STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
unless it's Thanos. In that case we just accept that there's this big dude who can beat up Hulk without any prior background.... & his whole crew of baddies just show up & do sh*t & we know nothing about them either.

It's my same argument with Snoke. We don't need to know every little thing.

It makes the movie no more valid nor invalid whether those background stories are told or not. They're bad ass & got power... nuff said.
Snoke would slap Thanos on the ass and tell him to make him a sandwich!!

*edit* oh I’m gonna love this

unless it's Thanos. In that case we just accept that there's this big dude who can beat up Hulk without any prior background.... & his whole crew of baddies just show up & do sh*t & we know nothing about them either.

It's my same argument with Snoke. We don't need to know every little thing.

It makes the movie no more valid nor invalid whether those background stories are told or not. They're bad ass & got power... nuff said. We know enough about the force to know how people get power & use it. You can let your imagination run just a little bit... & if that's too much of a hassle then look up Snoke on Wookieepedia.com Legends section & spend 10 minutes reading that.
I dont think you can really compare the two.

I bought the blue ray the day it came out for my kid thinking he would watch it again. He didn’t really like it in the theater but i thought he would want it.

We pop it in and 20 minutes in he tells me he wants to watch empire instead. Cool pop in Empire

Since then I have forced myself to rewatch it again a few times, and it still doesn’t do anything for me.

I know it can’t happen, but damn the redo would be welcome(and they would have to redo 9 also since it has to take place after the events in 8 there isn’t enough time to redo 8 and make 9 make sense now)
I was a diehard defender of TFA, and I was so hyped for TLJ. I don't get excited for a lot of stuff, so it was a real letdown for me. I was so confused the entire time, hoping it would somehow redeem itself by the end.

When people criticized TFA for being derivative, I said BUT LOOK AT ALL THESE NEW PLOT POINTS! Just wait for the sequel, then they're really going to expand on all of that and it's really going to be compelling. They had to play somewhat safe and rely on nostalgia for the first movie, after the prequels. But you'll see, they'll take more risks in the next movie! Might be the most disappointing sequel ever for me. Not only did it suck, it retroactively made the movie I DID enjoy suck too. Since on a rewatch now you know none of those plot points are going anywhere.

Snoke would regard those snapping fingers like castanets on a swarthy young gyrating lady!!!

giphy.gif

Do you know ..... "The Girl from Ipanema????"

Well I've certainly educated you on the fact that Snoke's backstory is completely irrelevant to the film.
I've heard your shit-tier justification and I don't agree with it.
you & the other handfull of people who didn't like TLJ who continue to haunt this place
There you are again downplaying the backlash against this movie. It's at least a 50/50 split between those who liked it and those who didn't, and that's being generous.
It's so obviously bullshit that it amazes me y'all wonder why I don't take you seriously sometimes.
The irony is almost too much to handle.

Fair enough, but doubtful anyone knows the whole story without reading the comics. I’m not arguing, Star Wars could’ve done better with certain story introductions.
I thought it felt ham-fisted, forced and cliche.

Would his story play in this new trilogy? I understand! Would the fans bitch on Palps if that story was played out in this day?
Hard to say. I wouldn't, personally. As a kid the Emperor just terrified me. We did get enough of a taste of backstory on Vader, that I was satisfied there. The Emperor, to me, was like a Satan analog. The ultimate corrupter, evil personified. With a character like that, it's really better not to show too much. Give him a human side and it detracts from his otherwordly presence. They show you the Emperor, and say THAT guy indoctrinated and enslaved Vader. Any Questions?

No, no sir. I can believe that. Just look at him

<6>

I never thought there was anything secret about it when he says he needs Solo alive, basically I’m here for you but my main employer has plans too
Yeah i always assumed he was in it until it was truly over, which meant more than just delivering Solo.

I was a diehard defender of TFA, and I was so hyped for TLJ. I don't get excited for a lot of stuff, so it was a real letdown for me. I was so confused the entire time, hoping it would somehow redeem itself by the end.

