Stipe improvements since JDS 1 ?

The best Stipe couldn't finish the worst Francis

Little chance he does it now
Lol ‘the worst francis’ is the same francis we’ve in literally every single other fight he’s ever been in
I'm one of the biggest Stipe fans here and would literally spend an hour defending that guy on this site, but I don't know if Stipe is at his peak right now. Last time he really fought like the invincible Stipe we know, was in his very first fight against Cormier. In the second fight, I really couldn't tell because he was being uncharacteristically timid to avoid DC's dirty boxing. In the third fight, it was pretty clear in my eyes, his cardio is no longer what it used to be despite the weight loss and his punches are not as heavy as before. Sure, he showed more versatility in his moves but I'm not too sure if that Stipe could have defeated the prime JDS. On top of this, did anyone else feel like Stipe went a little light on DC after that eye poke? That's the impression I keep getting when I rewatch the fight. It was as if he purposefully didn't go relentless on his attack.
I don’t wanna totally discount your point, but I do think his timidity was at least somewhat strategic. DC is a really fast heavyweight and stipe was not willing to lose those last two fights for any reason. He did what he needed to win.

Stipe started to favor fighters with a higher mileage after that (and Struve) fight.

That was the last time Stipe fought an elite HW that wasn't completely past their prime and it was a very close fight and Stipe got knocked down and nearly KOd. For what its worth I thought he wont that fight but that fight showed us what happens when Stipe isn't fighting a senior citizen.

On top of this, did anyone else feel like Stipe went a little light on DC after that eye poke? That's the impression I keep getting when I rewatch the fight. It was as if he purposefully didn't go relentless on his attack.

Huh. I have wondered whether the reason he went to a lot of wall and stall in the last rounds was partly that. For sure there were benefits in rationing cardio and neutralizing DC's standup...but considering it was a punch from the clinch that KO'd him in the first match, you'd think Stipe would be more leery of it.

Lol ‘the worst francis’ is the same francis we’ve in literally every single other fight he’s ever been in

I don’t wanna totally discount your point, but I do think his timidity was at least somewhat strategic. DC is a really fast heavyweight and stipe was not willing to lose those last two fights for any reason. He did what he needed to win.
Francis was in terrible shape against Stipe and fought with a bad strategy.

Just look at his body in that fight vs any of his other fights, he was carrying 15+lbs of excess fat.

Stipe is the greatest, but he needs to retire soon. I see him losing to Ngannou, Blaydes or Gane if he stays to long. Ngannou rematch will be very dangerous for him

I'm one of the biggest Stipe fans here and would literally spend an hour defending that guy on this site, but I don't know if Stipe is at his peak right now. Last time he really fought like the invincible Stipe we know, was in his very first fight against Cormier. In the second fight, I really couldn't tell because he was being uncharacteristically timid to avoid DC's dirty boxing. In the third fight, it was pretty clear in my eyes, his cardio is no longer what it used to be despite the weight loss and his punches are not as heavy as before. Sure, he showed more versatility in his moves but I'm not too sure if that Stipe could have defeated the prime JDS. On top of this, did anyone else feel like Stipe went a little light on DC after that eye poke? That's the impression I keep getting when I rewatch the fight. It was as if he purposefully didn't go relentless on his attack.

I am partially agree with you :

Stipe was better by far in the rematch with DC :

First fight : He took a KO and fall inconscious after a dirty boxing punch

Second fight : Stipe was more durable than the first and chin ( and heart ) better ! He took 162 punches to the head and punishement for 3 round ! In the first fight, he wasn't able to take this punichement ! He took few punch who KO him the first

Francis was in terrible shape against Stipe and fought with a bad strategy.

Just look at his body in that fight vs any of his other fights, he was carrying 15+lbs of excess fat.
His foot was a ballown too?

JDS beat a prime Werdum, Cain, and Stipe. He deserves more credit than he gets.

Stipe is the greatest, but he needs to retire soon. I see him losing to Ngannou, Blaydes or Gane if he stays to long. Ngannou rematch will be very dangerous for him
Currently stipe beats these 3 guys in the same night !

Werdum was in the worst shape of his career against JDS. I agree the other two were in great form against JDS.
I am agree with Werdum, he was totally out of shape ! Stipe was in great form but not at his best or in his prime !

Prime and slightly past his prime JDS was a great fucking fighter. If Cain didn't exist, his run would have been lengthy.
Out of curiosity, when do you reckon he’d lose?

maybe I’m inflating him a bit too much, but pre-Cain JDS is one of the best HW ever. I love Stipe, and have no problem with people give him the UFC HW GOAT title, but prime JDS is better. Cain beat the life out of him. I can’t think of a better example of a Fighter that had a clear “before” and “after”.

The JDS that beat Cro Cop and Cain the first time could beat any HW ever. I don’t think he loses until USADA. I’d favor him over Ubereem too, but I wouldn’t touch that bet.

Back