Sprints as a finisher

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by BazUK, Dec 31, 2012.

1. BazUK

BazUK White Belt

Would there be any benefit of adding 5-10 50-100m sprints to the end of a:

(a) strength workout eg SS or 5/3/1
    (b) conditioning workout eg 50 shouldering a 85kg sandbag + 30 weighted dips (30kg)

or should I stick with sandbag bearhug carries and wheelbarrow pushes.

I'm mostly happy with my strength and size gains at the moment but would like to lose a bit more bf overall.

Baz

2. calvus

calvus Getting Crunk

Are you trying to add sprints to increase speed/explosiveness? Or for conditioning?

If you're trying to improve your speed/explosiveness, then I would do them at the beginning of the workout, and keep the distances to 10-40m per sprint, and <200m per total sprint workout. (This is from Chad Wesley Smith's guidance in The Juggernaut Method). Rest ~30s for every 10m sprinted. You can use a Prilipin-type progression, where each week you run fewer sets of slightly longer sprints. I've done this before & really liked it.

For conditioning, I would try to set the sprints up for HIIT or Tabata, timing the sprints & the recovery. Personally, I don't like sprinting after lifting, but I've done other types of HIIT at the end of my workout & got good results.

3. ripskater

ripskater Guest

I agree with Calvus. I never liked sprinting after lifting. Sprinting after lifts always felt odd. Sometimes I would cramp and I had a fear of pulling a muscle after lifting. I did a few 60 m sprints before my lifts and I always seemed to lift better after sprints. But never the other way around for some reason. So I would sprint before lifting.

4. CRZA

CRZA Purple Belt

Agree with above. I think going all out on sprints is a bad idea when your muscles are fatigued.

You could do
    warm up
    a) Sprints (for power/explosivness)
    b) SS (strenght)
    c) Conditioning (conditioning)

I actually think your conditioning with sandbags sound great as a finisher, and I wouldnt add more to that if your goal is to burn fat.

5. EddieLovesYou

EddieLovesYou Blue Belt

I do hill sprints, usually 6 reps of about 15 seconds, after lifting.

6. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

100m sprints after a heavy strength workout is a recipe for injury.

Short sprints at the beginning of your workout is a much better option, as others suggested.

7. Im so Moldy

Im so Moldy Blue Belt

Is jogging after a workout also likely to cause injury, or is that a good time to jog?

8. NurseKnuckles

NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

Calvus and this, pretty much

9. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

No reason why jogging after a strength workout would be likely to cause injury.

Knock yourself out.

10. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsu Black Belt

I prefer to do jogging after lifting to help flush the muscles with blood to reduce waste products and soreness.