STAR WARS: EPISODE IX (Rumored Title: BALANCE OF THE FORCE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Daisy Ridley is your source?

200.gif

You realize she's an unknown who would not be privy to insider meetings.

...and it says... "in the early stages"... so in other words.... the people who are really in control gave him full freedom before they started adjusting things. I get it... let the creative guy make his own assesment. Doesn't mean it didn't go through the whole process. Also doesn't mean they didn't have an arc in mind & did or didn't adjust it to his creative input.

Here's a nice quote from your article "Ridley herself doesn’t sound entirely sure if this is how it all transpired"

Why are you bothering me with this?

Regardless of the freedom they gave the writers, they had an arc in mind & whether or not Daisy knew about it... there was an arc. Do you really think there wasn't? They got a think tank of the best Star Wars minds.... & they're going to say "f*ck all this lets just let him figure it all out & we'll go with that."

Now I'll give you that he was a part of that think tank... but IN NO WAY WAS HE THE ONE MAKING THE DECISIONS.

... and who the fook is writing this article anyway. Most of this is his fluff filling in the blanks.

Are you being deliberately stupid? My post literally has quotes from the guy who directed the goddamn movie.

Even so, I'd take Dailey Ridley as a better source than the absolutely nothing you provided.

Im Probably one of the biggest Star Wars fans on this website. I gave the movie a GOOD rating when I first saw it but since I've seen it 2 more times I've dropped my score.

The movie had so many parts that were great ideas but it all unfolded so terribly. It was also filmed beautifully and used great colors. It was visually stunning

I 100% believe they should've taken this trilogy a compeltely different direction. Han Solo now a general in the fleet. Luke and his students. Leia as the politician and leader of the party. And Chewie R2 and C3P0 doing what they always do as ultra important supporting characters.

This idea that Luke was just taking the steam away from everyone else leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. Oh no Luke was too awesome so we ruined his character instead

Last edited:
Are you being deliberately stupid? My post literally has quotes from the guy who directed the goddamn movie.

Even so, I'd take Dailey Ridley as a better source than the absolutely nothing you provided.
No need for name calling. I saw the boxes below where you quoted stuff from the article out of my peripheral & my sherbrain identified it as you quoting someone else when in fact you had put the quotes from the article into a box.

I clicked your first link thinking that was the only thing you had presented to me & I read that... & responded without reading the rest due to thinking that was you quoting someone else in the same post. Sorry about that. Upon review, I see the whole post was in response to me. That's my bad on that, but I don't think the other article completely disproves Disney didn't have a direction or that they didn't cut up Rian's initial ideas. He only speaks about what he was given at the start of the process.

I'm interested in this & spent entirely too much time studying it this morning... lol... so I'd like to open up a civil conversation about it if you are interested.

The first link you provided me only quotes Daisy... & she said this:

Daisy - "I believe there was some sort of general consensus on the main lines of the trilogy, but apart from that, every director writes and realizes his film in his own way."

Which actually supports the idea that disney did have an overall direction.

Now to dig into what Rian said (which would certainly be more valid information than one of the actors) He does say that he was only given the script to Ep 7 to work with... when he set out to write it. However a higher authority... Kathleen Kennedy said that her teem had a direction in mind.

Here's a quote from Lucas film president Kathleen Kennedy. (About half way through the article.) (this quote is also on TFA & TLJ's wikipedia page as well)

“We haven’t mapped out every single detail yet,” she said of the plots for the three sequels. “But obviously everybody’s talking to one other and working together … that collaboration is going to guarantee that everybody’s got a say in how we move forward with this.”

They clearly have an outline for the trilogy... (per the first statement) & it's clearly not in Rian's hands alone. The wikipedia page for Ep 7 (under "development") speaks mostly about how Lucas came to them with ideas about the whole trilogy right from the start before any movies were made. They were denied... but it's a shout out that the top brass sat down & had meetings on where the trilogy would go. Ep. 7 was no doubt fully controlled & guided by this think tank.

