Stock market is freaking out - something is going on

The same thing was said about a span of 10 years up until it wasn't true. The stock market is one area where what happened in the past has no bearing on what will happen in the future.

The stock market is about buying when the price is low and selling when the price is high. To do that you need people that will sell when the price is low and buy when the price is high.
Even if you take market crashes into account, the S&P 500 averaged around 9.5% growth rate annually in the past 90 years. While it is unpredictable, the trend is up overall. It will punish people who sell in a panic, and "day traders" who think they can beat passive investing.

I dont think one need or even should have a much money laying around before investing. I started with something like 50 a month and I dont think my monthly buys have ever exceeded 2k.
163.gif

I didn't have a significant enough nest egg to invest in much before the summer, at which point the Schiller P/E ratio was ridiculous (Schiller himself said this wasn't necessarily a canary in a coal mine, though), so I decided to wait.

True. Just throw in a small amount to get your feet wet. I have heard that advice from many professionals/professors. Starting small is probably preferred. It's a learning process. Like science. You test strategies and their outcomes and adjust. Find out what you are good at. I think you have a science background, that could give you an edge in certain stocks. Every good trader has some kind of edge. Some kind of style that can make them outperform. Find your edge.

I said this before, Trump was saying how tax cuts would be good for the market. But the market is at an all time high. It doesn't need help. Now it does. lol.

I got destroyed this past week. Lost all my gains. Barely breaking even. I'm not selling though. That would guarantee the losses. I am gonna try holding. Also, I am gonna take Mark Cuban's advice more. Keep a lot of money in cash. Basically any money I could afford to I threw in the market. Didn't save anything. This was savings. Cuz it was going up anyway. Cuban doesnt even pay attention the stock market except a few times a year. A time he calls the world series. Only time anything relevant is happening. Now is that time and I have no cash because I put it in stocks. And other guys are sitting on a load of cash in a buyer's market.
Haha, I'm psyched for how this presents opportunity. I'm throwing in another $40k into the market as we speak :) Time to make some money!

@Prokofievian and others. what I mean by trading edge. I will give an example. I know a guy in biotech. I can do all the research in the world on biotech and stages of drugs and blah blah blah. But I can never know how the industry actually works. What actually goes on and what it means. I refer to him for that. He has real world experience.

Jobs again:

quote-it-doesn-t-make-sense-to-hire-smart-people-and-tell-them-what-to-do-we-hire-smart-people-steve-jobs-106-7-0719.jpg

Haha, I'm psyched for how this presents opportunity. I'm throwing in another $40k into the market as we speak :) Time to make some money!

Somebody thinks it time to get money in. The market was trending down and was down 500 points at noon. It jumped back up but is again trending down.

Somebody thinks it time to get money in. The market was trending down and was down 500 points at noon. It jumped back up but is again trending down.
Yeah, I'm predicting that this will go on for at least another week. And it can take a few days for money from bank accounts to hit money market accounts, so it's not a huge rush.

holy fuck, just checked my phone. I am up nice. shit has changed. for now

@Prokofievian and others. what I mean by trading edge. I will give an example. I know a guy in biotech. I can do all the research in the world on biotech and stages of drugs and blah blah blah. But I can never know how the industry actually works. What actually goes on and what it means. I refer to him for that. He has real world experience.

Jobs again:

quote-it-doesn-t-make-sense-to-hire-smart-people-and-tell-them-what-to-do-we-hire-smart-people-steve-jobs-106-7-0719.jpg
He should have listened to his drs then

holy fuck, just checked my phone. I am up nice. shit has changed. for now
I recommend hunkering down. It's going to be a bump ride, but if you can swing it, now is the time to get in on something. I wouldn't be too risky at the moment because we don't know what this is yet. A correction can be 10-20%, and we are closer to 10. But if you go with the blue chip stocks that pay a dividend, now is a great time to throw a bunch of money into the game. When the markets return to their glory of about 2 weeks ago down the line, you will be richer for it.

Personally, I'm looking at throwing a ton of money at Apple and Visa. Buy and hold :)

everything is going green.

Disney

dis.jpg

Facebook

fb.jpg

Thor

tho.jpg

Baba:

baba.jpg

But Tesla is still down

It's strange. I thought the massive spending bill being pushed in the Senate yesterday would boost stock prices, but the market tanked today instead. Usually market goes up on the news of increased public spending, tax cuts and wage growth. They don't seem to be the case at the moment.
Deregulation will usually lead to short term gains, before crashing hard down the road. What's peculiar about this correction is that the effects of Trump's tax cuts and deregulation haven't manifest itself yet. I was thinking S&P 500 and Dow Jones have about 15% room to go up before losing steam, so I bought in heavily in some 3X leveraged ETFs (tech, healthcare and aerospace). My portfolio got smacked around like a midget in a professional wrassling ring in the past week.
Those sort of things really have the biggest impact if the market is struggling. Otherwise it's just gilding the lily and there won't be much. (Also, the stock market is anticipatory).

True. Just throw in a small amount to get your feet wet. I have heard that advice from many professionals/professors. Starting small is probably preferred. It's a learning process. Like science. You test strategies and their outcomes and adjust. Find out what you are good at. I think you have a science background, that could give you an edge in certain stocks. Every good trader has some kind of edge. Some kind of style that can make them outperform. Find your edge.

How I paid for my first year of university was buying up a bunch of resource stocks/funds after the 2008 GFC. Since they were trading for less than they were worth I basically printed money. Then I was in school for a long time, moved country a couple times (shit's expensive), so I was quite poor until recently. Now it's time to get back in the game.

Even if you take market crashes into account, the S&P 500 averaged around 9.5% growth rate annually in the past 90 years. While it is unpredictable, the trend is up overall. It will punish people who sell in a panic, and "day traders" who think they can beat passive investing.

Or the people who get unlucky and are at retirement age during a crash.

Does everyone realize this is what the stock market was doing, when the global economy almost completely crashed?

This week's total drop still didn't even meet the 10% to formally be classified as a "correction", so I'm not reading too much into this.

You don't honeslty think this is the bottom do you?

How about you just send me 20k of that, and save yourself the trouble.

Back