Spotting a fraudulent trainer 101:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its pronounced "Hi-per*trophy" Or, "hi-per*trofey" There is a pause after the "hi" and then the emphasis is on the "per."

But bottom line, being a certified personal trainer is better than just being a guy who says he's a trainer but has no certification, liablilty insurance, firstaid/AED/CPR certification ..... and their are alot of guys out their who do that.

You know I just noticed this and realized I forgot to put it in the initial post. Your trainer by ALL MEANS SHOULD be at the very least CPR certified (meaning he can show you a card or document that states it), but preferrably have some basic skills in actual first-aid that come from logged classroom time.

In the article I read there was a guy who was hospitalized by his trainer. In the first workout the trainer loaded him up on the leg-press machine as much as he could saying he "just wanted to see what the client could do." The dude ended up rupturing something and passed out in the middle of the workout. The trainer had no idea what to do to help him until Paramedics arrived. The guy ended up having to have surgery that could have possibly been prevented if the trainer had A) not done that in the first-place and B) knew to place the guy's body in a specific position once passed out.

Now here's the worst part. The dude didn't ever confront the trainer. This happens a lot. Trainers hurt people and no one says shit about it because they don't want to look like sissies, or just feel overpowered by the job title. I'm not saying be an asshole customer who bitches all the time, but don't be afraid to question what is completely appropriate to question regarding your health and tentative injury-factor.

Great points King.

On the confrontation thing a good trainer will answer your questions if you confront about something, so ask questions if you don't think something is right. If they get defensive, chances are they are not a good trainer. If something doesn't look or feel right, ask.

just do what i do

get certified and get all the stuff you need to be reputable (liability insurance, first aid/cpr/aed certified) then work on a fake european accent so you can seduce all your rich female clients

johnnynoname said:
just do what i do

get certified and get all the stuff you need to be reputable (liability insurance, first aid/cpr/aed certified) then work on a fake european accent so you can seduce all your rich female clients

Don't lie Johnny you meant male right?

MPCOA said:
Don't lie Johnny you meant male right?

i am so busted

honestly though, if i had to have a gay clientele I would just wear the tightest workout clothes and charge 200 dollars a hour. i mean come on guys, business is business

My mother's husband is a former Mr. Orlando and trains people in Orlando in a gym he owns and MOST of his clients are gay men. Wierd how it even rubs off on you, he has taken on some of their qualities just because of catering to them. But he drives a Jag so, whatever works. lol

He calls his son "sssssweetheart." He ends his sentences by raising his voice. Uhhh, you'd get the impression that he works out but is never smelly or dirty. He has the George Michael 5 o'clock shadow...he's slightly more touchy-feely than a former Pan American games Boxer SHOULD be. Make no mistake, the dude's no punk, but when you hang around them all day it WILL affect you.

Exactly, but he wasn't that way before he started training them. Now he tap-dances the line. Like that episode of South Park. lol

Has anyone watched the shoe "The Gym" on FitTV? The trainers on the show seem to obsess over thier certifications. Like the one chick trainer was trying to give another trainer advice and she was like, "I have eight certifications, so I know what I am talking about."

CSCS is good. Some of the NFL's trainers have it.

Has anyone watched the shoe "The Gym" on FitTV? The trainers on the show seem to obsess over thier certifications. Like the one chick trainer was trying to give another trainer advice and she was like, "I have eight certifications, so I know what I am talking about."

There's a difference between having them in the case that someone questions your credibility, and having them handy to show off like a scout merit badge.

I remember going to the gym at Uni after being off for a year. I was assigned to a personal trainer who was "new". He gave me a full body workout routine that worked the muscle groups in nonsensical order with random sets, reps and weights and extremely short rest periods. For instance 6 sets of 6 bicep curls with 60kg but then having squats for 3 sets and only 40kg. I questioned his knowledge and after arguing a poor case told him to fuck off and work with the overweight women in the gym. A week later he commented that I hadn't got any bigger than last week and that his methods were better than mine. What a tool.

A week later he commented that I hadn't got any bigger than last week and that his methods were better than mine.

I think this is the funniest part of that post. Oh yes, because week-to-week you should show INCREDIBLE gains and cuts. Spot-on training will always result in this, anyone who cannot accomplish it just sucks.

All you have to do to be ISSA certified is read a book and take a test. I know two people who have done it and both say it is pretty much a joke.

All you have to do to be ISSA certified is read a book and take a test. I know two people who have done it and both say it is pretty much a joke.

I know more than two "trainers" who haven't even done that, and more than two websites where you don't need to read anything, the test is geared toward where you will not fail. By mentioning ISSA and then Certification by the Strength and Conditioning Association I was just mainly covering the scope from halfway credible online (ISSA) to more than credible where you actually have to log classroom hours yearly (requried by the Strengh and Conditioning Association).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back