Steven Seagal Is For Real (DC Aikido Technique)

Hammurabi

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So ever since Steven Seagal took the MMA scene by storm by training both Anderson Silva and Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida, he's been a highly controversial figure to say the least. Not only is there video evidence on said training sessions, but both fighters have publicly thanked Master Seagal for giving them tips every now and then, no big deal, guys.

Now the important point to make here is that nobody is claiming Steven's is anyone's main coach or game planner, he simply gives out a few pointers to fighters he likes. Now of course, this being the promised land of the "Just Bleed" fans rather than actual martial artists, it was no surprise that the haters came out of the woodwork and started to hate on Master Seagal on force never seen before on the Sherdog forums, man.

That brings me to present day and the infamous training session between Seagal and DC. You see, guys, a lot of people were asking me whether Seagal is "for real" or not and while I refused to pen down any kind of response here on Sherdog forums, man, I must admit that I had a sly smile on my face when I heard the type of negative response Steven Seagal was having from the haters all around the Internet, guys. You see, I knew better and let me break it down for you guys because while Steven's out of shape these days and while he ain't the best dancer when it comes to my ethnic, traditional courting dance (from my mother's side), we've all seen the clip no big deal, he's still a GREAT teacher. He's got a way to convey complex techniques in a short amount of time while giving the fighters the confidence to try them out in a real life situation.

At the end of the day, DC pulling off an aikido technique, once thought to be impossible to perform against a real martial artist after only a very short training period makes it clear that Steven Seagal knows his stuff. And while the technique in question is very rudimentary aikido and DC is one hell of a grappler, what makes this whole throw impressive is the fact that DC pulled it off against the BEST POUND FOR POUND fighter in the WORLD. Think about that for a moment guys. Oh yeah, it's real.

Here's the technique discussed.
0oTJ2YV.gif

Last edited:
The great Hammurabi is back.

It's true

Aikido is a legitimate Martial Art

Who are we to judge or question a master of many decades under his 7th level black belt?

So ever since Steven Seagal took the MMA scene by storm by training both Anderson Silva and Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida, he's been a highly controversial figure to say the least. Not only is there video evidence on said training sessions, but both fighters have publicly thanked Master Seagal for giving them tips every now and then, no big deal, guys.

Now the important point to make here is that nobody is claiming Steven's is anyone's main coach or game planner, he simply gives out a few pointers to fighters he likes. Now of course, this being the promised land of the "Just Bleed" fans rather than actual martial artists, it was no surprise that the haters came out of the woodwork and started to hate on Master Seagal on force never seen before on the Sherdog forums, man.

That brings me to present day and the infamous training session between Seagal and DC. You see, guys, a lot of people were asking me whether Seagal is "for real" or not and while I refused to pen down any kind of response here on Sherdog forums, man, I must admit that I had a sly smile on my face when I heard the type of negative response Steven Seagal was having from the haters all around the Internet, guys. You see, I knew better and let me break it down for you guys because while Steven's out of shape these days and while he ain't the best dancer when it comes to my ethnic, traditional courting dance (from my mother's side), we've all seen the clip no big deal, he's still a GREAT teacher. He's got a way to convey complex techniques in a short amount of time while giving the fighters the confidence to try them out in a real life situation.

At the end of the day, DC pulling off an aikido technique, once thought to be impossible to perform against a real martial artist after only a very short training period makes it clear that Steven Seagal knows his stuff. And while the technique in question is very rudimentary aikido and DC is one hell of a grappler, what makes this whole throw impressive is the fact that DC pulled it off against the BEST POUND FOR POUND fighter in the WORLD. Think about that for a moment guys. Oh yeah, it's real.

Didn't read all of that. I take it you are just trolling. But were you not aware of the fact that Seagal said that if DC pulled off any of the moves he supposedly taught him, the fight would be over? So, what technique like that did DC pull off? Or really, what Aikido trick did he do and what did it even accomplish?

Armdrags are Aikido and were thought impossible to perform?

Ok, then.

Didn't read all of that. I take it you are just trolling. But were you not aware of the fact that Seagal said that if DC pulled off any of the moves he supposedly taught him, the fight would be over? So, what technique like that did DC pull off? Or really, what Aikido trick did he do and what did it even accomplish?

Oh I'm aware of it bro, but here's the deal about martial arts and this applies to most things. For example a head kick if done RIGHT, and connects properly should end the fight. Now that being said, there are variables in a real life martial arts situation and a head kick which connects does not end the fight 100% of the time, not even close.

Now what you're referring to is the UFC video where Seagal said that if DC pulls one of these techniques off correctly, the fights going to be over. Now obviously DC pulled off a rudimentary aikido technique and managed to throw Jon against the cage, it surely didn't end the fight. Well that's true, and I know DC didn't pull it off 100% technically correct, it just goes to speak volumes that he was even ABLE to pull the technique all together after such short training time with the Sensei.

why didn't DC punch Jones when he celebrated early before the end of the 5 th round

Oh I'm aware of it bro, but here's the deal about martial arts and this applies to most things. For example a head kick if done RIGHT, and connects properly should end the fight. Now that being said, there are variables in a real life martial arts situation and a head kick which connects does not end the fight 100% of the time, not even close.

Now what you're referring to is the UFC video where Seagal said that if DC pulls one of these techniques off correctly, the fights going to be over. Now obviously DC pulled off a rudimentary aikido technique and managed to throw Jon against the cage, it surely didn't end the fight. Well that's true, and I know DC didn't pull it off 100% technically correct, it just goes to speak volumes that he was even ABLE to pull the technique all together after such short training time with the Sensei.

So what was the technique, then? What is it intended to do and how would it ever end the fight if preformed correctly?

Armdrags are Aikido and were thought impossible to perform?

Ok, then.

That's what my buddy said when we watched the fight. But if a trained eye looks at it closely, and Wrestling is our national sport make no mistake about it, you can see that it's clearly a wrist manipulation aikido technique, which a wrestling arm drag is not. I hoped that helped, bro. Best regards.

So what was the technique, then? What is it intended to do and how would it ever end the fight if preformed correctly?

Oh definitely. In fact, Shinya Aokia has ended a fight with a very similar aikido technique which was performed from a very similar position.

You can see the clip right here, my man, around 2 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_718dOW09k

Ok we're done here.

Not here to argue with you, my man. Just showing you the facts, that's all, brother. Feel free to come to your own conclusions but don't let the hatred blind you, dude.

Hammurabi is right

If you pay attention to the finer details of the move DC performed on Jones

You can see a slight torsion force applied to the Radio-carpal joint

Thus initiating the profound Aikido wrist lock toss

That's what my buddy said when we watched the fight. But if a trained eye looks at it closely, and Wrestling is our national sport make no mistake about it, you can see that it's clearly a wrist manipulation aikido technique, which a wrestling arm drag is not. I hoped that helped, bro. Best regards.
Ok, you're trolling. The "trained eye" and all the "my man", "dude", "brother" and "bro" is a little too much.

Back