standing 8 count

The more that folks disagree with me by taking the opposite stance, the more it further convinces me that I must be the ONLY one who's RIGHT!

Look at Pride. No standing 8 count, no 10 count either when a guy was knocked down.
Instead the opponent runs over and attempts to kick the downed man in the head!

Amazing how instinct and self-preservation made that downed man MOVE out of the way of the incoming soccer kick on many occasions. Brutal when he didn't get out of the way.

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."- Muhammad Ali.

The more that folks disagree with me by taking the opposite stance, the more it further convinces me that I must be the ONLY one who's RIGHT!

Look at Pride. No standing 8 count, no 10 count either when a guy was knocked down.
Instead the opponent runs over and attempts to kick the downed man in the head!

Amazing how instinct and self-preservation made that downed man MOVE out of the way of the incoming soccer kick on many occasions. Brutal when he didn't get out of the way.

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."- Muhammad Ali.

Gah *shakes head* you're better than this man. Much better.

From what I've read since I came back here, no he's not.

Oh ho, Boxing Without Bull$#!t's chiming in. :)

You just still have your little pink panties in a bunch there, harmonica, because I spanked you not too long ago over your mayweather's "TWICE the fighter Marvin ever was" bull$#!t and also spanked you on your complete and total avoidance of the "mayweather avoidance list" of 19 top fighters that I put to you.
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f53/rank-heavies-747956/index3.html
Don't try excuses like your illness with me.
I dunno know how sick you are, tam-tam, but you got your @$$ whupped.

spankingxx5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Play, harmonica. Play so you can't bull$#!t...only watch those false notes...

i don't think the neutral corner rule alone is enough...i mean isn't that why we have refs...to check over the fighter if he can continue and if he can't well that's the refs call.

It takes a hungry man looking for a KO a second to get across that ring and if you're unable to properly defend yourself and that fighter happenens to be a serious puncher and he gets a couple of clean shots on you your brain is gonna get rattled pretty hard.

I would actually be interested in a study on this. I wonder if the Standing 8 count really is good for the Boxers safety.

I mean is it? I think letting someone recover for those 8 seconds only has them obsorb more punishment. Seems like the body is about to shut down for its own safety and you only kick-start it with an 8 count.

So if the standing 8 count never existed we could maybe have had...

-Marquez TKO Vazquez in RD 4 of their 3rd Fight.
-Taylor beating Pavlik in their 1st fight RD 2.
-And Sonny Banks beating Cassius Clay in the First ROUND!

So if the standing 8 count never existed we could maybe have had...

-Marquez TKO Vazquez in RD 4 of their 3rd Fight.
-Taylor beating Pavlik in their 1st fight RD 2.
-And Sonny Banks beating Cassius Clay in the First ROUND!

And you could have had boring drawn out fights end alot earlier in spetacular KO's.

under the unified rules of boxing there is no standing 8, as seen in any championship fight and higher profile bouts. It is more so something made for amateur boxing rather than professional.

The term of a "standing" 8 count in amateur boxing can also mean that the fight has not been knocked down but seems in trouble and the ref decides to give him 8 seconds to recover from basically being out on his feet.

you are correct; the standing 8 count doesnt exist in pro boxing in most states, certainly not in nevada, california, and i think NJ. the standing 8 occurs when the beaten fighter is standing. this is not the same when the ropes are determined to hold the fighter up, in which case it is scored a knock down. it gets confusing when a fighter gets knocked down, and the ref starts counting, ending on eight, then makes a determination if he can go on or not. they stop at 8 to allow the two seconds to allow the fighter walk forward to further evaluate him. it is a ten second maximum break in the action. counting after a knock down and counting after stopping the action of a standing fighter is not same. the standing 8, as previously mentioned, is very uncommon these days...in the pros

Back