When people criticized TFA for being derivative, I said BUT LOOK AT ALL THESE NEW PLOT POINTS! Just wait for the sequel, then they're really going to expand on all of that and it's really going to be compelling. They had to play somewhat safe and rely on nostalgia for the first movie, after the prequels. But you'll see, they'll take more risks in the next movie! Might be the most disappointing sequel ever for me. Not only did it suck, it retroactively made the movie I DID enjoy suck too. Since on a rewatch now you know none of those plot points are going anywhere.
<{monica}>

Exactly

I always assumed he was working security for Jabba. Jabba doesn't seem at all surprised or intimidated when Luke shows up. I think he KNEW Han's friends would come for him sooner rather than later, and Fett was part of his contingency plan. It's left open to interpretation, but in a good way I think.
You're less cynical than I am. In my mind he was there as a toy advertisement.

I get that but the very mechanism that led people away from Jake Skywalker is the same that can bring them back. New information changes.

With the case of TLJ ardent fans felt the character diverged too greatly from what they were familiar with but new LUKE stories can and probably will, emerge. Probably without Mark Hamill, but putting casting aside from a moment, you can see that the evolution of a character never really stops. Even when no one's writing his story (at the mo) Luke has always existed beyond the films with the help of our toys and our childhood. It's entirely probably more LUKE will happen, giving increased value and meaning to the events we already know (and some dislike). STAR WARS isn't trying to purposely tank the character or the franchise by creating moments and dynamics fans didn't like; and it's frustrating to hear fans are taking changes as a personal affront.

My WOLVERINE origin story stops with Barry Windsor-Smith's glorious epic; plus Wolverine's origin timeline includes Larry Hama's ingenious device of the memory implant, which neatly avoids continuity issues. Or even facts.

Have you seen READY PLAYER ONE???
It's been downloaded, will probably watch it soon. Don't really know anything about it really, so it'll be a surprise.

I bought the blue ray the day it came out for my kid thinking he would watch it again. He didn’t really like it in the theater but i thought he would want it.

We pop it in and 20 minutes in he tells me he wants to watch empire instead. Cool pop in Empire

Since then I have forced myself to rewatch it again a few times, and it still doesn’t do anything for me.

I know it can’t happen, but damn the redo would be welcome(and they would have to redo 9 also since it has to take place after the events in 8 there isn’t enough time to redo 8 and make 9 make sense now)

Make some kind of signal if you're being held captive and you can't actually ask for help.

You're less cynical than I am. In my mind he was there as a toy advertisement.
Sure I can see that, but he felt like he had a purpose there. He didn't feel out of place to me. Now the way they killed him off.... blech. But everyone was happy to see the character come back.

Ok I’m actually jealous you met David Prowse! He’s the man! Did you see that documentary he has out about how’s he’s banned from SW conventions? That’s sad! Even about how the whole day when they’re doing the Vader mask release And security won’t let him on set
David Prowse got screwed hard on Return of the Jedi IMO. He was the man in the suit for all three films, while they were filming he WAS Vader. Yes James Earl Jones' voice is an essential part of the character, but when it was time to finally show Vader's face, why not just let it be Prowse? Why bring in another actor? No disrespect to Sebastian Shaw, be we already had a man in the suit, we didn't need a third man just to be the face of Vader IMO.

I don’t need or want Info from books to voice my opinion about what I did not like about the movies that’s the whole point most are trying to make.

Oh you didn’t like snoke not having any backstory in the Movie? Read the books NOOB! That’s not helping defend the shitty writing and plot direction in the movie at all.
Well, the story is only 2/3 told so I hope they give you what you need on film. I would like a Snoke backstory, but I don't need it. There's really not that much info in the behind the scenes stuff either except that it is spelled out that he was the one who rebuilt the remanents of the old empire... (which you can pretty much assume by the movies alone) and also that he is the dark force that Palpatine spoke about sensing in the dark regions. If you think that isn't spelled out enough in the movies enough for you to assume that... then you got the outer Canon, but all that stuff is pretty obvious.

If you're not happy with the way that information was implied... or if you're not satisfied that you now know that it's a "canon fact" by talking with us... then that's on you... & we may even learn more in the movies because there's a whole nother one coming.

You don't need every question answered in part 2 of a trilogy.

Since we don't have an Ep9 thread yet...

This looks interesting.

Back