Squirrel Appreciation Day

They don't have squirrels where I live, only mongooses. :-(

Squirrels are one of the cutest animals around imo. I love most rodents, their faces and big eyes are beautiful.
The only ones i don't like are really big one's that have the very skinny legs, i think they're from Sth America.

Dh0FeUy.jpg

Why do people love squirrels but hate rats?

I like them fried best. But braised in squirrel gravy is good too.

There was recently a population boom in the NE, leading to tons of them getting smeared on the roadways.

4f780ee2352cc.jpeg

They stole all of my parents pears and lots of people's apples. I once also had them get into the attic and had to cage them and transport them away, which was annoying. They also transport tics and are a host for the bacteria, which spreads Lyme disease.

Anyway, they're still chill little buggers, as they contribute greatly to the ecosystem via their caching behavior. They bury tons of acorns and such, but don't remember where they put them all - which leads to the spread of tree species such as oaks.

Last edited:
There was recently a population boom in the NE, leading to tons of them getting smeared on the roadways.

4f780ee2352cc.jpeg

They stole all of my parents pears and lots of people's apples. I once also had them get into the attic and had to cage them and transport them away, which was annoying. They also transport tics and are a host for the bacteria, which spreads Lyme disease.

Anyway, they're still chill little buggers, as they contribute greatly to the ecosystem via their caching behavior. They bury tons of acorns and such, but don't remember where they put them all - which leads to the spread of tree species such as oaks.

Why the population increase?

Less cats as pets that catch squirrels?

Milder winters?

Back