• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Locked STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI v.3 (Dragonlord's Initial Review)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have already answered your point about the empire in the original trilogy upthread. The rebellion in the original trilogy was essentially all white, plus Lando and aliens. The fact that the rebels are now very diverse, and the empire isn't, is an obvious change, which alters the entire dynamic of TLJ compared to, say, the ESB.

If you don't see why making a sci-fi film about a coalition of diversity against an empire of evil white males might be a bit alienating to white males, then there is no point in discussing the issue with you.

Your attempts to deflect from the issue and make it about hair colour are petty.

swhildfeb10.jpg

See this? Came out in 1977. Quit fucking crying about in in 2017.

I had a night to sleep on it. It's fuckin terrible. Fuck you, Rian Johnson. Fuck you.

The people in charge of these movies need to go back to day 1 of film school and relearn tone. Tone. Fucking tone. Rogue One got it right. It tried to do too much with too many characters, but at least it knew wtf it was and wanted to be as a film. Thank you, Gareth Edwards.

I have no idea how this responds to what I have said.

It's been like this since 1977. You're griping about casting that goes back to 1977 yet adding to it a current silly social issue of "omgerd all white guys are evil!!!".

The Empire has been predominately white guys, some with Britishish accents, since 1977.

We're not even taking into account all the other baddies like the Hutts, bounty hunters, and the Sith in general, etc. which are aliens and whatever the fuck.

Not ALL baddies in Star Wars are white dudes, just so happens that the Empire pretty much is white dudes.

I'm sure black people don't want to be associated with the First Order anyway. They're a bunch of incompetent idiots. My God, this movie was bad on so many levels. There some cool scenes, but that's it.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but they really shouldn't have completely shut Lucas out. Sure, Lucas can no longer make a good movie to save his life, but at least he has vision. He can tell a story. Don't let him write it, direct it or even credit him with anything, but at least let him give input about the overall arch.

For the first time in my entire 39 year life, I don't give a fuck what happens next. It's not even that I'm mad. I just don't care. Fuck you, Rian Johnson.

Last edited:
It's been like this since 1977. You're griping about casting that goes back to 1977 yet adding to it a current silly social issue of "omgerd all white guys are evil!!!".

The Empire has been predominately white guys, some with Britishish accents, since 1977.

We're not even taking into account all the other baddies like the Hutts, bounty hunters, and the Sith in general, etc. which are aliens and whatever the fuck.

Not ALL baddies in Star Wars are white dudes, just so happens that the Empire pretty much is white dudes.

Right...but as I have pointed out before in this thread, the Rebellion was also all white (+ Lando) in the original trilogy. Because it was made in 1970s Hollywood. Which wasn't a particularly diverse place.

So why diversify the good guys, and leave the bad buys lily white in 2017?

Context matters. If I was Chinese, I wouldn't really complain about a Chinese movie, made in China, with Chinese protagonists and Chinese villains.

But I might sit up and take notice if, in the sequel, there was a rainbow coalition of good(tm) against the evil Chinese empire. Hell, I might even consider it a bit racist.

Major questions from first film.. who is Snoke? And what is Reys lineage.. So many YouTube videos out there with great theories and yet what did this director do?

Whacked Snoke.. Too shock people I guess? But at least give him some back story..Reminds me of Lost were they failed to tie up pretty much every major mystery..

And Rey? She's just some scavengers kid.. not a Skywalker.. Not related to Palpatine.. just a boring orphan basically

Also Luke was totally wasted but that's just my opinion..

ah ok i get it. so basically they took the setup from the last film, which set up a lot of mystery and likely big lineage to both the bad guy and the hero, and turns out it was just a bunch of nothing.

so i guess if you aren't a star wars person it may be a film that's fun to watch, but if you are a big fan and the lore and story arcs matter a lot to you the movie just took a shit in your cereal basically.

Last edited by a moderator:
I literally got a job at the movie theatre simply to watch episode 1 early. I saw it, and came back and waited in line to see it again.

