Squat Overtraining.

Baconator69**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For the past week I have been having alot of pain in my legs. Specifically the hips and quads. After workouts I can barley walk and my physiotherapist and massage therapist have been telling me for a while "Lay off teh squats" To which I of course replied "GTFO I need to squat as much weight as I can ofr a 5x5"

I did a google search and have alot of teh symptoms of over training.

•Decreased performance (strength, power, muscle endurance, cardiovascular endurance)
•Decreased training tolerance and increased recovery requirements
•Decreased motor coordination
•Increased technical faults

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f49/my-quest-sanity-strength-1280737/

this is my trainin glog for the past 5-6 weeks. I have added 45lbs to my squat but felt once I hit 225lbs it got very hard and I thought that a plateau may be comming on, but I have never had a plateau being a novice.
I was thinking maybe having wed/ a lighter day of squats maybe doing 3x5 instead of 5x5.

Any suggestions on what I can do? Im certainly not going to squat for teh next week or so I feel like a 80 year old man.

Thank you in advance.

You wont be overtraining your body can take an absolute beat down before you start its classed as overtraining.

If you feel overtrained, take 10 days off or something. You will gain more from recovering properly than you will lose from not training.

According to your log, you've been squatting 3 days every week, 5 reps for five sets across, on a linear progression (meaning you either increase the weight or use the same as last time).

Now, why would you do that?

hahahah i remember back at Broz's gym we had a wrestler that said the same thing, Broz asked him how many times a week he was squatting, 5 replied the wrestler, Broz asked him how many times a day and the wrestler replied once, Broz then laughed at him.

basically you may be undereating or undersleeping, i've seen guys do high frequency training up to 2-3 times a day 6 days a week

hahahah i remember back at Broz's gym we had a wrestler that said the same thing, Broz asked him how many times a week he was squatting, 5 replied the wrestler, Broz asked him how many times a day and the wrestler replied once, Broz then laughed at him.

basically you may be undereating or undersleeping, i've seen guys do high frequency training up to 2-3 times a day 6 days a week

You were training under Broz? Are training oly lifting?

Are you saying that you've seen guys do anything remotely similar to 5x5 squats (with no high/low intensity periodization) 6 days a week and multiple times per day at that?? I seriously call major bs here.

I remember once Blenderate was saying somethink like some olympic lifters squat up to 18 times per week or somethink insane with diffrent %s but i cant remember what thread it was in.

5x5 three days/week is a lot of volume so it could be that you are undereating or undersleeping and it has finally caught up with you. I think it's more likely that your noob gains are slowing down a bit so you will have to switch to something like 3x5 so you can recover. It might also be time to switch to a more intermediate program like Bill Starr 5x5 or the Texas Method, both have Wednesday as a lighter day.

5x5 three days/week is a lot of volume so it could be that you are undereating or undersleeping and it has finally caught up with you. I think it's more likely that your noob gains are slowing down a bit so you will have to switch to something like 3x5 so you can recover. It might also be time to switch to a more intermediate program like Bill Starr 5x5 or the Texas Method, both have Wednesday as a lighter day.

This. I'm doing SS Practical Programing and Squatting 3X5 three times a week - and Deadlifting once a week - is kicking my ass.:eek:

^ Embrace the squats i use to love when i squatted 3 times a week it made me happy! :icon_twis

.... yes i enjoy squats im a freak

According to your log, you've been squatting 3 days every week, 5 reps for five sets across, on a linear progression (meaning you either increase the weight or use the same as last time).

Now, why would you do that?

It is my understanding that this is a good way to get stronger.

It's called DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) my wee friend. You can only gain through the pain I'm afraid. Although I wonder what you doing with a physiologist and physical therapist?

It's called DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) my wee friend. You can only gain through the pain I'm afraid. Although I wonder what you doing with a physiologist and physical therapist?

I have a massage therapist and a physio guy I go see. More so teh massage therapist just because I have it convered in my work benifits. I see her about 2x a week. its nice

Well let me just say that the faq clearly states that if you feel you have an injury to seek medical help. What were you not satisfied when your doctor told you to cease and desist? I don't know about the rest of yea sherdoggians but i think you should listen to your doctor and don't ask mindless questions were not qualified to answer.

^ Most doctors don't no jack shit about training and will always just say maybe you should stop training for awhile.

Well let me just say that the faq clearly states that if you feel you have an injury to seek medical help. What were you not satisfied when your doctor told you to cease and desist? I don't know about the rest of yea sherdoggians but i think you should listen to your doctor and don't ask mindless questions were not qualified to answer.

There's a big difference between DOMS or muscle soreness vs. pain from an injury. It sounds like Baconator is experiencing the former due to his high volume of squats.

Take a deload, and when you get back to lifting, make sure you're getting enough food and rest. If you still feel like you're overtraining, then it probably means it's time for you to switch away from linear progression and onto something else, like texas method, or the Bill Starr 5x5.

TY for the replis you guys rock. I think it is from not eating correctly the past two weeks/not sleeping well either and just too much volume on the squats seeing as how I have never squatted bwefore about 6 months ago.

Im going to take a full week off any lifting and see what happens when I go back. I was readign about the Bill Starr method and it seems interesting and less taxing on my body.

I wouldnt stop squatting completely. squat 2 times a week to 40-60% until you feel comfortable and do some light front squats. Usually you what happens with the 5x5 with beginners is that you increase weight every week you will be squatting above your 80% of your max pretty quickly. You will be able to keep increasing weight for some time but your form will deteriorate.

you can try increasing weight at a more steady rate.
example: do 4x4 with a weight that you can do with good form. next week you do 4 5 5 4 reps.
5 5 5 5 reps, 5 6 6 5 reps and so on for lets say 8 weeks. then you increase the weight with 5 kg and go back to 4x4 reps. that gives you lots of time to adapt and your form will improve, also you will get used to the weight on your shoulders.

Back