STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
For this finale, would you rather JJ or Rian? I seriously think JJ will make a good movie, I could be wrong and flame me if it happens. They offered JJ the position that KK had and he flat out refused

JJ, at this point I would take Jar Jar binks himself to write and Direct the next film over Rian, there is almost nothing I liked about the direction he took with the film.

I did like the cinamatics of the film, the use of colors, the angles , the screen cuts etc.

I would actually be fine with Rian directing another SW film, as long as someone else wrote it , and he was not allowed to alter the story.

To me Star Wars is the ultimate example of less is more, and sometimes it's good to leave some plot elements shadowy.
That's the huge difficulty in finding a balance; earlier you said it would have been cooler had more backstory been added to certain characters. I don't blame anyone for wanting more, and good writing should be enough to make people want more without giving away too much or, even worse, requiring the fans to do further research. I get that complaint totally, but I think it's largely unfounded.

I’m also probably one of the few who likes Rebels more than the clone wars! Phenomenal series, great new characters. Maybe that’s why I like it. I love new stuff. I love the books, don’t have to wait a year for new stuff , I always have new stories on tap

I saw last jedi was on netflix with the quickness. Drunk as shit, i almost clicked on it. Almost..

Im a closet masochist.

You just said it 20 minutes ago. I'm going to stop conversing with you because there's something seriously wrong with you. Your obsessive replies are already a red flag, but forgetting what you said 20 minutes ago just seems a little too crazy for me. Bye.
Link or didn't happen

And ultimately, there's few things that can live up to your imagination. For me it's a rare and memorable moment when something does. The Kotor games do the same thing. They mention the Mandalorian conflict, how brutal and horrific it was, capped off by the jedi using a weapon of mass destruction. And then the game takes off from there and you have your own adventures, informed by that conflict without clumsily going through all of it in underwhelming flashbacks. It's a fine balancing act.

For every Godfather 2 and rise to prominence of Vito Corleone, it seems like there's a whole crap load of The Thing 2011, Terminator: Salvation and Carlito's Way: Rise to Power.

That's one opinion. There very well could be.

Yes, but everyone does not know that the New Republic still has a star fleet spread out across all its members. There are a lot of people who think blowing up those planets in TFA & then wiping out the rebels is a lock. There are also a lot of people who don't realize the First Order is much bigger than those 8 ships you saw following the Raddus. So you're welcome for my information telling you otherwise that you reduced to nothing in your response.
That's not obvious. The force was awakened in Rey. The only indication we've gotten so far about anyone else has been broom kid which your hater group seems so eager to talk sh*t about.

Well, you got a point there... but broom kid was essential to allow people to understand that. Now, we have to think about why they did that. Why did they make a point to show us that other people still have the force? This is the reason I speculate that there's going to be a gap in the timeline. I don't care either way.... I just presented a point of view that says they put broom kid in there for a reason... & if these casual force users aren't going to be trained.... then what's even the point of that scene. That's why I find it likely there's a time gap. It's just a theory.

All that cool stuff I outlined in my essay & you reduce it to that... please man... you gotta be trolling. Basically, I outlined an epic battle with examples of how the main characters might be involved & gave a couple of different scenarios based on whether or not there's a time gap... & you're saying oh, well that's obvious so it doesn't count. Lol... everything is obvious once I've pointed it all out.
I felt all those points were intact in the movie already, so why are we looking forward to finding that out?

They reach out to everyone hoping they will answer their call on time. It’s obvious this isn’t all of the resistance.

Just like when Alderaan was blown up, it wasn’t the end of the Rebal alliance.

Of course the first order was bigger than just what was there, when the Death Star was blown up in SW the Empire wasn’t gone.

They didn’t need to show us that others still had the ability to tie into the force besides Rey, Finn many assumed was being awakened also, and Rian decided to go a different route.

I’ve posted many times on all the foreshadowing I Saw in Finn to become a Jedi also, and maybe even possibly be stronger than Rey with training.

For me, and many others broom kid only was there to show as a teaser for Rians trilogy set in a different timeline.

Why though? The entire series has Force children, Clone wars, Rebels have entire arcs on destroying these kids before they become
Powerful. Hell even the comics.
Probably because people were thinking "not again."

