Starting BJJ today...

TitansATB

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, I start BJJ in Yamasaki Academy in Springfield mall. Its closest to my home except for Leo dalla but I found out about Dalla just recently. Im 16 years old and have been watching some instructionals and done no other training except for football and grappling retards in my basement. Any advice? All I know is that Im in for a rough night.

just have fun and expect not to be able to move the next day

tap like it's going out of style

I'll tell you what I tell every BJJ noob:
1. Know that you don't know anything.
2. Know that you are going to feel like an idiot.
3. Do not be a spaz.
4. Stick with it. You do not want to be That Guy who shows up for a class with a bag full of all new gear and never comes back. We all make fun of That Guy.

You're going to get tapped a lot. My advice would be just to stick with it and train as much as possible.

Try to avoid using muscle and just focus on using whatever techniques you have been specifically taught. (even though at first that will be very few). Also, don't feel like you have to "win" sparing or "rolling" sessions. Just go for a little bit until you get submitted then ask your partner what they did or what you should do differently. Also, listen to everything the post above me said as well.

tbone

You gonna get raped.

lol:

you-gonna-get-raped.jpg

The main thing Im worried about is my cardio. My cardio is shit. I think after 17 minutes of rolling i will be dead. Only thing I can do from then on is lie there while getting mounted.

The main thing Im worried about is my cardio. My cardio is shit. I think after 17 minutes of rolling i will be dead. Only thing I can do from then on is lie there while getting mounted.

You're 16. You'll be fine.

I'm actually starting BJJ next week at "Fightscience". I'm pumped! I guess any advice you give the thread starter I'll have to take into consideration too

I think you're being optimistic. If they actually let you spar on your first day I'd say after 5 mins you'll be dead.

Most important advice... hygiene hygiene hygiene. Wipe your ass with a wet napkin, wear clean undies with a cup, brush your teeth, trim your claws.

Just relax, go in with an open mind, and focus on learning technique and you'll be fine.

actually something i wish someone had warned me about -- watch holding onto the gi with all your might

my first few classes my arms were shaking and i could barely move my fingers from holding my opponents' gi while rolling.

Well I just got back. Fucking awesome, I loved it. In the beginning they had us go through a bunch of running and warm up drills which pretty much got me winded. After that Neto told me to go practice some submissions with this brown belt and other guy. He showed me americana, RNC, and armbar. Then they start sparring and told me to watch for a little. Then I got paired with a purple belt who went really easy on me. He gave me pointers of how to keep from getting swept from top position. I tried an arm triangle from side mount that I learned from and instructional and realized i would not tap this guy. Then he got me in an armbar and slowly yanked it. I decided not to tap unless it really hurts. It never really hurt at the moment but i tapped because I couldnt get out. He complimented my arm flexibility but told me to be careful and tap when rolling with other, I just replied saying that he was cranking slowly so i wanted to see how much I could endure. Then I took a break and drank some water and was like wtf why does my elbow hurt. It felt better after a little while. Then I went against a Blue belt who went considerably harder. He swept me and threw me around and told me how to escape mount. Then he told me that he could tell that i kinda knew what I was doing. The guy who taught me submissions said I catch on quick.

Heres the bad part.

I go in and the guy thought i was 19 I told him i wasnt so i called in my dad. The place required a 1 year contract or something and my dad got po'd and walked out. Im going to Leo Dalla soon and see how they do there.

I decided not to tap unless it really hurts. It never really hurt at the moment but i tapped because I couldnt get out. He complimented my arm flexibility but told me to be careful and tap when rolling with other, I just replied saying that he was cranking slowly so i wanted to see how much I could endure. Then I took a break and drank some water and was like wtf why does my elbow hurt.

hmm. I believe with that mentality a few posts from now you will be asking about arm injuries.

Back