Starting BJJ today...

Dont be that guy who doesnt tap to armbars. I see too many noobs come in after watching ufc and/or training some begginer classes thinking they should actually be good and able to beat experienced people. Then they dont tap to armbars cause their ego gets in the way. I usually just got for chokes on fresh noobs like this. Or if I get an armbar from top I will just sit there for 10-20 seconds if they are still squiglling around lol I will just come right up and finish with mounted triangle and tell them casually they might want to tap early on those armbars.

They usually either

1) Stop showing up because they are not the BJ Penn prodigy they thought they were simply from watching MMA

2) Get injured eventually
ght

or hopefully

3) Get the message and tap hard and fast when its obvious they are cau

Be #3 :)

The place required a 1 year contract or something and my dad got po'd and walked out. Im going to Leo Dalla soon and see how they do there.

I dont know what Dalla does, but its pretty common (standard even) for places to have 1 year contracts, as BJJ has a big turn over. Talk your dad into the contract, you will be better off in the long run.

I dont know what Dalla does, but its pretty common (standard even) for places to have 1 year contracts, as BJJ has a big turn over. Talk your dad into the contract, you will be better off in the long run.

Most places I have seen at least in Canada dont have mandatory contracts. Usually you just save a bit of money if you sign up for the year compared to paying monthly. Maybe ask if you can work something out for month to month or a 3 month contract ect.

Personally I dont think I would ever join a gym if they had a mandatory 1 year plus contract unless maybe it was some crazy deal at a place like extreme couture or something. :icon_lol:

Heres the bad part.

I go in and the guy thought i was 19 I told him i wasnt so i called in my dad. The place required a 1 year contract or something and my dad got po'd and walked out. Im going to Leo Dalla soon and see how they do there.

That's unfortunate, based on the the other things you said, this seemed like a very good place to train considering there was a purple belt willing to "go easy on you" and give you different pointers. I would guess that is a result of an environment the instructor has worked hard to foster. Its not like that at a lot of schools.

tbone

Yea, but one of my friends just told me that he pays monthly because he plays football for the school and doesnt do JJ for a couple of months. I doubt I can convince my dad to go back there.

On the other hand I emailed Leo dalla and he said they took 6 months or 1 year deals, I emailed him asking if I could do three months.

Another thing about Leo Dalla is that he has 2 days a week for 100$, maybe I can convince my dad to do that since it wont really get in the way of my studies, I dont know if I could do those on the weekends though.

tap like it's going out of style
You are not following the advice you asked for. Dude, just tap. It's practice and no one wants to hurt you. If I get a noob who won't tap to an armbar I'm sure is locked in, I just roll my eyes and move to something else. Although I must confess that if the noob is a total spaz and/or a jerk I'll sometimes finish the armbar. Everyone taps eventually.

Your body will get use to the bumbs and bruises I know when I came back after a year of being out I hurt bad but got used to it after about 2 weeks. Main thing is don't get discouraged.

My suggestions.

1. Learn Basic BJJ principles
- Correct Posture
- Creating a Stable Base
- Breaking Someones posture
- Body position in guard(top/bottom), rear mount, full mount, side control

2. Go to class clean
- Shower
- Brush Teeth
- Clip Finger and Toe Nails

3. Check your ego at the door
- It's OK to tap. If you are in a sub and can't get out,TAP. No need to pass out or try and fight out of it and get injured.

4. Ask questions
- After you tap ask your partner the proper way to escape
- After you tap ask your partner what you did wrong to put yourself in the position to be submitted.

5. Conserve your energy.
- Try sprinting for 5 minutes, it doesn't work. You will maybe last 1 minute if you "spaz". The next 4 minutes of your roll will be hell and you won't learn much.

6. Get feedback
- When you are done rolling ask what did/did not do well. Make a note and work on those things next class

lol do not be the guy who doesn't tap when caught..nobody wants to hurt a beginner but it's frustrating when you have to really crank on someone's arm to get them just to tap

Back