I find it realistic to think that in August 2014 (when Rian signed on for TLJ) they could have told Rian to give them a first draft & to let his mind wander & be free. However, in no way did those ideas get through Kathleen's committee without approval... & there's no telling how much of it was tweeked after that in order to match Disney's overall direction. According to her own words here (well over a year since Rian signed on)... they had a plan. they didn't have "every single detail..." but everyone is talking to everyone & working together on how they move forward.

Here's another quote from your article.

"Filmmaking, of course, is a collaborative process, however, meaning Johnson brought his concepts to the table"

That quote is very clearly saying that he wrote out his concepts & then other input was given. That's what happens at "the table".

I wasn't able to find any information about how much of Ep.8 was the orginal ideas of Rian & how much got altered... but in the article you presented... Rian is only saying what he was given from the beginning of his involvement. he doesn't explain how much got altered after his initial ideas.

I still find it pretty unrealistic that at least some key points of Kathleen's committee were not shared with Rian at the start... but that's just me. Who knows though... maybe they gave him a clean slate to work with just to see what he would come up with... & then maybe Kathleen & crew's ideas were trumped when Rian created his story. maybe they liked that direction better. That's totally possible. What we do know for sure though... is that Lucas Film had ideas going in... & whatever Rian came up with, had to be approved by that committee.

It seems the heart of the question is how much of Rian's original ideas got altered by the committee & how much were all him.

@One MMA Fan @EvilDDS

Last edited:
As a non-Star Wars guy, The Last Jedi was my favorite one. It's the only one that I'm going to go out of my way to rewatch.

Soviet Union produced a lot of great cinema.
No, comparatively, it really didn't, but the fact that you conflate everything that came out of the "Soviet Union" with "Pro-Communist" demonstrates your severe misapprehension of my post.

No need for name calling. I saw the boxes below where you quoted stuff from the article out of my peripheral & my sherbrain identified it as you quoting someone else when in fact you had put the quotes from the article into a box.

I clicked your first link thinking that was the only thing you had presented to me & I read that... & responded without reading the rest due to thinking that was you quoting someone else in the same post. Sorry about that. Upon review, I see the whole post was in response to me. That's my bad on that, but I don't think the other article completely disproves Disney didn't have a direction or that they didn't cut up Rian's initial ideas. He only speaks about what he was given at the start of the process.

I'm interested in this & spent entirely too much time studying it this morning... lol... so I'd like to open up a civil conversation about it if you are interested.

Daisy - "I believe there was some sort of general consensus on the main lines of the trilogy, but apart from that, every director writes and realizes his film in his own way."

Now to dig into what Rian said (which would certainly be more valid information than one of the actors) He does say that he was only given the script to Ep 7 to work with... when he set out to write it. However a higher authority... Kathleen Kennedy said that her teem had a direction in mind.

Here's a quote from Lucas film president Kathleen Kennedy. (About half way through the article.) (this quote is also on TFA & TLJ's wikipedia page as well)

“We haven’t mapped out every single detail yet,” she said of the plots for the three sequels. “But obviously everybody’s talking to one other and working together … that collaboration is going to guarantee that everybody’s got a say in how we move forward with this.”

They clearly have an outline for the trilogy... & it's clearly not in Rian's hands alone. The wikipedia page for Ep 7 (under "development") speaks mostly about how Lucas came to them with ideas about the whole trilogy right from the start before any movies were made. They were denied... but it's a shout out that the top brass sat down & had meetings on where the trilogy would go. Ep. 7 was no doubt fully controlled & guided by this think tank.

I find it realistic to think that in August 2014 (when Rian signed on for TLJ) they could have told Rian to give them a first draft & to let his mind wander & be free. However, in no way did those ideas get through Kathleen's committee without approval... & there's no telling how much of it was tweeked after that in order to match Disney's overall direction. According to her own words here (well over a year since Rian signed on)... they had a plan. they didn't have "every single detail..." but everyone is talking to everyone & working together on how they move forward.

"Filmmaking, of course, is a collaborative process, however, meaning Johnson brought his concepts to the table"

That quote is very clearly saying that he wrote out his concepts & then other input was given. That's what happens at "the table".

