Stop hating on old great fighters for not being active

I mean it matters if the fighter still loves to fight or not, how strong their passion is.

GSP didn’t want to fight anymore so he retired. He got tired of it and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Anderson still loved to fight after his prime so he kept fighting in the UFC and then went to boxing afterwards. He doesnt care about his win-loss record. He fights because he still LOVES to fight and there’s also nothing wrong with that.

A fighter will continue to fight as long as they still love to fight and have a strong passion for stepping in the cage. It’s as simple as that.

It's one thing to relinquish the title and step aside like GSP, it's another thing to not fight or get suspended but holding on to the title.

Most of us don't think less of Fedor or Anderson when they lost in the twilight of their careers. They went out and gave it all without the fear of losing
This is exactly it. GSP is not the same. He stepped aside after the fight. Gave the belt up right away. Didn't hold a belt and a division hostage. Class act. Respects the sport, respects other fighters, respects the fans.

Discussion is fun at times but many, many folks here have too much invested in what they can't change. I could never let the things I dislike about the current state of MMA ruin what I enjoy - FIGHTS! Course I also don't care to argue over trivialities I can't affect.

<Fedor23>

Actually no, early on I loved Jones, in his initial rise to the top.

It wasn't until he started having DUI's and run ins with the law that I first started to back away from him.

Then the constant drug fails, eye pokes and dirty tactics.

Then the multiple suspensions and failed drug tests made me not care to see him gone.

But his initial rise, I liked him back then.

His hall of fame night is REALLY difficult to ride with.

- Crying
- throwing a temper tantrum like a 3 year old
-headbutting the cop car

calls cops:
"fucking crackers"
"fucking nerds"
"fucking officer nerd"

Plays the race card repeatedly

It takes a special kind of narcissist to play the victim on the night he split his wife's face open in front of his children.

Jones and Khabib are like Mayweather in that they only care about claiming they have never been beat. I respect any fighter who challenges themself and fights all the best. I don't care about the "0"
A lot of people like to trash Chuck Liddell but he never hid from a challenge.
GSP took on all the best competition in his prime and when he was burning out he vacated the belt and left before coming back briefly but he never held the belt hostage.

Jones striking is terrible and I can't understand why people think he is so flawlessly skilled. Yes his wrestling is top tier but his striking is terrible. He flails punches and jabs with his fingers out if he is pressured at all. His counter striking is awful but his reach makes him look better in that area. His striking combos and composure are like watching a low level amateur boxing. Matt Hughes had better boxing skills.

Is this the most positive thing you've ever said about fighters?

I would have expected something "They should be thankful that Dana puts them into fights and they get paid fairly for that brain damage"

You either die as Greatest of All Time or fight long enough to become a can.

Back