Star sweep...

It WAS in gi. And the video that was posted was how I was shown it, basically. I wasn't shown to pass the sleeve to the under-hooking hand though. That would definitely shut down the crucifix.

Lechien: Holding the knee in that position - at least when uke drops to their knees - is perfect position for a crucifix. If you stop the above video at about 19 seconds in or so, and imagine uke (or whatever the fuck YOU guys call the guy who is having the technique applied to them) on his knees instead of standing, I think it's easy to imagine. If they remained standing, I think you're right, but he instantly dropped when I started to roll.
I'll try passing the sleeve next time. Still interested to hear thoughts on it though.

But you are supposed to control Uke ankle and have his knee in your armpit to stop him from kneeling. that is the foundation of the techniques, if he knees, that mean you are grabing his knee/calf instead of his ankle.

But you are supposed to control Uke ankle and have his knee in your armpit to stop him from kneeling. that is the foundation of the techniques, if he knees, that mean you are grabing his knee/calf instead of his ankle.

That very well might be true... but in my original post you'll see that I said he dropped to his knees as I was in the process of rolling, and thus the question. You can't START the technique with control of the knee using your armpit. Uke has a ton of time and freedom to move until you are all the way over. Yes, you can have control of the ankle, but the ankle control alone doesn't prevent them from kneeling.

Not sure how high a % this would be....

looks like it could shred your knee if you just flopped over the back like he does at :34sec, if the guy had a strong grip and you leaned wrong, goodbye ____ (insert mcl/lcl/acl here).

That very well might be true... but in my original post you'll see that I said he dropped to his knees as I was in the process of rolling, and thus the question. You can't START the technique with control of the knee using your armpit. Uke has a ton of time and freedom to move until you are all the way over. Yes, you can have control of the ankle, but the ankle control alone doesn't prevent them from kneeling.

If he can drop on his knees, then you are doing it wrong.

It is the same ankle control as the inverted knee bar from the same start position.

There is no way Uke can drop on his knee while you are doing inverted knee bar.

If Uke drops to his knee before you can control his ankle, then I switch the an omoplata sweep by feeding his left sleeve to my right hand to avoid the crucifix.

If he can drop on his knees, then you are doing it wrong.

It is the same ankle control as the inverted knee bar from the same start position.

There is no way Uke can drop on his knee while you are doing inverted knee bar.

If Uke drops to his knee before you can control his ankle, then I switch the an omoplata sweep by feeding his left sleeve to my right hand to avoid the crucifix.

Well, sorry, we'll just have to disagree about whether or not you can prevent uke from kneeling with just ankle control. In theory? Maybe. In reality? I don't see it. MAYBE is I was somehow able to control the entire foot to keep it from twisting at all... but in the way that is showed in the videos and the way I was shown it? No.

do that one wrong you're fucked, lol.

cool though

you have to keep the ankle really tight into your armpit and drive into the side of his shin with your lat.

my troubles always used to be dropping my hip as i swung around. as long as you do it fairly quick your good, you cant hang there too long.

Back