I wasn't able to find any information about how much of Ep.8 was the orginal ideas of Rian & how much got altered... but in the article you presented... Rian is only saying what he was given from the beginning of his involvement. he doesn't explain how much got altered after his initial ideas.

I still find it pretty unrealistic that at least some key points of Kathleen's committee were not shared with Rian at the start... but that's just me. Who knows though... maybe they gave him a clean slate to work with just to see what he would come up with... & then maybe Kathleen & crew's ideas were trumped when Rian created his story. maybe they liked that direction better. That's totally possible. What we do know for sure though... is that Lucas Film had ideas going in... & whatever Rian came up with, had to be approved by that committee.

It seems the heart of the question is how much of Rian's original ideas got altered by the committee & how much were all him.

@One MMA Fan @EvilDDS

If your point is that they had ideas, I'd agree completely. But as to whether or not they had everything mapped out, all signs point to that not being the case. If I had to wager a guess, they had a bunch of brainstorming sessions and had all sorts of things the picked out instead of one specific thing they had decided was going to happen.

Enter Rian Johnson.

It's obvious Abrams left a lot of points to jump from. It's also, to me, seemingly obvious that Johnson made a conscious decision to basically burn every one of those points to the ground. Which I could understand if he had left us with anything. That's the problem. He went in and said "Fuck all this shit", removed them all but then replaced them with nothing.

I don't think Rian Johnson had complete creative control over all the decisions. However, I do think he was instrumental in giving us what we got, and if for instance Abrams had done Episode XII we would have had a profoundly different movie on all levels.

I mean, just take the tidbit that they had to change the ending of Force Awakens because of Rians script. Initially Luke was going to be levitating a bunch of boulders when Rey found him. But they had to edit that out because Johnsons decided he cut himself off from the force.

Last edited:

They clearly have an outline for the trilogy... & it's clearly not in Rian's hands alone. The wikipedia page for Ep 7 (under "development") speaks mostly about how Lucas came to them with ideas about the whole trilogy right from the start before any movies were made. They were denied... but it's a shout out that the top brass sat down & had meetings on where the trilogy would go. Ep. 7 was no doubt fully controlled & guided by this think tank.

@One MMA Fan @EvilDDS
Hey bud, haven’t looked too much into it but google Kiri Hart, she’s the head of the LucasFilm Story Group, and was put in charge of the direction that Star Wars was taken. Her group was responsible for creating Ahsoka, who everyone seems to love, and many want a live action storyline with her now.
And then of course Pablo Hidalgo too, but I think he’s more a continuity guy, trying to ensure all the new stories and ideas have a flow between all others. That job must be hard with all the books, comics, cartoons and new series coming out

But I believe it’s Kiri and that group who sit down and discuss the ideas of where they want to go, plant their seeds and hope the writers come back with decent stories

Edit ooops my bad, Good ol Georgie created Ahsoka, Hart just fought hard to keep her stories going, along with Filoni

Last edited:
If your point is that they had ideas, I'd agree completely. But as to whether or not they had everything mapped out, all signs point to that not being the case.
It's some pretty strong language when the president of Lucas Film says "“We haven’t mapped out every single detail yet,”

You're saying "all indications"... is a stretch when the president not only says " we haven't mapped out every detail"... but goes further to say " every single detail." I think you underestimate that statement. That clearly says they have a plan. Not every single detail though.

If I had to wager a guess, they had a bunch of brainstorming sessions and had all sorts of things the picked out instead of one specific thing they had decided was going to happen.
No doubt, I would imagine they had several ideas for where it could go... & probably each thread was developed extensively. This isn't some rag tag think tank. They're working with the biggest commodity in film, & so they didn't just lay scraps on the table undeveloped. I would think they extensively followed every path they came up with as far as they could take it in order to determine the best direction to take the trilogy.

