starting out...

Miles969

White Belt
Reaction score
so im a skinny guy, about 5'11, totally out of shape and been smoking about a pack a day for the past 11 years.

after years of bitchin about how fit i was in high school (a lie), i decided id try out at an mma gym and failed miserably. i even ended up fuckin up my toe in the last few minutes of a grueling hour and a half workout by trying to take down a much bigger dude in this weird "pair up an wrastle" type thing the trainer did toward the end...

what i learned was basically, ive got the theory down pretty well when it comes to most aspects of mma, but my body is just so used to sitting and ingesting poison, it just cant cope with a real training regiment.

so my question is, how would i go about getting some basic conditioning, just enough to get me through a full mma workout (the smoking bit is no problem, i can quit - tried and tested haha spoken like a true addict, but yeah, thats not a problem)...

Quit smoking first. Nobody wants to roll with a smoker. Even if you are showered and minty, you almost certainly still smell of smoke to a non smoker.

Then just keep going back to class. The rest will follow. Don't wait to "get back in shape" before you start training mma. Train mma to get back in shape.

I think the most popular method for getting your cardio up is high intensity interval training. Heres a site with good routines. HIIT Workouts: 30 Second Training Intervals

Running, stationary bikes and ellipticals all work, as long as you feel like collapsing at the end.

Back