Squatting with flat feet

paperluigi0

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all

I have flat feet and suffer from over-pronation (aka my feet roll inwards). I have and use orthotics from a podiatric physician. Currently, I wear asics-motion control shoes while squatting. Should I switch over to a pair of Chucks or would my orthotics not work well in them?

Those running shoes will mess you up while squatting. Buy some flat-soled shoes (like the chucks you mentioned) and you should be right as rain...provided your feet are in good enough shape to handle the load.

I have high arches which causes my feet to roll inwards too. I wear flat canvas shoes for squatting. Doesnt really matter. Keep the weight on your heels and push your knees out.

Just had my first workout in the gym and my trainer told me to remove my shoes when sqautting. Is it okay to do that?

Those running shoes will mess you up while squatting. Buy some flat-soled shoes (like the chucks you mentioned) and you should be right as rain...provided your feet are in good enough shape to handle the load.

Why do running shoes mess you up while squatting?
I wear orthotics too and I squat in NB running shoes. I bought some Chucks after I saw some posts here about squatting flat-footed, but after walking in them I thought the running shoes were better because they have a little heel on them.

Hi all

I have flat feet and suffer from over-pronation (aka my feet roll inwards). I have and use orthotics from a podiatric physician. Currently, I wear asics-motion control shoes while squatting. Should I switch over to a pair of Chucks or would my orthotics not work well in them?

I think Eric Cressey had an article on T-Nation a while back talking about foot orthotics and squatting (and exercising in general). I think the take home message was that he didn't think they're a good idea... but then again, it depends on the case at hand, I'm sure. You might want to try to search for the article anyway.

I have mixed feelings about the use of foot orthotics while squatting but in the long run I don't think it'll matter that much. I don't think the foot wear has much bearing on the orthotics though. You should still be looking for thin soled shoes with minimal cushion. A lot of people like chuck's... I much prefer a wrestling or boxing shoe. I have orthotics as well but I only use them for running. One problem that you may have is trying to fit your orthotics in wrestling shoes. Mine tend to be a bit too wide for most wrestling shoes I

Because the cushioning in the shoe hinders the power transfer from your feet to the floor.

You want a basic, flat soled canvas shoe or barefoot for optimal lifting.

Also Oly shoes, I believe the heels on those are made of wood. Thats because the wood is solid which gives good power transfer, you dont see guys in the olympics doing their lifts with Nike running shoes do you.

Just had my first workout in the gym and my trainer told me to remove my shoes when sqautting. Is it okay to do that?

Like Saith said, it's fine if the gym allows it. Most commercial gyms won't. Like in my other post... I think wrestling shoes are more than good enough.

I have a similar problem. After 20rep squats my feet hurt.
But I don't use any special shoes.

while were on the subject I'll derail the thread a little bit:

a couple of weeks ago it was discussed somewhere about squating bare foot, and I gave it a try and really like it. feels good and as though i have more control. TS i would also recomend this.

I did read about people using their flat soled skate shoes in that thread too. to the people who are using them: are they your everyday footwear? do you find that they wear out at all from it? i go through shoes like mad just from walking around i pound my heel so the sole breaks down and gets holes. I'd need a new pair every 4 months if I did squats and deads in my skate shoes.

I've only wear my wrestling shoes for training... I've had them quite awhile now and they don't appear to be worn in the least. I wouldn't use them for daily wear... I guess you could if you wanted to though.

I have no idea what a skate shoe is. Is that like a wrestling shoe?

EDIT: Nevermind, Google to the rescue.

while were on the subject I'll derail the thread a little bit:

a couple of weeks ago it was discussed somewhere about squating bare foot, and I gave it a try and really like it. feels good and as though i have more control. TS i would also recomend this.

I did read about people using their flat soled skate shoes in that thread too. to the people who are using them: are they your everyday footwear? do you find that they wear out at all from it? i go through shoes like mad just from walking around i pound my heel so the sole breaks down and gets holes. I'd need a new pair every 4 months if I did squats and deads in my skate shoes.

I would use separate shoes for your training sessions.

I've only wear my wrestling shoes for training... I've had them quite awhile now and they don't appear to be worn in the least. I wouldn't use them for daily wear... I guess you could if you wanted to though.

I have no idea what a skate shoe is. Is that like a wrestling shoe?

Vans are typical skate shoes. They are constructed much like Chucks. Flat soled.

http://skate.vans.com/SHOES/overall.html

Me squatting in skate shoes:

<OBJECT height=350 width=425>
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9vsgZPcNorQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </OBJECT></P>

Why do running shoes mess you up while squatting?
I wear orthotics too and I squat in NB running shoes. I bought some Chucks after I saw some posts here about squatting flat-footed, but after walking in them I thought the running shoes were better because they have a little heel on them.

Running shoes are bad for 2 reasons. First, they have a compressable sole. The last thing you want when squatting is the force you are exerting against the bar to be eaten up by cushoning. Second, because they are made for running the have a curved outsole designed to "push" you over the toes with the help of gravity, making stable squatting that much harder.
If you squat with a narrower "olympic" style and you need a heel raise buy a pair of olympic weightlifting shoes. Or take you flat, firm soled chucks/skate/whatever shoes and squat with your heels on plates for a heel raise.

^^^Yeah that curve on running shoes completely screwed everything the first time i tried squatting in them......

being the resident sherdog black guy i use some old air force ones for my lifting shoes

Running shoes are bad for 2 reasons. First, they have a compressable sole. The last thing you want when squatting is the force you are exerting against the bar to be eaten up by cushoning. Second, because they are made for running the have a curved outsole designed to "push" you over the toes with the help of gravity, making stable squatting that much harder.
If you squat with a narrower "olympic" style and you need a heel raise buy a pair of olympic weightlifting shoes. Or take you flat, firm soled chucks/skate/whatever shoes and squat with your heels on plates for a heel raise.

I will try squating with the Chucks tomorrow and see how it feels.
Thanks for the input.

^^^Yeah that curve on running shoes completely screwed everything the first time i tried squatting in them......

being the resident sherdog black guy i use some old air force ones for my lifting shoes

I thought that was Barut.

Back