SS Question

KnightTemplar

Green(Goblin)Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
And before everyone shouts, "READ THE FUCKING FAQ!!!", I have and this is'nt covered.

Starting Strength OR Practical Programming? The main differance I can see is that in SS there are no Pull-Ups, just Squat, Dead, Bench and Powercleans. In PP, the Powercleans are replaced by Pull-Ups.

So is one routine better than the other, given that both are Rippetoe's or is it just a matter of taste wether you prefer to Clean or Pull-Up?

It's a matter of taste.

That's not to say that power cleans = pull-ups but both routines are a good place to start.

You are supposed to add in pullups twice a week to the basic SS after a few weeks.

Noob Question Alert: do Powercleans and Deadlifts have a carry-over effect and make Pull-Ups stronger?

fuck the faq, actually read the books, you will learn a shitton more if you spend the $40 and buy them, and put some money in their author's pocket to boot.

I'd go with the regular SS program unless you want more emphasis on pullups and don't want to do deadlifts 2x a week. I went with the Practical Programming program instead of the regular SS program and I think I would have made better gains on the regular program and just did chins/pullups on the off days.

fuck the faq, actually read the books, you will learn a shitton more if you spend the $40 and buy them, and put some money in their author's pocket to boot.

+1 def get the books they are really good your learn alot more if u get them.

When next payday comes around I'll order SS from Asgard Press.

Last edited:
Back