It's obvious Abrams left a lot of points to jump from. It's also, to me, seemingly obvious that Johnson conscious decision to basically burn every one of those points to the ground. Which I could understand if he had left us with anything. That's the problem. He went in and said "Fuck all this shit", removed them all but then replaced them with nothing.
Haha... yeah, TFA waz jam packed with speculative jewels for us to ponder. In TLJ there's not as much speculative stuff... with Snoke & Luke being killed... the First Order's flagship being cut in half & a lot of their Battle Cruiser's being damaged... but the First Order has 30 Battle cruisers & can continue operations... & the rebellion is far from the only military force the new Republic has. There's a lot to talk about.

The people on the Falcon at the end of TLJ were the only one's left of the rebels. The reality of the rebels though is that the New Republic underestimated the strength of the First Order... so they were unprepared & unwilling to stand against them. Leia helped the Rebels fight outside of the authorization of the New Republic because they were failing to see the threat. So the point is that the New Republic still has a vast Military & now that the First Order's strength & intentions are clear... the entire strength of the New Republic will be authorized to stand against them.

But the New Republic's capital planet was destroyed.

Yes, that's a fact... but it's also a fact that Mon Motha (the head of the New Republic) refused to have a central military in fear that another Palpatine could gain control of it. So they devised a military system in which every member of the New Republic would each have their own individual military... & they would be dispatched based on the need of the New Republic. So in other wordz... Destroying the capitol of the new Republic did not destroy the military of the New Republic. It was actually designed so that couldn't happen. The military is spread all over the Galaxy.

the trick is going to be communications. The Capitol planet was the communications hub of the New Republic. That's why I think the First Order needs to strike hard & heavy now. If years go by before ep 9... then they will be able to re-establish their communications & be able to rally their troops easier.

This is a bit off topic though. I'm just saying that there's still a lot to discuss. All that... plus Rey got the Jedi books. Luke's a force ghost etc....

I don't think Rian Johnson had complete creative control over all the decisions. However, I do think he was instrumental in giving us what we got
Yeah, for sure he's instrumental. I just got curious into figuring out exactly how much... after you showed me that quote. That quote & the people who wrote the article seem to lean on the idea that Rian locked himself in a cave & came out with a script & just started shooting.

I came across something that lets us know Rian didn't just lock himself away & come up with his story on his own.

Check out this link I found below

Hey bud, haven’t looked too much into it but google Kiri Hart, she’s the head of the LucasFilm Story Group,

Good looking out. An article about her (2nd paragraph from the end) revealed an interesting tidbit about the "Lucas Story Group's" involvement in Rian's writing process for TLJ:

"While writing “The Last Jedi,” the writer-director Rian Johnson moved to San Francisco, spending three months working closely with the story group to develop ideas for the film."

My man actually packed everything up & moved his living space for 3 months in order to collab with the Lucas Story Group while writing TLJ. The quote obviously doesn't go into detail about the story group's involvement regarding who came up with which ideas... but it does lean considerably in favor of Rian being subjected to their thoughts & influence regarding how Rian wrote the Movie. I would personally speculate that they threw in their 2 cents regarding their ideal direction at the time as well.

@One MMA Fan

Last edited:
Good looking out. An article about her (2nd paragraph from the end) revealed an interesting tidbit about the "Lucas Story Group's" involvement in Rian's writing process for TLJ:

"While writing “The Last Jedi,” the writer-director Rian Johnson moved to San Francisco, spending three months working closely with the story group to develop ideas for the film."

My man actually packed everything up & moved his living space for 3 months in order to collab with the Lucas Story Group while writing TLJ. The quote obviously doesn't go into detail about the story group's involvement regarding who came up with which ideas... but it does lean considerably in favor of Rian being subjected to their thoughts & influence regarding how Rian wrote the Movie. I would personally speculate that they threw in their 2 cents regarding their ideal direction at the time as well.

