Star sweep...

Darkslide632

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So, generally speaking, I play a very basic guard game. A couple weeks ago one of my Judo students started teaching BJJ one night a week at my school, and last week he taught the star sweep. Tonight at Judo class I pulled it off on him, but damn near got caught in a crucifix in the process. He was standing to begin with, but dropped to his knees as I was swinging around. Is there something I'm missing? Or a way to avoid the crucifix? Seems as though I threw myself right into it.

Whats the star sweep?

Whats the star sweep?

I've heard the name, but I am not sure what the star sweep is either.

edit...I just Youtubed it. Ari Bolden was demonstrating it...

Was this gi or no gi?

In gi, I always underhook the leg and get the sleeve. I push or pass the wrist to the other hand. When I backroll, I have his leg and arm. No crucifix for him..(Uke)

Last edited:
I think you need to hold his ankle tight and his knee inside your armpit as well. if done properly, I do not see how he could counter by crucifix. as he would ankle and knee are locked in.

The crucifix counter to that is actually pretty cool. I just can't link to it cuz I haven't figured out this iPad yet. See my first post.

Edit - I think I fixed it.

Last edited:
I've seen Cobrinha pull that off a couple of times with the gi

It WAS in gi. And the video that was posted was how I was shown it, basically. I wasn't shown to pass the sleeve to the under-hooking hand though. That would definitely shut down the crucifix.

Lechien: Holding the knee in that position - at least when uke drops to their knees - is perfect position for a crucifix. If you stop the above video at about 19 seconds in or so, and imagine uke (or whatever the fuck YOU guys call the guy who is having the technique applied to them) on his knees instead of standing, I think it's easy to imagine. If they remained standing, I think you're right, but he instantly dropped when I started to roll.

I'll try passing the sleeve next time. Still interested to hear thoughts on it though.

We call it the "sergeant sweep". I've never been caught in a crucifix. You want land parallel to the uke (heads both facing the same direction), before leaning backwards to complete the sweep. A common problem is landing perpendicular (heads facing different directions), where all sorts of things can go wrong.

You should not be getting crucifixed because your arm is wrapped in reverse fashion around the leg.

Don't quite know how to explain that, but a crucifix is easy to hit when he has a single leg grip from that position. With that "reverse" single leg grip, he could conceivably try to keep your arm with his leg, but it would be a weak and weird control.

Is my video link not working? The control is fine. The guy doing the crucifix may want to adjust his leg position but it is not necessary.

Don't quite know how to explain that, but a crucifix is easy to hit when he has a single leg grip from that position. With that "reverse" single leg grip, he could conceivably try to keep your arm with his leg, but it would be a weak and weird control.

exactly. You only have to shoot your leg through and hook the arm and then reach behind and grab the other arm.

I think this sweep is a lot harder with the gi just b/c they can control your leg when you try to swing around and come to all fours.

It WAS in gi. And the video that was posted was how I was shown it, basically. I wasn't shown to pass the sleeve to the under-hooking hand though. That would definitely shut down the crucifix.

Lechien: Holding the knee in that position - at least when uke drops to their knees - is perfect position for a crucifix. If you stop the above video at about 19 seconds in or so, and imagine uke (or whatever the fuck YOU guys call the guy who is having the technique applied to them) on his knees instead of standing, I think it's easy to imagine. If they remained standing, I think you're right, but he instantly dropped when I started to roll.

I'll try passing the sleeve next time. Still interested to hear thoughts on it though.

I start in guard with a cross sleeve grip. Once Uke lift lifts the grip side leg I underhook and usually go for an omoplata sweep. When Uke shifts his momentum back to avoid the sweep, I pass Uki's sleeve to my underhooked arm and back roll over my near shoulder.

****side bar****I think we jiu jitsu guys should use the word, "Uke". It just makes sense. It's better than, "the guy" or "your partner."

Wow had know idea that that was called a star sweep, but i 'guessin if you're getting caught in a crucifix it's because he's sprawling and you're rolling wide on your back shoulder. For this sweep to work you need to close up your roll and make sure you roll over your should and not your back. Even then, it's not fool proof. If you loose it, just snake and move back to guard.

When you roll over, just keep your left arm (if your right arm is around his leg) tight to your body so he can't hook it with his arm.

You should not be getting crucifixed because your arm is wrapped in reverse fashion around the leg.

I know exactly what you mean. Keeping them from being able to rotate their heel to the outside and/or forward would be key, I guess. If they're able to do that, they basically turn themselves into the "single" type position, and thus into position for the crucifix. By falling to his knees, he limited my ability to keep him from doing that. I was still able to complete the sweep by pulling his supporting foot like in the "old school" sweep, but I was definitely an ass-hair from getting caught.

Back