squat from the bottom of the rack

peanut butter

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
is it possible 2 avoid the decent and work from the bottom up, anyone tried this. just a thought?

I don't know for sure but I would guess that that would be a bad idea.

well like I said, I don't know for sure.

Carnal should be in before long to give you and I a good explanation.

I think it has something to do with knee damage.

I tried it a while ago and it's tough as hell. Brooks Kubik recommends it in his book, 'Dinosaur Training' which should be in every strength athlete's library.

Yep, a lot of people call them "dead starts".

This is actually how I have to squat at home, since I don't have a power rack. I actually use two saw horses for my squatting. Basically, I set the bar on the horses, and then I have to squeeze myself under the bar in order to dead start the first rep. Works pretty well actually since the horses are just tall enough so that the bar sits in a good "ass to grass" position for me. That way I can still go slightly below parallel on the subsequent reps and not touch the horses.

The drawback is that this limits the amount of weight I can handle. Generally, most people can "dead start" less weight out of the low position as opposed to what they can walk out of the racks. Has to do with the stretch reflex and all that rot.

They absolutely do not hurt my knees. In fact, my knees feel much better after having resumed squatting about a month ago. The dead starts are actually great for starting strength.

Isn't it kinda the same thing when starting off on heavy dumbbells for bench or something?...usually, at least for me, when going heavy, the first rep is ALWAYS the hardest, because you are kind of at a dead start...

Trains one from their weaskest postion first. Get your weakest part stronger and one will get overall stronger much better and faster and in the long run have less injuries. One of the best exercises one can do.

Not only have i done them but I would recomend them to anyone looking to add some weight to their squats.

Box squats or just ass to the grass squats.

Either will help starting or sticking point.

Interesting thoughts. I might give it a try one of these days.

Diligent said:
Isn't it kinda the same thing when starting off on heavy dumbbells for bench or something?...usually, at least for me, when going heavy, the first rep is ALWAYS the hardest, because you are kind of at a dead start...
Exactly...Lou Simmons recommends these for the bench and squats both. He refers to them as concentrics. They are very good for building strength since you don't get the benefit of a stretch reflex (the thing that makes the second DB press or deadlift rep easier than the first. Lou has his lifters start with the bar suspended in heavy duty chains hooked to the top of the power rack instead of off the pins for the sake of mobility from the start, but from the pins will work as well (just might not be as comfortable to start). Singles work the best due to the nature (obviously you'll have a stretch reflex after the first), but if you do reps, be sure to pause good between each one.

Ted-P said:
Box squats or just ass to the grass squats.

Either will help starting or sticking point.

Exactly. Why risk injury in an awkward position?

Stall at the bottom a couple seconds without any assistance (called an "isometric hold") or squat to a box, release tension, and stand up.

It's the same damn thing.

I am with Wasptrash here. Best done for singles, great for building limit strength.

Some things to watch out for though:

-GMing the weight up. You really have to focus on starting the lift with your head/upperback/shoulders
-Lateral Knee movements (knees caving in), this is generally a sign of weak hips but for some reason the bottom position squat can make this happen other times as well. If your knees are coming in, ease off the weight.

I also highly advise you do some light free squatting as well, because while I do believe properly performed bottom position squats can improve strength greatly, they don't do a heck of a lot for your form. If you do nothing but BPS's for a month then try a max, it isn't gonnna be pretty. So plan for time to adapt back to regular squats, or keep them in your routine as assistance or something.

wasptrash said:
Exactly...Lou Simmons recommends these for the bench and squats both. He refers to them as concentrics. They are very good for building strength since you don't get the benefit of a stretch reflex (the thing that makes the second DB press or deadlift rep easier than the first. Lou has his lifters start with the bar suspended in heavy duty chains hooked to the top of the power rack instead of off the pins for the sake of mobility from the start, but from the pins will work as well (just might not be as comfortable to start). Singles work the best due to the nature (obviously you'll have a stretch reflex after the first), but if you do reps, be sure to pause good between each one.

Hm, cool. That's pretty neat about what Simmons does with the bar suspended in heavy chains and what not... :D

Yes, I agree, I forgot to add that in my last post, but when you choose to do the bottom position squats thy are best done for single max reps. Well said Wasptrash.

Back