• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Squats are resulting in pulled Hams

1. I never said that the way powerlifters lift wrong, just that alot of athletic trainers use a more neutral spine style.

2. Rip is def not a high level powerlifter coach.
However he teaches a good beginner squat with safe mechanics for people starting out.
I even said that once he gets better he can modify his squat to get more poundage.

3. I meant that in the begining it can be a good idea to learn how to drive out of the hole without momentun.
Just like alot of coaches start with box squats so people can feel how to get power out of the hole without the stretch reflex.
Not that there is anything wrong with using the stretch reflex later on when you get experinced.
Also Charlie Weingroff (Pt and powerlifter with 4x bw squat)
Talks about how alot of great lifters train with neutral spine 90% of the time then when they do a meet it will look alot different.

4. My advice is sound but you cant seem to accept there are many schools of teaching squats.
Ive never said there is anything wrong with doing it like a powerlifter, just that imo it can be better to learn a more basic "neutral" squat before adjusting it into a more advanced version.
For instance the hard arching alot of strong lifters use can put alot of strain on less experinced people since they get into hyperextension.

5.Whatever dude, you dont know anything about me, ive squatted 400pounds before i blew out my back.
Im nothing special but i read alot and have trained with some strong people.
Ive also spent alot of time with some high level trainers who have showed me why different people with different goals can do lifts very differently.

Lol.

I found the Dunning-Krueger post informative. My area of education is developmental psychology but it's been twenty years since I've been more than a passive and narrowly task focused observer.

long as we're talking about squats
think i know what's going on but since there wasn't anybody there to get a second set of eyes from i have this. camera angle could be better

Back