That's the huge difficulty in finding a balance; earlier you said it would have been cooler had more backstory been added to certain characters. I don't blame anyone for wanting more, and good writing should be enough to make people want more without giving away too much or, even worse, requiring the fans to do further research. I get that complaint totally, but I think it's largely unfounded.
It's cool when there's more backstory, if that backstory is good. Which is of course subjective. When it's bad, it actually detracts from the original source material. Now when I watch the OT and they mention the Clone Wars, I think...

upload_2018-7-6_14-34-34.jpeg

That sense of wonder is gone because I got the answer, and it sucked. But you can't know until you try. It's like Wolverine. For decades he had no official origin, just a smattering of stories that could or could not be canon. Then, finally, they made an official wolverine origin story. And it really fucking sucked. At least I thought so, as did a lot of other fans. Of course some people thought it was great, I suppose. But for the people that hated it, the characters mystery was ruined in the worst possible way. And now when I reread classic wolverine stories and his mysterious origin comes up, I just think leave it alone guys. He's the illegitimate son of the fucking gardener. It's not something cool like you're thinking, leave that stone unturned.

images

Dude, I haven't been in here in a couple of weeks. The only reason I came in here is because someone tagged me & so I spent a little time going through the thread.
The thread got bumped with the fan made poster, you were in here shortly after to bitch about it like you do whenever someone expresses their distaste with the series.
I'm sorry if I ruffled y'allz hater club featherz leading up to Solo & made you haters look like a bunch of casuals but it had to be done... but I'm over it now. I've given the thread back to you... but that doesn't mean I won't stop in from time to time & kick you in the ass a bit for old times sake yeah?
That's your memory of the Solo thread? I seem to remember you desperately defending the abysmal box office performance, and making the bold claim that Star Wars isn't dying. Proving you know as little about how the box office works as you know about movies in general.

You're not over shit, and you haven't kicked anyone in the ass, all you've done is spun your wheels.

I saw last jedi was on netflix with the quickness. Drunk as shit, i almost clicked on it. Almost..

Im a closet masochist.
Didn't know it was on Netflix already......

<SelenaWow>

Sadly, I'm gonna have to rewatch it at some point after all of this discussion about it. Le sigh. Do not want.

the universe has gone the way of Marvel, you need to read a ton of shit to understand the whole story
That's not how the marvel films are though. The comics created the characters and have told stories for decades, the movies are adaptations of those characters and stories. You can watch all the movies and understand everything without reading a comic book or wikipedia.

Those movies weren't building on an already established continuity. We knew there was an evil tyrannical Empire that rules the galaxy. We knew there had been a conflict called the clone wars. We knew that there had been guardians of peace and order called Jedi that were wiped out. We knew a former Jedi had turned to evil and sided with the Empire. We knew that there had formally been a galactic senate which had just been disbanded near the start of the original film. The Emperor was the ruler of this Empire. We didn't need to know how exactly he got there or how everything got to be the way it was. An evil Empire needs an evil Emperor, it's as simple as that. He was even originally conceived of as an evil force user. When the first film was made the idea was that he was just a normal politician, albeit one in a supreme position of power. That's probably why they barely mention him in that film.

These new movies are supposed to be sequels. Somehow all the good that was done in the OT has been undone, there's a new evil Empire and a new evil Emperor. Normally it requires some explanation as to how exactly the state of the galaxy has been reset back to default. Then Last Jedi makes him the cause of Kylo Ren's corruption, and therefore Luke's uncharacteristic abandoning of all his family, friends and values, yet also kills him off with no additional information provided. It's lazy world building, and anticlimactic storytelling.
I really do understand why you think all that. I've been in these discussions long enough to see this before.... I just don't agree with it. Especially with another act we haven't even seen. All that info you gave me about the original trilogy wasn't explained in the first 2 movies.... & even if it was, it doesn't mean that this one has to. Fact is I never knew who the emperor was till 2 decades later... & I don't need to know who Snoke is neither.

That entire backstory is available to you in this trilogy as well.

