Stayingin shape with injury, need help

SeanHolland

Green Belt
Reaction score
I injured my knee about a week ago, and its been hell. Before this i trained every day, 2 or more hours. I would do an hour of boxing/kickboxing, followed by grappling/ju ijitsu. I lifted weights before these classes usually. However, now that i injured my knee, i can't do the kickboxingboxing or any other class(or i might make it worse). Now i still want to keep my cardio up. I can't run or bike (cuz that would just aggrevate the knee)
so now my question is how can i keep in shape. I still do weights (upperbody mostly)
I figured maybe swimming might be good. Is there anything else anyone here that has had a knee injury can think of to do, to keep cardio up, and stay in good physical shape?
I just don't want to sit on my ass here all day and lose all i worked so hard for, or end up like akebono, lol

anyways, please help me out here
thanks

Wow, lots of suggestions. Anyone have any help to offer here????????

thats a tough one man. Knee injuries really suck, cause you're soo limited. specially since you cant run.. if you can walk, i would suggest you walk as much as possible, or just find something that really makes you run out of breath.. If you have a good Girlfriends, tell her sex is now a part of your training.. lol. otherwise, jerk it constantly, switch hands so they get a good workout, and reamember to breathe. I saw about on here about High intensity Masturbation. I dunno if it works, but it cant hurt to try right? lol.

i honestly cant think of much more man.. sorry i couldnt be more help

Thanks for the help, lol, i'll try some sort of sex marathon. I'll find a girl and tell her i have to have 8 hours of non stop sex as part of my recovery, lol.

for now i'm just doing as many situps as possible, but would still like some more suggestions.

SeanHolland said:
Thanks for the help, lol, i'll try some sort of sex marathon. I'll find a girl and tell her i have to have 8 hours of non stop sex as part of my recovery, lol.

for now i'm just doing as many situps as possible, but would still like some more suggestions.

give some kind of sympathy story.. i dunno... girls are gullible enough.. at least in vegas anyway.

hahaha

Buy a wheel chair and get on a tread mill. Youll go back to bjj and have a grip from hell.

Swimming would be good or just treading water using only your arms. Also try one of those hand bike machines where you pedal with your arms. Also it is when you are injured and cant train properly focus on your diet and while you may lose a little of you strength if your diet is in check you wont get fat.

Swimming would be good with a knee injury.

Other than that, I would do upper body weights to replace my other activities until I could get back.

Lol, thanks for the suggestions. I am swimming every day now (i got a pool) and doing upperbody weights.

lol, and canadianfightclub, i haven't smoked dope in forever. I just thought that pic as my avatar was funny. I don't smoke weed anymore, cuz i trained so hard, and if u smoke too much dope, ur stamina goes to shit, never have enough motovation.. well, i'm sure u know how it is

but thank for suggestions everyone!!!

can you still go on an exercise bike or not? they dont put much strain on the knee so you might want to try that?

If you have a physical therapist for your knee, ask him where you can get a hand-bike. The physical therapy places have big, expensive ones, but I've seen smaller, less expensive ones that clamp to a table- or counter-top.

It sounds goofy, the idea of spinning little bike pedals with your hands, but if it gets the heart rate up and burns calories without making you use your knee, it's worth a shot.

Also, if you're doing weights, try to devise a circuit-training routine so that you're burning a lot of calories and keeping your heart-rate up.

edit: spelling

Back