Strategy against the guard staller

Bruce Calavera

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So all this Silva/Sonnen talk has got me thinking about the people who give me the most trouble in nogi. These are the people who are perfectly content staying in guard and grip fighting to negate my game. Low posture, hips trapped, hands either on my torso holding me down or grabbing wrists. This has yet to work on me in regard to breaking and passing but it stiffles my game completely and stops the action. I can't really attack because I have such poor grips that any attempt at an attack would just be kamakaze. Any anti stalling advice?

You could try saying whatever Koscheck was saying to Daley, at least that might provoke some action out of him :icon_chee

A good place to start is placing both palms on your opponent's temple and pushing the head to either side...this should create some space for you to start moving your hips.

It's really tough to force action on someone who's intent on stalling inside your guard. If a guy is really heavy on me, I post both hands on his head and push it to one side while hipping out to the other side to try and create an angle and get one of my feet on his hip.

I hate when people stall, especially in practice...

If someone is using a low pressure, they have no posture. I go for 2 things against these guys.

1. Open the guard and start throwing a leg over for omoplata. You need some wrist control on the side you are attacking.

2. Underhook one side, clasp my hands for that"shawn williams" style of game. This forces a arm up and makes the person react to the threat.

Why not open your guard, feet on his hips, push off and start over? Harder for him to stall if you can get top position.

If someone is using a low pressure, they have no posture. I go for 2 things against these guys.

1. Open the guard and start throwing a leg over for omoplata. You need some wrist control on the side you are attacking.

2. Underhook one side, clasp my hands for that"shawn williams" style of game. This forces a arm up and makes the person react to the threat.

Low pressure does not necessarily mean no posture. Posture is a lot about keeping your back in the right alignment.

For example, if you do a deadlift, you still need to have good posture even though you are bent over. The low pressure is a similar concept.

There are a few good passing options from that posture so it's definitely not a beginner mistake to keep low as long as things are done right.

Why not open your guard, feet on his hips, push off and start over? Harder for him to stall if you can get top position.

i agree with this i always do the unexpected and push off and get back up if we aint makin no progress

So all this Silva/Sonnen talk has got me thinking about the people who give me the most trouble in nogi. These are the people who are perfectly content staying in guard and grip fighting to negate my game. Low posture, hips trapped, hands either on my torso holding me down or grabbing wrists. This has yet to work on me in regard to breaking and passing but it stiffles my game completely and stops the action. I can't really attack because I have such poor grips that any attempt at an attack would just be kamakaze. Any anti stalling advice?

If his head is low enough......put your open hand on his forehead and place your pinky finger and thumb on his temples and squeeze. This will he either cause him to pull his head away or reach up with one of his hands to remove your hand.

If he reaches up grab his wrist...if he pulls is head away you now have some space to move your hips.

A good place to start is placing both palms on your opponent's temple and pushing the head to either side...this should create some space for you to start moving your hips.

Bingo! Frame against their head to create enough space to get your hips moving to the side opposite of where you're pushing their head to.

I love the responses but there are a couple problems with what you're recommending.

1. My hips are trapped and I can't move to the point of getting a foot on to a hip.

2. There's so much grip fighting from the guy on top that I'm unable to use my hands for anything. It feels like my full effort is given to getting rid of grips.

Does this sound like I'm just not trying hard enough?

I love the responses but there are a couple problems with what you're recommending.

1. My hips are trapped and I can't move to the point of getting a foot on to a hip.

2. There's so much grip fighting from the guy on top that I'm unable to use my hands for anything. It feels like my full effort is given to getting rid of grips.

Usually when I'm in this position my opponent's elbows are tucked in tight next to my hips and there's very little grip fighting going on--my opponent's just hanging onto me but killing my hips with his low posture and tight elbows. I'm having a hard time picturing how he's controlling your hips and wrists at the same time.

If his head is low enough......put your open hand on his forehead and place your pinky finger and thumb on his temples and squeeze. This will he either cause him to pull his head away or reach up with one of his hands to remove your hand.

If he reaches up grab his wrist...if he pulls is head away you now have some space to move your hips.

Squeezing the temples with your fingers? Seriously?

He can't stall in your guard if he's not in it. Open up and take his back.

If you have strong legs try squeezing his sides.....just straighten your legs and squeeze. This will cause discomfort and will get him to react. I have a strong legs so I can usually make people tap just by squeezing their ribs or sides.

Last edited:
Back