It's obvious the First Order is the re-establishment of the previous empire... but in case people needed that spelled out for them, we got the canon outside the movie that explains it. Once you got that... then you got way more backstory than we ever had in the original trilogy. Not everyone needs all that spelled out. We never needed it with the emperor in the original series & we don't need it now.

The last part of what you said is your strongest statements... in that they brought down an iconic character with someone who wasn't described. I hope for your closure they describe that in the next movie... but I personally don't need it. I never needed to know the emperor & I don't need to know Snoke now for the same reasons.

Probably because people were thinking "not again."
Maybe! But it’s always been that way, look at all the kids anakin slayed! Kids with an affinity to the force are the whole story line, why complain now?

Didn't know it was on Netflix already......

<SelenaWow>

Sadly, I'm gonna have to rewatch it at some point after all of this discussion about it. Le sigh. Do not want.

I bought the blue ray the day it came out for my kid thinking he would watch it again. He didn’t really like it in the theater but i thought he would want it.

We pop it in and 20 minutes in he tells me he wants to watch empire instead. Cool pop in Empire

Since then I have forced myself to rewatch it again a few times, and it still doesn’t do anything for me.

I know it can’t happen, but damn the redo would be welcome(and they would have to redo 9 also since it has to take place after the events in 8 there isn’t enough time to redo 8 and make 9 make sense now)

For every Godfather 2 and rise to prominence of Vito Corleone, it seems like there's a whole crap load of The Thing 2011, Terminator: Salvation and Carlito's Way: Rise to Power.
It's so rare to follow up something awesome,with something that doesn't make you sad. That's why Aliens, T2, and ESB are some of my favorite movies ever. After all that time to sit around and speculate what if, they actually came out with something that exceeded expectations. So rare.

I'm a big gamer, my favorite hobby, and it's so rare when you see pics or footage of a game, and then that game comes out and actually matches the feel you thought it would have. I remember doing a lot of research into Fallout 3 before it came out, and thinking man if this plays like I'm imagining it, it's going to be amazing. Then I finally got my hands on the game and it was everything I hoped for and more. Actually bought a console just so I could play it. And when you replay,rewatch, or reread something that had that kind of effect on you, you get a small dose of that original feeling every time. You have to sift through a lot of crap to find something special, but it's quite the experience and the journey along the way is fun as well.

That's not how the marvel films are though. The comics created the characters and have told stories for decades, the movies are adaptations of those characters and stories. You can watch all the movies and understand everything without reading a comic book or wikipedia.
Fair enough, but doubtful anyone knows the whole story without reading the comics. I’m not arguing, Star Wars could’ve done better with certain story introductions.

unless it's Thanos. In that case we just accept that there's this big dude who can beat up Hulk without any prior background.... & his whole crew of baddies just show up & do sh*t & we know nothing about them either.

It's my same argument with Snoke. We don't need to know every little thing.

It makes the movie no more valid nor invalid whether those background stories are told or not. They're bad ass & got power... nuff said. We know enough about the force to know how people get power & use it. You can let your imagination run just a little bit... & if that's too much of a hassle then look up Snoke on Wookieepedia.com "Canon" section & spend 10 minutes reading that.

It's not something cool like you're thinking, leave that stone unturned.
I get that but the very mechanism that led people away from Jake Skywalker is the same that can bring them back. New information changes.

With the case of TLJ ardent fans felt the character diverged too greatly from what they were familiar with but new LUKE stories can and probably will, emerge. Probably without Mark Hamill, but putting casting aside from a moment, you can see that the evolution of a character never really stops. Even when no one's writing his story (at the mo) Luke has always existed beyond the films with the help of our toys and our childhood. It's entirely probably more LUKE will happen, giving increased value and meaning to the events we already know (and some dislike). STAR WARS isn't trying to purposely tank the character or the franchise by creating moments and dynamics fans didn't like; and it's frustrating to hear fans are taking changes as a personal affront.

My WOLVERINE origin story stops with Barry Windsor-Smith's glorious epic; plus Wolverine's origin timeline includes Larry Hama's ingenious device of the memory implant, which neatly avoids continuity issues. Or even facts.

I'm a big gamer, my favorite hobby
Have you seen READY PLAYER ONE???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back