Squats 2 or 4 times a week?

iohc86

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Heres an example of what im talking about. (note: this is not my squatting program and is nothing more than an example)

2 day split
Day 1: 9 sets of squats
Day 2: 9 sets of squats
total: 18 squats a week
vs

4 day split
Day 1: 5 sets of squats
Day 2: 5 sets of squats
Day 3: 5 sets of squats
Day 4: 5 sets of squats
total: 20 squats a week

Basically the 2 day split will allow you to reach higher sets/intensity per workout. Whereas the 4 day split will allow you to do more sets per week. Which is better for leg power and explosiveness?

9 sets of squats? wtf reps are in those sets?

(note: this is not my squatting program and is nothing more than an example)

Heres what im trying to say. Would it be better to squat 2 times a week with higher sets per workout or 4 times a week with lower sets per workout but higher overall sets per week?

Nothing is better, almost anything will work for some time and nothing will work forever. People have had great success squatting 1x, 2x, 4x, or 6x a week.

What I'd do: squat twice a week with a relatively high tonnage, yet keep reps low

depends on your recovery abilities bro. I dont care how light I squat 4 times a week...there's just no way I could recover....then again there are others who do smolov and can get through it for a short period...just depends...

however as already said...almost any sound program/approach to lifting will work but only for a limited period...

Once a week works fine for me on everything but the bench press or OHP.

I'm the opposite, bench is fine once a week, but I need to squat more frequently.

What's does your program look like in general? What kinds of squats are you speaking of? What is your assistance work?

Personally, I caanot lift anymore than twice per week. I hit compound movements like Power Cleans, Front Squats, Clean and Press, sometimes Deadlifts too.

But doing those twice a week is plenty. Compound lifts really do drain your Central Nervous System. When I bump up wrestling practice to 4 times a week, I don't even bother to lift heavy iron.

i have my squat day 1x a week and thats all i can manage

congrats on the recovery

Back