Standing one arm neck grab

Cardio

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
How would you counter this situation using grappling/bjj?

Someone with a height and reach advantage - big hands and a strong grip extends one arm out and grabs you by the throat. You cannot immediately break his grip. Please give an effect defense or counter-attack.

there are a million counters ou there for this, though i cant remember any.
"kick him in the nuts" comes to mind

Good answer! Somebody give me more counters to this

Cardio said:
How would you counter this situation using grappling/bjj?

Someone with a height and reach advantage - big hands and a strong grip extends one arm out and grabs you by the throat. You cannot immediately break his grip. Please give an effect defense or counter-attack.
Any of 4 million or so finger locks, wrist locks and arm locks, although to be honest I'd probably just kick him in the groin.

But if you want to look cool you can always do flying armbars.

OK someone give me one of the 10231221 counters to this please, especially one I can learn fairly early (dont know the flying armbar yet).

From the way you describe the situation I assume you're looking for a self defence application, rather than something that would be allowed in competition.

If so then just grab his little finger on the hand with which he's choking you and bend it backwards until he lets go.

lol, who is trying to choke you like this.

If he is choking you with his left hand, strike the left hand at the wrist while grabbing it at the same time, gripping at the wrist, and pushing towards your right. This will hopefully of balance him, at the same time he is moving toward his left, strike him in the face with your right elbow.

or

Again he is grabbing you with his left hand. Grab his wrist with both your hands. Bring your left elbow up over his extended arm, trying to get his elbow in your armpit. Turn your body to your right, bringing him (hopefully) downward. Push forward with your chest and down with your elbow while pulling back with your arms (hands still on his wrist). This is a modified elbow lock that will probably not work, but at least you have broken his posture.

or

kick him in the nuts.

IF you are wondering whyI posted this in the grappling section then the situation is:

No-striking, but Horsing around with a friend with huge hand. Provided no strikes, then what can you do to quickly defend against this situation.

JUDO or SAMBO MUST have some good counters to this, but guys (or girls) take into consideration that::

HIS hand is almost completely around your neck and the grip is very hard to break (lol) What can you do in this situation.

Cardio said:
JUDO or SAMBO MUST have some good counters to this.
Most judo people I know don't really train self defence, but Sombo, in some gyms, has a fair bit of standing locking work I would also recommend Kali and if anyone wants a book on the subject I recommend "analysis of shaolin chin na" by Dr. Yang jwing-ming.

It's just this isn't really a grappling move. There are some counters, like the one I explained, and small joint manipulations like the finger, other then that, maybe you have a flying armbar (which I don't think is practical for your situation).

They really have no control over you other then the fact that they have their hand on your neck. Their wrist should be in the position where their thumb is towards the sky (armbar). You can grab their wrist with both hands and turn it towards the side their knuckles are facing, thus semi locking out the wrist; pulling down and towards you (some Steven Segal shit), thus putting pressure on the wrist.

You are not going to finish from there though, you are really just breaking his posture.

Assuming that the aggressor is chocking you with his right hand, do the following:
1) Arc your left arm in a couter-clockwise direction, around his wrist/forearm. This should trap his wrist or foream in your armpit. Grap your left wrist with your right hand to make sure that you keep his arm trapped.
2) Immeadiatly turn to your right so that you are standing sideways to your opponent.
3) Hook your left leg arcoss his waist (Do it hard in a real life situation). If you have his arm trapped correctly, you should now basically be applying a standing armbar (Your forcing his elbow the opposite direction and holding his hips back with your leg). If for whatever reason the standing armbar is not locked right, you are still in a great position for a hip throw style of takedown.

Just be careful training this movement because it is possible to break your parter's arm before they realy have time to tap if it is does too forcefully. Obviously in an actual self-defense situation, thats not a problem.

How about kicking their knee? Striking the eyes? Hitting them in the floating ribs or under the armpit? Uppercut their tricep?

If you can break the grip, turn, tuck and seionage!

Kick to the nuts a split second before I applied Waki Gatame.

Like a strangle? Can't you just pull back. Sounds like he's strong arming against the neck.

If his fingers can get around your neck you should prolly lose this guy.

My judo instructor also teaches self defense. I saw him teaching this technique to a group of people before class:

Attacker grabs your throat with his right hand (reverse if it's left hand). You swing your left arm & make a large, forceful clockwise circle motion (like a swimming stroke) & impact his wrist/hand with your upper arm- while turning to your right. You will easily break his grip & force his arm down to waist level. The instructor was teaching them to keep turning all the way thru & run the opposite direction. But you could easily turn slightly back to square & follow up with strikes or another technique. It's surprising how easily it is to break even a very strong grip doing this. It also works on a 2 handed throat grab, use either arm.

There is another method in Renzo & Royler Gracie's BJJ Theory & Technique book. They show it as a defense to a 2 handed front choke, but works even better with a 1 hand grab.

1- Drop your level by bending at the knees (not at the waist), & at the same time tuck your head straight so it's between the attacker's arms.
2- Slightly push into attacker, this forces him to keep his elbows locked to keep you away.
3- Now bend forward at the waist with your head going straight down between his arms.
4- Then at the same time, step back with your right foot & swing your head back to the right to break out of the hold.

Dont feel like explaining the move...but look up arm drag online. thats a good technique as he is reaching for you. its even better if you can get him rushing in a little..Like if he is reaching towards you, you back pedal a foot or two...as his arm gets in range...boom arm drag..if you do it right you can get his back ...

slip the hand and go for a suplex or if it's his right hand, use your left and twist it off for a hammerlock or whatever you prefer.

My judo instructor also teaches self defense. I saw him teaching this technique to a group of people before class:

Attacker grabs your throat with his right hand (reverse if it's left hand). You swing your left arm & make a large, forceful clockwise circle motion (like a swimming stroke) & impact his wrist/hand with your upper arm- while turning to your right. You will easily break his grip & force his arm down to waist level. The instructor was teaching them to keep turning all the way thru & run the opposite direction. But you could easily turn slightly back to square & follow up with strikes or another technique. It's surprising how easily it is to break even a very strong grip doing this. It also works on a 2 handed throat grab, use either arm.

Ladies and Gents, I think we have a winner.

Back