Squat problem - need alt exercises

RobT

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I currently have a problem with my elbow (trapped or pinched nerve I think, I'm seeing the doc about it on Tuesday) which prevents me from squatting properly. I also can't do lunges, and any other squat where I have to hold the bar with bent arms.

It causes me pain (as my elbow is bent throughout the set) and eventually my arm goes numb to the point I can no longer hold the bar.

Front and hack squats are ok, so I'll be doing them.

I was wondering, is it worth using any machines while I can't full squat? Leg press, leg extension, hamstring curl... whatever, would any of them be any good for now?

Other exercises which are effected are chins, any sort of rows, and pull-downs (I can DL and do pushing movements without problem) but not to the extent that it prevents me from doing them (although with slightly restricted ROM).

I really don't want to miss out on working my legs, so any help would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Yeah pistols and if possible Zercher squats. This sounds like a good time for you to focus more on deadlifts and deadlift variants. To get more legs involved stand, on plates or something.

RobT said:
Ok, I currently have a problem with my elbow (trapped or pinched nerve I think, I'm seeing the doc about it on Tuesday) which prevents me from squatting properly. I also can't do lunges, and any other squat where I have to hold the bar with bent arms.

It causes me pain (as my elbow is bent throughout the set) and eventually my arm goes numb to the point I can no longer hold the bar.

Front and hack squats are ok, so I'll be doing them.

I was wondering, is it worth using any machines while I can't full squat? Leg press, leg extension, hamstring curl... whatever, would any of them be any good for now?

Other exercises which are effected are chins, any sort of rows, and pull-downs (I can DL and do pushing movements without problem) but not to the extent that it prevents me from doing them (although with slightly restricted ROM).

I really don't want to miss out on working my legs, so any help would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Sounds like ulnar nerve entrapment.

After years of Muay Thai training, I caused considerable damage to my ulnar nerve in my elbow also, and by the sounds of your description, it may be a similar problem.

http://www.sicot.org/IO_reports/07-2002/1-07-2002.php

Cubital tunnel syndrome due to the anconeus epitrochlearis in an amateur weight lifter
In-Ho Jeon MD, Poong-Taek Kim MD , II-Hyung Park MD, Hee-Soo Kyung MD, Joo-Chul Ihn MD

Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University Taegu, Korea

Correspondence
Poong-Taek Kim, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Kyungpook National University Hospital 50, 2-Ga, Samduk, Chung-Gu Taegu, 700-721, KOREA (South). Tel: +82-53-420-5630 Fax: +82-53-422-6605
e-mail: [email protected]

Abstract
A Cubital tunnel syndrome caused by hypertrophy of the aberrant muscle, anconeus epitrochlearis in an amateur weight lifter is presented.
R

Sounds like that could be it, yeah. Cheers Entropy. I don't exactly have massive arms or anything though!

Surgery would suck, but I guess I'll find out what is needed soon.

Cheers for the help guys.

In humans, the muscle is probably atavistic and is replaced by a band passing in the same direction as the muscle,

I'm glad they cleared up the confusion. I really wanted to know what would happen in frogs.

if you can do front squats focus on those a for a while. also keep deadlifts if you can.

RobT said:
Sounds like that could be it, yeah. Cheers Entropy. I don't exactly have massive arms or anything though!

Surgery would suck, but I guess I'll find out what is needed soon.

Cheers for the help guys.

At 18 inches, I don't have massive arms either. The ulnar nerve damage I sustained was impact related as a result of heavy bag and pad work.

Good mornings, Zercher Deadlifts or squats, Front squats, Hyperextensions/Row

Ok, I'll bump this thread to the top rather than start a new one...

Entropy, you were indeed spot on. I have ulnar nerve entrapment. I have some stretching exercises to do, combined with trying not to do activities which keep my arm bent (makes typing all day in work hard) and wearing a splint at night. If this doesn't help, sounds like I'll be getting cut open.

I've been using front squats now, but am having a hard time with the technique as far as holding the bar in place goes. I obviously can't use elbows straight out ahead of me and bend my arms back (due to the nerve problem), so I am crossing my arms high, and holding the bar like that. However, it doesn't feel that sturdy and the bar is slipping around a lot.

Can anyone offer me some help on this? Any links to pictures showing correct technique? Thanks a lot for any help.

RobT said:
Ok, I'll bump this thread to the top rather than start a new one...

Entropy, you were indeed spot on. I have ulnar nerve entrapment. I have some stretching exercises to do, combined with trying not to do activities which keep my arm bent (makes typing all day in work hard) and wearing a splint at night. If this doesn't help, sounds like I'll be getting cut open.

I've been using front squats now, but am having a hard time with the technique as far as holding the bar in place goes. I obviously can't use elbows straight out ahead of me and bend my arms back (due to the nerve problem), so I am crossing my arms high, and holding the bar like that. However, it doesn't feel that sturdy and the bar is slipping around a lot.

Can anyone offer me some help on this? Any links to pictures showing correct technique? Thanks a lot for any help.

Front squats can be done with your arms completely extended directly in front of you, would that work?

Sumo deadlifts to me are a lot like squats. You might give them a try. Also, attaching weights to a dipping belt and standing on some plates and doing squats like that might help too.

Back