Stiff and sore back after romanian deadlifts

Torak

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I had been doing romanian deadlifts with DBs for a while, max weight I used was 24 kg DB I think. Then I had 2 weeks layoff. On my leg day I did romanian deadlifts again but with a barbell this time (for the first time ever) and I did 40 kg in my max set for 10 reps. It didnt feel heavy but I felt my lower back working a lot and my harmstrings not as much as I wanted to. Opposite to DBs which help me to really focus on hamstrings and less on lower back.

Regardless of that. It was 2 days ago and my lower back is sore and stiff still. Its really hard to bend down or do anything where the lower back is stretched. I feel like an old man. I had some lower back issued several years ago but everything has been comletely fine in that regard, I just feel its sore now. But I just want to know your opinion and experience of you who do deadlifts often, if this is normal and when it will subside? Because I dont do deadlifts, last time I did them was 2 years ago.

If it's muscular pain, then it's just DOMS. A 2-week lay-off will do that, combined with the change in exercise. You'll most likely be fine in a couple of days, if not, see a doctor.

Yeah bro, its normal, the lower back takes ages to recover. Your change from DB to BB also has an effect, your body isnt used to it yet, just eat & rest and heal up, you'll be fine.

I hate lower back DOMS. When my quads/glutes/hammies are ready to go on heavy squats, the lumbar always takes an extra day or two, lowering my training frequency.

Does this happen after every single deadlift training? Or just now when Im getting used to it?

Just when you're getting used to the new stimulus- same as pretty much every other exercise in existence.

Also, it's likely you were staying more upright during the DB deadlifts, because the COG can stay pretty easily over your feet. The barbell moves the weight in front of you, which puts a little more pressure on your spine.

>does a new lift targeting the lower back
>worried that his lower back is now sore

welcome to lifting. now eat your way through that pain.

I would give my .02 but others have covered it. It's normal. Just stretch so it pulls blood into the muscles to help in recovery. I like to stretch in the sauna for awhile then ice it when I get home.

try doing some yoga type stretches after doing the lifts. I've recently been doing yoga after my heavy deadlifts and it has helped a lot with the DOMS.

Rather than stretching, try using some moderate volume & moderate intensity concentric/isometric training to increase blood flow to the local tissue.

Stretching although great for a temporary analgesic effect will not be as effective.

Also, post a form check video.

Is Normal, assuming it's DOMS...

Back