Steinborn Lift

southpawdude

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I recently bought my first olympic bar, weights, and bench(craigslist rules!). I haven't lifted free weights since high school but I have done some dumbbell work off and on and I have always had a pretty physical job. I am currently 5'-7 170lbs. I was planning to start the 2-day split in the FAQ today. However I don't have a squat rack or power cage yet so I was considering alternating between steinborn lifts and clean+front squat to replace squats for now.
First question is what constitutes one rep with the steinborn lift? Do I get the bar on my back and do one squat then unload the other side or do all 5 reps before the first unload? I have watched some videos of it but the ones I see they only do 1 rep so they are no help.
Also my 1 rep max on squat is 200lbs. (pathetic I know) so what would be a good weight to start steinborn lifts with? 30% less? I don't want to try too heavy at first and risk losing it since I have no rack. But I don't want to start too light either and feel like I am wasting time.
My goals are just to get stronger for now since there is no place close that I can train any type of MA(less than 1 hour away anyway).

Thanks for the input.

For the steinborn lift you get it on to your shoulders, do the squats and then get the bar off your shoulders. I'd recommend starting with something really light to get used to it first. Maybe stick to clean and squat for a few weeks but practice the steinborn lift with progressively higher weights until you feel comfortable with it.

Back