Stock market is freaking out - something is going on

What I don't get is how a stock like Netflix is trading where it is at. Even with the slight decline now it is trading something like at a multiple of 190 PE multiple and has a lot of debt. I have a co-worker who has made a ton off netflix and she doesn't know anything about investing. So I am bitter.

With Amazon Prime, HBO streaming, and Disney getting Fox content along with ESPN content and they plan to have their own streaming service, I see a lot of competition for streaming content and don't see people willing to pay for a lot of streaming services.

If I had any balls, I would short Netflix.
I wouldn't do that. At least not yet. Netflix isn't done.

Netflix is a growth stock. Growth stocks tend to defy gravity for a lot longer than you would expect. When they fall, they really, really fall. But you cannot predict a growth stock's future based on its current P/E ratio--because its price is a reflection of future earnings growth.

I would agree that Netflix is currently overvalued, but it's still growing faster than anyone expected. If you short it right now, you're going to get squeezed(assuming we didn't just enter a new bear market, in which case all bets are off). As the market is sinking well below its 50-day moving average, Netflix continues to find support at its 21-EMA even after an extended run. It's showing a lot of strength right now.

I'm actually waiting for the market volatility to subside so I can buy back into Netflix.

Last edited:
There is no reason youtube or facebook cannot act like a platform to what Netflix is doing now.

Netflix has a lot of debt and is PE is ridiculous even for a growth stock.

And with Disney getting into the market and Amazon Prime doing the same thing as Netflix for free and with HBO also doing the same thing.

I really don't get Netflix anywhere near the price it is at.

I went about 75% cash when the S&P went above 2800. The question now is where to re-enter the market.

I missed out and didn't invest new money last year because I waited for weakness.

To time the market you have to be right twice. It isn't easy to do.

time in market > timing the market

time in market > timing the market
I think you need both.
I can't hold a stock if I'm down 3-5% or more. Just can't do it. I need to buy at the right time. Once you have a profit, then yea, you should squeeze that profit for all it's worth by holding for an extended period of time.

But I'm always taken aback by people who refuse to sell a stock because they have a loss.

Does anyone else think it has been highly destructive to the middle class/poor to have interest rates so incredibly low for so long?

@Trotsky

Punishing regular savers for the inflated portfolios of the wealthy has always seemed a tad off.

Plz crash so i can buy and flip more real estate

All well and good, but if you follow this or not, there is a simple way to become modestly wealthy through the markets.

The real money is in what is boring.

Long term investments with solid returns that pay off over many, many years.

Savers? Who's that?

Me.

While I try to be charitable when there is money to spare, I am also very, very frugal.

A rare breed of something like an un-materialistic bohemian hipster who sticks to a monthly budget like honey to a peanut butter sandwich.

I believe it was Benjamin Franklin who said (to seriously paraphrase) "The (old) American Dream is that of a modest fortune built up piece by piece over a lifetime."

That philosophy will never let you down.

Although, not very realistic for (modern) Americans who want to get really rich and quick so they can buy jet skis and fast cars that can compensate for all varieties of things.

Money is and hopefully always will be a boring part of my life, which is honestly great.

Me.

While I try to be charitable when there is money to spare, I am also very, very frugal.

A rare breed of something like an un-materialistic bohemian hipster who sticks to a monthly budget like honey to a peanut butter sandwich.

I believe it was Benjamin Franklin who said (to seriously paraphrase) "The (old) American Dream is that of a modest fortune built up piece by piece over a lifetime."

How much you got in cash?

For suggesting I might be given that much credit I've just lost all respect for your posting.

<DCrying>

<Fedor23>

I was about to hand over my extensive collection of wing-toed shoes.

All joking aside.

Personally I feel that someone poor, rich, or otherwise who knows how to take care of their money does the opposite of "Keeping up with the Jones's"

Looking and acting middle class-ish is a good way to keep that money, dignity, and a sense of honor without having to sell out more than one should.

The Jews.

Seriously.

Must be that high IQ non-shithole uprbinging. If only we were all so privileged.

Personally I feel that someone poor, rich, or otherwise who knows how to take care of their money does the opposite of "Keeping up with the Jones's"

Living below one's means is prudent. Spending money to impress better come with some pussy attached. Otherwise...

<DisgustingHHH>

Me.

Although, not very realistic for (modern) Americans who want to get really rich and quick so they can buy jet skis and fast cars that can compensate for all varieties of things.

Money is and hopefully always will be a boring part of my life, which is honestly great.

I'm going to level with you....that sounds way the fuck better than what Ol' Benjamin has to say on the matter.

giphy.gif

I'm going to level with you....that sounds way the fuck better than what Ol' Benjamin has to say on the matter.

giphy.gif

Most Americans would agree with you.

Some get filthy rich in that pursuit, many more get heavily into debt while chasing stupid, stupid dreams.

I trust you will be part of category 1 and that your pile of Benjamin's will rise as high as the Empire State Building.

Most Americans would agree with you.

Some get filthy rich in that pursuit, many more get heavily into debt while chasing stupid, stupid dreams.

I trust you will be part of category 1 and that your pile of Benjamin's will rise as high as the Empire State Building.

I'm riding that bitcoin chariot straight to valhalla!

Any disruption is decades away. Private utilities invest infrastructure and return a set rate on that, cost of delivery, and operating expenses. It's statutory. Think 8-10%. Provided the utilities maintain their return with timely rate-case filings, it's a guaranteed profit. Even if people use less of it, the standby-charges will adjust to maintain that rate of return.

tl;dr: Regulated monopoly.
I agree and disagree. Regulated monopolies are nice but I do think disruption to the grid is a decade away not decades imho

Back