I have seen every star wars movie opening day or pre-release going back to the special editions.... I was mad at myself for not doing that with this one, but afterwards I'm glad I didn't. I KNOW a bunch of morons would give a standing ovation and I'd lose my shit, to the effect of "Did I go into a coma and see a different movie than the rest of you?"

I had a night to sleep on it. It's fuckin terrible. Fuck you, Rian Johnson. Fuck you.

Agreed.

And thank you for contributing an opinion on the enjoyment or lack thereof, instead of these other guys race baiting.

Gave the movie a 6, which I almost gave it a 5.

Thoughts are probably all disjointed and shit as I'm still kinda processing the movie.

Good:
-Leia in space. It was visually cool.

-Thought more of Kylo Ren after this and actually enjoyed the character in this movie. Wish he didn't trash his helmet but I get that was part of his whole "forget the past" mantra that became stronger as the movie progressed. With how how he almost begged Rey to join him I'm thinking he's got a thing for her after Snoke mindcuffed them together?

-Luke Skywalker for the most part.

-Yoda showing up in OG puppet form.

-Hyperdrive destruction.

-Poe and his squad just need their own movie at this point.

-Salty, red sand planet was bad ass. Wish we got just a little more there.

-The caretaker fish people cracked me up pretty good.

General:
-Rey's okay. I don't particularly like how quick she is at wielding the Force but I mean, sometimes when someone is good at something the sky's the limit. At least they showed her practicing swinging her stick around to give the impression this is something she does in her spare time. The character in all I'm just kinda meh about though. Disney would have scored massive points if they had the balls to have Ren cut her down when he had the opportunity. Would have been huge and I'm sure the theaters would have exploded.

-Rose actress. Swapping actresses based on their looks is silly. Whatever reason they decided the character was needed, the gal they cast did just fine. However Poe could have filled in for the Rose character just fine and could have created some cooler scenes while they were in Las Vegas, considering him and Finn are bros. Why they featured some mechanic/space doc worker so much?

-I don't think I like the idea of Kylo Ren being the big bad, as it seems like he is in charge of things now.

Bad:
-The bomber girl on the last bomber ship getting that button at the last possible second.

-Leia in space. Have we ever seen her do anything like this with the Force?

-The convenient "safe" planet out of fucking no where after purple hair is tight lipped with the survival plan. Because of purple hair's unwillingness to discuss the survival plan, Finn and Rose go on a wild goose chase on a stupid fucking planet to save horse dogs while looking for a guy. Don't even get me started on how Finn and Rose get back to the Rebel fleet after their little adventure to Las Vegas and everything is as they basically left it.

-The whole Las Vegas planet storyline was so shoehorned in and served little to no purpose other than a Benicio Del Toro cameo as a throw away character that only really points out to Finn that the moneybags gambling on that planet sold weapons to both sides. I mean, what a fucking stupid plotline.

-The Porgs. While okay at first they became a nuisance.

-The crystal foxes on the convenient planet with an abandoned rebel base. So these things are pretty trusting of people, especially "good guys" I take it. I mean, they had no issue running into the base with the peeps and seeking shelter from the First Order. Oh wait, we needed bread crumbs to help the Rebels get out the back and for the Falcon to find them.

-Rose, newfound hero of the Rebels, saver of Finn, pilot of janky sand ships outta nowhere.

-Chewbacca, the co-co-co-star.

-Snoke: <FookIsThatGuy> HOW IN THE HELL CAN YOU SEE REN'S INTENTIONS AND THOUGHTS BUT ONLY WHAT ONE HAND IS DOING? WHAT THE FUCK. HOW POWERFUL WAS THIS GUY SUPPOSED TO BE?

-Phasma: <FookIsThatGuy>

-Luke Skywalker, potential nephew killer and force ghost. Luke killing Ben Solo seems so fucking out of character that the scriptwriter just really wanted to tarnish Luke. Don't like how Luke went out either.

