Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
My 5/3/1 template is

Squats
Bench
Pistols
DB Bench
Chinups (as its own exercise, not between sets)

deadlifts
bent over rows
single stiff legged deadlifts
DBRows

Squats
Military Press
Lunges
DB Military

My question is, should the squats on day one, the one with bench be 5/3/1 or 5x3. I read an article that had you squatting twice or three times / week and he advised 5x3. I think this way might work better, as then I will have more energy for benching, and wont have two 95% squat days in a cycle. What do you think, and what kind of % do you think it should be? i was thinking 80%

Also in the FAQ, FYI.

Cheers guys, I was looking at the thread linked from the FAQ, thats where I got the idea, I just missed the numbers.

It's a little like the Texas Method approach to squatting.

You can also sub out the stiff legged deadlifts on Wednesday for Front Squats if you want to squat 3x per week, still good assistance for your deadlift and some upper back work at the same time.

I've been running this for a while - really like it.

Have you ever run the full body template Calvus?

Have you ever run the full body template Calvus?

Over the past 2 years I've run 5/3/1 & I've experimented with the following variations:

- 4 days / week
- 3 days /week + squatting 3 days /week
- 3 days / week, squatting & benching twice /week
- I also did 4 months of TJM last year

I might be program hopping too much, but I try to tweak things slightly & stick with the basic 5/3/1 program because I like it & I understand it.

I really like the variations where I squat more than once a week.

You're not really program hopping as the progression and main lifts are the same, it's more your template that changes. And if you're making gains who cares?

Over the past 2 years I've run 5/3/1 & I've experimented with the following variations:

- 4 days / week
- 3 days /week + squatting 3 days /week
- 3 days / week, squatting & benching twice /week
- I also did 4 months of TJM last year

I might be program hopping too much, but I try to tweak things slightly & stick with the basic 5/3/1 program because I like it & I understand it.

I really like the variations where I squat more than once a week.

Could you outline how you programmed this?

Back