@One MMA Fan
Yeah, I know she's involved with all the stories. Saw this quote too, from another article

But virtually no one outside the San Francisco office of Lucasfilmknows Kiri Hart. The previously low-profile screenwriter and development executive’s title is vice president of development, but in practice she’s the overseer of every piece of “Star Wars” content produced by Disney and the person who identifies the writers and directors who create it. That includes the annual movies and television series like “Star Wars Rebels,” which debuts Friday on the Disney Channel.

https://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/10/02/meet-disneys-star-wars-maestro-kiri-hart/

No, comparatively, it really didn't, but the fact that you conflate everything that came out of the "Soviet Union" with "Pro-Communist" demonstrates your severe misapprehension of my post.
No you just made a shit post lol keep moving the goal posts though

Say what you will about JJ Abrams, but the dude is loyal to his friends...

Keri Russell is headed to a galaxy far, far away.

Sources tell Variety that the “Felicity” alum is in early talks to join J.J. Abrams’ “Star Wars: Episode IX,” which Abrams is writing and directing. Russell and Abrams last collaborated on 2006’s “Mission: Impossible III.”

The role calls for action-heavy fight scenes. Russell has shown her ability to perform tough stunts in projects like FX’s “The Americans,” “Mission: Impossible,” and “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.”

Abrams and Lucasfilm execs met with several actresses for the role in the past two months and settled on Russell right before the Fourth of July holiday. Abrams will likely cast two more actors by the time the film begins production at the end of the month. Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, and Adam Driver are all expected to return.

[- - -]

It’s unknown at this time whether Russell will be on the side of the rebels or the evil empire.

OK, so this gives me hope that Rachel Nichols might pop up in the movie. ;)

Twitter speculation says she's going to be Rey's mom.

But another source says the role will be 'action heavy,' which leads me to lean toward she's Mara Jade.

Rian Johnson can go straight to hell.

That's all I have to say about about.

Update: July 9, 2018

Billy Dee Williams to Return as Lando Calrissian in STAR WARS: EPISODE IX

Billy Dee Williams is returning to a galaxy far, far away. The actor, who famously played the galactic gambler Lando Calrissian, will reprise the role for Star Wars: Episode IX, the next Star Wars installment from Lucasfilm.

Chatter about Williams joining the production, which begins later this summer, increased in recent days when the actor bowed out of an upcoming sci-fi and pop culture convention citing a conflict with a movie schedule. Sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter that Williams will indeed be returning to the Star Wars big screen for the first time since 1983’s Return of the Jedi. The character made his suave debut in Empire Strikes Back.

Williams has in recent years returned to the role that fuels his appearances on the convention circuit, voicing Calrissian in various cartoon series and video games.

The character is one of the more popular personages in the Star Wars universe and appeared in a major way in this year’s Solo: A Star Wars Story. Donald Glover slipped on the cape to play a younger Calrissian.

Episode IX is being directed by J.J. Abrams and will reunite Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac and Adam Driver, among others. Keri Russell is one of the new additions to the cast. The film opens Dec. 20, 2019.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...iams-returning-as-lando-calrissian-xi-1125818

Update: July 9, 2018

Billy Dee Williams to Return as Lando Calrissian in STAR WARS: EPISODE IX

Billy Dee Williams is returning to a galaxy far, far away. The actor, who famously played the galactic gambler Lando Calrissian, will reprise the role for Star Wars: Episode IX, the next Star Wars installment from Lucasfilm.

Chatter about Williams joining the production, which begins later this summer, increased in recent days when the actor bowed out of an upcoming sci-fi and pop culture convention citing a conflict with a movie schedule. Sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter that Williams will indeed be returning to the Star Wars big screen for the first time since 1983’s Return of the Jedi. The character made his suave debut in Empire Strikes Back.

Williams has in recent years returned to the role that fuels his appearances on the convention circuit, voicing Calrissian in various cartoon series and video games.

The character is one of the more popular personages in the Star Wars universe and appeared in a major way in this year’s Solo: A Star Wars Story. Donald Glover slipped on the cape to play a younger Calrissian.

Episode IX is being directed by J.J. Abrams and will reunite Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac and Adam Driver, among others. Keri Russell is one of the new additions to the cast. The film opens Dec. 20, 2019.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...iams-returning-as-lando-calrissian-xi-1125818

It breaks my heart to say it, but TLJ was such a pile of shit, even The Dee himself might not be enough for me to see this in a cinema.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back