-All the dumb fucking animals. If you didn't need to know who the bad guys were, just pay attention to whom the animals are yelling at, being whipped by, or running from.

-Rey's scene after being pulled into the darkside butthole water cave was borderline pointless.

-As other's have pointed out, it seems the third movie will be the same people being outclassed by the same people yet again. Again.

May add more stuff whenever as it comes.

I do find it a bit amusing that

Kenobi goes into exile on awful desert planet Tatooine. Yoda goes into exile on even shittier swamp planet Dagobah. Luke goes into exile to vacation-getaway-lush-green hills-island complete with plenty of food and drink and caretakers who maintain the grounds and beauty.

I do find it a bit amusing that

Kenobi goes into exile on awful desert planet Tatooine. Yoda goes into exile on even shittier swamp planet Dagobah. Luke goes into exile to vacation-getaway-lush-green hills-island complete with plenty of food and drink and caretakers who maintain the grounds and beauty.

Obi Wan didn't really have a say in the matter. Only place he could go, seeing as how that's where Luke was.

Mad props to Luke for breaking the cycle and saying "Fuck all backwards ass sand planets, I'm moving to planet Seattle".

Obi Wan didn't really have a say in the matter. Only place he could go, seeing as how that's where Luke was.

Mad props to Luke for breaking the cycle and saying "Fuck all backwards ass sand planets, I'm moving to planet Seattle".

Yup. He was depressed and waiting to die but he was doing it in style. If I'm going to be in hiding, I might as well be in a scenic place...

Phasma is like the new Boba Fett: look cool for two movies, but ultimately a total can.

Except boba felt was the linchpin in empire who outsmarted both the empire and Han Solo leading to the capture of Solo and crew.

Fett's role in empire was extremely important. Captain Phasma had none of that to speak of

So...

Where the fuck are the Knights of Ren? Luke said it was basically a mutiny and some of his students left with Kylo. Seems like they would be some heavy hitters and come in handy. Unlike the squad of red troopers Snoke had with him.

I feel like people are getting a bit ahead of themselves. This movie was somewhat lackluster. It wasn't garbage or the worst thing ever. It sure as hell was still much better than the first two prequels and imo also the 3rd. I feel like it's about on par with Jedi.

The audience score from Rotten Tomatoes is getting thrown left and right but it's a meaningless stat. Online ratings are self-selecting polls. People are flocking to RT to downvote this film into oblivion and the people who feel it was fine aren't doing anything. If online pollls were a reliable way to gauge the perception of the public, Ron Paul would be President and the national anthem would've been changed to the Harlem Shake.

I would advise folks to check out https://www.cinemascore.com/. People in general, and not just those pesky movie critics who are literally Hitler, thought this film was good.

I feel like people are getting a bit ahead of themselves. This movie was somewhat lackluster. It wasn't garbage or the worst thing ever. It sure as hell was still much better than the first two prequels and imo also the 3rd. I feel like it's about on par with Jedi.

The audience score from Rotten Tomatoes is getting thrown left and right but it's a meaningless stat. Online ratings are self-selecting polls. People are flocking to RT to downvote this film into oblivion and the people who feel it was fine aren't doing anything. If online pollls were a reliable way to gauge the perception of the public, Ron Paul would be President and the national anthem would've been changed to the Harlem Shake.

I would advise folks to check out https://www.cinemascore.com/. People in general, and not just those pesky movie critics who are literally Hitler, thought this film was good.

I have forgotten more about star wars and the EU than people who would call themselves hardcore fans even know about it... the movie was hot garbage, and I'd go into great detail why but don't want to spoil anything.

Except boba felt was the linchpin in empire who outsmarted both the empire and Han Solo leading to the capture of Solo and crew.

Fett's role in empire was extremely important. Captain Phasma had none of that to speak of

Only to end up ingloriously swallowed whole by a giant vagina. If that happened today fanboys would have a total meltdown.

The OT is not perfect peeps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back