing the head or digging under the biceps to pry his arm out. In both of those cases you'd need a free hand.

It's actually pretty interesting topic as most people do not stall in practice. So when you go to compete and encounter stalling it's very difficult to deal with. Most things I was going to suggest have been mentioned, but I'll add this - practice against someone who's trying to stall specifically for competitions.

Back