• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Starship Troopers(1997) vs Galaxy Quest (1999)

Which Film Do You Prefer?

• Total voters
I'm guessing totally lacking the anti fascism satire of the film as well?
I don't know, I only caught one episode over 20 years ago on the Sci Fi channel before going to school in the morning. They did at least have the cool mechs from the book.

I don't know, I only caught one episode over 20 years ago on the Sci Fi channel before going to school in the morning. They did at least have the cool mechs from the book.

Did it have a Nazi Doogie Hoswer though?

It's a fun movie in its own right but it completely misses the point of the book. The point of the book is to showcase an alternative to the political systems we had in the 20th century, it wasn't just about killing space bugs. It's also a demonstration of leadership in the military, how to delegate power and responsibilities, how to act as a soldier, a NCO and as an officer.
The director was some leftist who hated the book and openly talked about it.

I wonder if they could ever make a movie about Farnham's freehold.
Some leftist? It was Paul Voerhoeven. The same guy that did Robocop and Total Recall. His issue was he was Dutch and was a kid during WW2. it was kindof a fascist book so he went Robocop satire with it. So he is very famous director leftist.

Starship Troopers is the only movie I’ve ever walked out of. So put me down for Galaxy Quest.

“She’s not a fan. This is a termite!” Such an underrated line.

Some leftist? It was Paul Voerhoeven. The same guy that did Robocop and Total Recall. His issue was he was Dutch and was a kid during WW2. it was kindof a fascist book so he went Robocop satire with it. So he is very famous director leftist.

To be honest I think Verhoeven not having a place in Hollywood anymore was really a sign that it had lost its balls for subversive film making, a lot of his films like Robocop and Total Recall were actually made by non big studios like Orion and Carolco.

Really I think the difference is he makes films to challenge the audience not just to tell them how righteous they are. He loves to entertain as well but here I think he's basically using it to see how far he can get the audience to follow what he views as space facists, partly via jingoistic teenage action drama but also by allowing the political system to try and sell itself and to throw in things like almost total gender equality.

It's a fun movie in its own right but it completely misses the point of the book. The point of the book is to showcase an alternative to the political systems we had in the 20th century, it wasn't just about killing space bugs. It's also a demonstration of leadership in the military, how to delegate power and responsibilities, how to act as a soldier, a NCO and as an officer.
The director was some leftist who hated the book and openly talked about it.

I wonder if they could ever make a movie about Farnham's freehold.

Uhh, the overwhelming take from the director and history is that it understands the book and willfully satirizes the Hell out of it.

The book is heavily pro fascist, the film is a satirical action comedy that shits on fascism.

They didn't miss the point. They deliberately said fuck that point.

I prefer Starship Trooper out of those two. The scene where the guy gets shot in the head in the training exercise cracks me up. Shouting "medic" has turned into a joke that my friend group shouts if someone gets hurt.

I would recommend Verhoeven's more recent European films, there artier than his Hollywood work but still tend to have that desire to entertain plus they tend not to be that preachy.

Also Lesbian Nuns.

Never saw Galaxy Quest but liked Starship Troopers. It's like the move is so terrible it's good.

Oh,and I can’t choose between these films, both classics in their own right.

starship-troopers-shower.gif

yeah. One has tits the other doesnt.

Aside from taking place in Space I don't know why you would compare those two.

I like them both quite a bit. Starship Troopers is a classic and Galaxy Quest gets funnier everytime I watch it. I'd give the nod to Starship Troopers if I had to pick.

I believe that’s his modus operandi

Uhh, the overwhelming take from the director and history is that it understands the book and willfully satirizes the Hell out of it.

The book is heavily pro fascist, the film is a satirical action comedy that shits on fascism.

They didn't miss the point. They deliberately said fuck that point.
The book wasn't actually fascist. As in the system that was prevalent during WW2, not the slur. The proposed system would involve democratically elected leaders, voting wouldn't be based on race, nationality, sex or wealth, but you would need to serve a full time in the Earth's military so only people who choose to risk it on the frontline would have the rights to vote.
Rico's parents were wealthy but couldn't vote because they didn't have the courage to serve, preferring instead to invest their youth into making millions.
Actual fascism was a dictatorship, ethnically centered and despite the military overtones it was heavily influenced by big business (Junkers, Fiat etc).

Galaxy Quest is good movie an Starship Troopers is like a fun cheap looking Sci fi flick. Galaxy Quest by far

Back