Stephen Thompson: Striking hard to the body is ok but not the head...

He speaks like a future champion who won't be going out because he lost his chin prematurely.

Imo he's spot on. Robbie has learned this lesson as well. Smarter, not harder. This is a sad truth about Andy (and other old school fighters like him), all those years of little headgear, hard sparring MIGHT seem effective, but probably has worse long term effects.

if by Andy you mean Anderson Silva then you are not making a good point.. He went till he was what 39 before getting KO'd and it was because he was clowning around.

I've said this for a long time… People look at the damage in ring and go 'Oh that's the fight that made his chin go"… No. The chin is much more likely to go in training. Take Anderson for example. He came up through chute box and then spent almost a decade sparring guys like Nog and JDS without head gear taking BOMBS in training. It's amazing that guys chin lasted nearly two decades before it started to go…

When someone eventually gets chinny in the ring [And they haven't proven to be chinny in the past] - Training and not the damage accumulated in the ring is the most likely culprit.

Yeah, if you watched Anderson's sparring vids he lets the other guy land big shots on him without head gear.

He's lucky he has a good chin and rarely gets hit because of his head movement .

I hated this guy for beating Whittaker in the fashion that he did but damn I'm finding it hard to hate him lately. He seems like a great character and I definitely agree and live by the same philosophy he preaches.

Yeah, if you watched Anderson's sparring vids he lets the other guy land big shots on him without head gear.

He's lucky he has a good chin and rarely gets hit because of his head movement .
There's something to be said about hard sparring - Just like all sports it does add a certain dimension of game day practice. I can see the argument for people countering Thompson: I.E: If you can't operate at game speed your timing may be off come fight time.

That being said: Obviously the head trauma can be significant. Sometimes there is very little way around it however. I'd love to get an insight into Mayweathers training because he has the best defence in the world and without doubt he would be an advocator of minimising head trauma in training.

if by Andy you mean Anderson Silva then you are not making a good point.. He went till he was what 39 before getting KO'd and it was because he was clowning around.
Het got dropped pretty bad in the rematch at least once before breaking his leg

There's something to be said about hard sparring - Just like all sports it does add a certain dimension of game day practice. I can see the argument for people countering Thompson: I.E: If you can't operate at game speed your timing may be off come fight time.

That being said: Obviously the head trauma can be significant. Sometimes there is very little way around it however. I'd love to get an insight into Mayweathers training because he has the best defence in the world and without doubt he would be an advocator of minimising head trauma in training.

Mayweather definitely doesn't do hard sparring and avoids shots to the head but you can't compare anyone to him.

Every other fighter isn't as lucky as Mayweather. He almost never gets hit because his defense is so good so he doesn't have to worry that much about taking big shots.

Also got dropped by Chael twice and wouldn't be surprised if he gets dropped if he stands and bangs with Vitor or Yoel.

Chael is underrated boxing.
And no shame, because everything and everyone gets dropped by the soldier of god.
Heck I wonder how the soldier of god do the daily choirs, can he fit in a airplane seat? Can he walk a lane in a supermarket without bumping into all kinds of things. How often does he accidentally break stuffs because he is to freakin strong?

Oh this was about Anderson...i think he should do fine against bisbing

The only reason it would cause more is if it allowed people to stay up to absorb more punishment. If your sparring so hard and intense that what I described becomes a factor, than your sparring excessively hard enough that you're going to be damaged no matter what and the fault is not in the equipment.

You take less surface damage. Less blood. People think they are protected. Officials think fighters are more protected. Fighters themselves fight longer than they would without them, leading to more damage.

Pretty simple concept.
Many studies have shown this, including the NSAC themselves.

Makes sense, Chute Boxe is a prime example.

Yeah, i don't know...

Sure, Wand's chin was gone after he ate the H-bomb, Shogun's chin seems to be on his way out as well, Anderson got knocked out (once)...

It is not a good comparison because they were actually pretty durable fighters in their primes (specially Shogun, who seemed to be able to eat any kind of shot and stay in the fight), we can't really say if they getting KO'ed was a sign of rough training, or simply a sign of age...

I have never been a proponent of 100% sparring. I usually construct sparring exercises that avoid such head trauma whilst still being effective as a tool for confidence, experience, and comfort (trading).

A very smart approach in my opinion. Punching people hard in the head during practice adds no value and shortens careers by doing unnecessary neurological damage. I think you can do a certain amount to train the chin indirectly like strengthening the shoulders, neck and jaw muscles thorough careful exercise. But concussive forces and anything that causes the head to snap or twist or change direction suddenly and forcefully is harmful. Work on skill, movement, strength and conditioning as well as psychological elements, not who can take the best beating or has the hardest head.

Failing chin is a myth, people get knocked out by getting hit.

The only reason it would cause more is if it allowed people to stay up to absorb more punishment. If your sparring so hard and intense that what I described becomes a factor, than your sparring excessively hard enough that you're going to be damaged no matter what and the fault is not in the equipment.

Not only this, but psychologically the two people sparring go harder because they believe they're protected, and they believe their opponent is protected. Someone gets hit a little too hard and gets pissed off, and it escalates from there. Unless the people sparring are friendly enough to communicate when someone is getting carried away.
But who wants to look like the puss in front of others, amarite?

Back